• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Using the tone Knob

jalevinemd

Hopefully I can express myself here clearly. I have gigged primarily with my Alembics. They have a bright switch for each pickup. So if I'm playing a song that needs more of the "trebly" sound of a Strat, I can simply engage that switch without changing any settings on my board or the amp.

I want to start gigging with my new Memphis ES-335 and am trying to figure out the best way to accomplish this same thing. With my non-Alembics, I typically play with the tone all the way up and have the amp and board adjusted so as not to sound overly bright. The downside is that I cannot get any brighter if the song needs it, without tweaking the amp or the board. If I were to increase the treble on the amp and roll the tone down on the guitar a bit, I would be able to get a little brighter for those few songs by then rolling the tone up on the guitar. For the bulk of the songs where I need to be in my usual "tone zone" do you think the sound will be the same as having the tone on the guitar all the way up and the amp treble rolled down a bit as I usually have it?

In the simplest terms, I want to make sure the tone of 90% of my set doesn't;t suffer because of the other 10%.

Does this make any sense?

Regards,

Jonathan

renderit

You make perfect sense. But I had no idea the tone knobs turned...

Pellman73

Hopefully I can express myself here clearly. I have gigged primarily with my Alembics. They have a bright switch for each pickup. So if I'm playing a song that needs more of the "trebly" sound of a Strat, I can simply engage that switch without changing any settings on my board or the amp.

I want to start gigging with my new Memphis ES-335 and am trying to figure out the best way to accomplish this same thing. With my non-Alembics, I typically play with the tone all the way up and have the amp and board adjusted so as not to sound overly bright. The downside is that I cannot get any brighter if the song needs it, without tweaking the amp or the board. If I were to increase the treble on the amp and roll the tone down on the guitar a bit, I would be able to get a little brighter for those few songs by then rolling the tone up on the guitar. For the bulk of the songs where I need to be in my usual "tone zone" do you think the sound will be the same as having the tone on the guitar all the way up and the amp treble rolled down a bit as I usually have it?

In the simplest terms, I want to make sure the tone of 90% of my set doesn't;t suffer because of the other 10%.

Does this make any sense?

Regards,

Jonathan

http://www.songsimian.com/best-treble-booster-pedal-review/

Get things where you want them and get a treble boost pedal for your 10 percent

jalevinemd

http://www.songsimian.com/best-treble-booster-pedal-review/

Get things where you want them and get a treble boost pedal for your 10 percent

That's not going to be a realistic option here. I used to play with a Fractal FX8. I have downsized to a BOSS MS-3 with 3 of my own OD/Dist pedals - an SL Drive, Klon clone and ZenDrive clone. I have no room on the board for a treble boost. The BOSS MS-3 has all 45 songs in our setlist programmed into it. I can't go in and add a treble boost on the MS-3 for the 10% because I don't want to have to reprogram the unit every time I go from an Alembic to a Gibson. The treble/high end that I need for these few songs has to come from amp or guitar adjustments.

Doesn't anyone use the tone knob on their guitar as a treble boost?

Pellman73

That's not going to be a realistic option here. I used to play with a Fractal FX8. I have downsized to a BOSS MS-3 with 3 of my own OD/Dist pedals - an SL Drive, Klon clone and ZenDrive clone. I have no room on the board for a treble boost. The BOSS MS-3 has all 45 songs in our setlist programmed into it. I can't go in and add a treble boost on the MS-3 for the 10% because I don't want to have to reprogram the unit every time I go from an Alembic to a Gibson. The treble/high end that I need for these few songs has to come from amp or guitar adjustments.

took me a while but I understand now. You have your songs all programmed with the pedal board thing that accesses you effects as well as your overdrive pedals and you'd have to reprogram your pedalboard for each song.

what amp are you using?

I think you could totally do that if you set everything the way you want it and then when you want to get a treble boost w your guitar you could do that... I guess the only way to know is to try it and see if you like how it sounds?

ElectricGuitarM

I do. I use it often when playing acid rock songs.