The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Thread: Cream's Badge

Cream's Badge

I'm working on a tutorial for Badge. Done so far is the whole song as a guitar cover (using one of the stereo channels of the 1968 recording, without the guitar, as a backing track) and a 12-minute lesson covering the rhythm guitar. I'll do the tutorials for the fills, the Lesley guitar and the solo, shortly.

Re: Cream's Badge

Thanks! You will never go wrong in my book doing primers on Cream songs. I love to have the impressions of people who have listened carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by blauserk View Post
    Thanks! You will never go wrong in my book doing primers on Cream songs. I love to have the impressions of people who have listened carefully.
    Thanks, blauserk.

Les Paul Forum Member fernieite's Avatar

Good stuff man. Thanks!

Les Paul Forum Member

Fantastic, and thank you

Tutorial for the 'Leslie' bridge part:

Tutorial for the four lead guitar licks:

Last of the four tutorials for Badge, this one for Eric's solo...

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

Great stuff! Great song too! In my opinion you really nailed it!

Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    Great stuff! Great song too! In my opinion you really nailed it!
    Thank you. Yes, itís a fabulous tune with some great guitar parts.

Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1242 View Post
    I'm working on a tutorial for Badge. Done so far is the whole song as a guitar cover (using one of the stereo channels of the 1968 recording, without the guitar, as a backing track) and a 12-minute lesson covering the rhythm guitar. I'll do the tutorials for the fills, the Lesley guitar and the solo, shortly.

dude this was awesome!

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

This is something else your playing is spot on you are a guitarist ! , IM gonna see how much I can
    butcher this up .

Disclaimer , atleast I don't think all this expensive gear makes me a guitar player !
    Last edited by AA00475Bassman; 05-28-18 at 04:16 PM.
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !
    Many great sounding guitar's are passed over due to neck profile , my guitars are all over the map neck profile wise , being a hack this has little effect on how a guitar plays or sounds !

How long did it take you to remember the solo exactly? Reason I ask is back in the 80's I was with an artist named Sam Neely who had some top 20 hits in the mid/ late 70's into the 80's. When I joined he handed me a stack of LP's & 45's and said " learn these note for note." Not an easy task, but not really hard since I was familiar with his music. But still to cop the notes, feel & tone wasn't a walk in the grass. I was with him 4-5 years..
    Cheers!

How long did it take you to remember the solo exactly? Reason I ask is back in the 80's I was with an artist named Sam Neely who had some top 20 hits in the mid/ late 70's into the 80's. When I joined he handed me a stack of LP's & 45's and said " learn these note for note." Not an easy task, but not really hard since I was familiar with his music. But still to cop the notes, feel & tone wasn't a walk in the grass. I was with him 4-5 years..
    Cheers!
    Gosh, thats hard to answer because, like so many on here, Iíve grown up with it, so it was already in my head and it was just a case of drilling down to the nuances. What i do find hard to remember are little variations in rhythm guitar parts, for example the guitar riffs in Little Girl. I did about six or seven takes but only managed to remember everything on one of them. That sounds like quite a task you were given by Sam Neely!

Gosh, thats hard to answer because, like so many on here, Iíve grown up with it, so it was already in my head and it was just a case of drilling down to the nuances. What i do find hard to remember are little variations in rhythm guitar parts, for example the guitar riffs in Little Girl. I did about six or seven takes but only managed to remember everything on one of them. That sounds like quite a task you were given by Sam Neely!
    Yeah, when I joined he had already had two LP's on Capitol, one on A&M and some singles on Elektra and about six months after I joined we got a deal with MCA Records. this was 1982 and the record industry was still in full force.
    I think I was 16 when "Badge" came out and had already been a huge Cream/Eric fan! I still remember buying Disraeli Gears and then Wheels of Fire thru the post from some record shop.

Yeah, when I joined he had already had two LP's on Capitol, one on A&M and some singles on Elektra and about six months after I joined we got a deal with MCA Records. this was 1982 and the record industry was still in full force.
    I think I was 16 when "Badge" came out and had already been a huge Cream/Eric fan! I still remember buying Disraeli Gears and then Wheels of Fire thru the post from some record shop.

Amazing times. I was 7 when it came out. I grew up with the music of the 'sixties playing in our house, chiefly through my sister who, being a little older than me, used to head up to The Marquee and all around the Home Counties, seeing the greats of the day. I remember that her favourite was Geno Washington and the Ram Jam Band. She saw the Yardbirds many times, with EC and Jeff Beck.

Amazing times. I was 7 when it came out. I grew up with the music of the 'sixties playing in our house, chiefly through my sister who, being a little older than me, used to head up to The Marquee and all around the Home Counties, seeing the greats of the day. I remember that her favourite was Geno Washington and the Ram Jam Band. She saw the Yardbirds many times, with EC and Jeff Beck.
    Thanks really great! I bet she's right around my age (65). My Mum, of all folks, turned me onto Cream as she saw a glowing review of them in (I think) in Time magazine in 1967. I had already know of EC through my appreciation of The Yardbirds and Mayall. I bought the "Five Live Yardbirds" and a couple of other LP's with Clapton and also Jeff Beck. It was a great time to be into Rock music and the whole "Beat Groups" phenom. I use to get Rolling Stones LP's through a Mail Order catalouge and branched out from that. The early Stones were great as were the Yardbirds, Mayall, etc. I bet your Sis has some stories! Did she ever take any piccy's back then?
    Cheers!

Thanks really great! I bet she's right around my age (65). My Mum, of all folks, turned me onto Cream as she saw a glowing review of them in (I think) in Time magazine in 1967. I had already know of EC through my appreciation of The Yardbirds and Mayall. I bought the "Five Live Yardbirds" and a couple of other LP's with Clapton and also Jeff Beck. It was a great time to be into Rock music and the whole "Beat Groups" phenom. I use to get Rolling Stones LP's through a Mail Order catalouge and branched out from that. The early Stones were great as were the Yardbirds, Mayall, etc. I bet your Sis has some stories! Did she ever take any piccy's back then?
    Cheers!
    Sad to say she didn't take any pictures at all :-( She did, however, have a great little autograph book, in which she had most of the names, Beck, Eric, Steve Marriot, etc., and also a few strands of hair that she had pulled from the heads of various favourites (ouch!) .