• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2016 Studio faded goes out of tune sharp.

AlbanyCO

Hey guys, I have a question about my guitar. I’ve noticed that after tuning my guitar, if it sits for a few days without being played it goes out of tune sharp. It’s not just one string either. I’ve put a little graphite in the nut slots but it still does it. So I just tune it every time I pick it up to play. Why is this happening? Is it due to humidity or tempature changes or something? I would expect it to be flat but it’s just the opposite.

corpse

My guitars which live in a static temp controlled basement do too. Always sharp a few cents after they sit for any length of time.
So I tune them and play.

larryguitar

Hey guys, I have a question about my guitar. I’ve noticed that after tuning my guitar, if it sits for a few days without being played it goes out of tune sharp. It’s not just one string either. I’ve put a little graphite in the nut slots but it still does it. So I just tune it every time I pick it up to play. Why is this happening? Is it due to humidity or tempature changes or something? I would expect it to be flat but it’s just the opposite.

I'd do a very precise measurement of the relief, and see if the neck is moving; humidity can make the neck get 'bigger' at a very small scale, and that will make the neck 'longer' and tuning go sharp.

Larry

lvidal

If your place changes to cold temperature it will go flat. If there’s a considerable level of humidity it will go flat too. If yu can’t control the temperature to be stable you’ll should deal with that forever. Neck-thru-body guitars can retain better tuning from temperature changes, as double truss rod necks and fat necks too if they are of very hard wood like maple.

Big Al

It happens. My Teles do it, my Les Pauls too, overnite. Not a set up or neck issue.

peeninety

There's a number of reasons for tuning issues--age, nut, bridge, re-stinging process/technique, etc.--but guitars are made of wood, which swells and contracts with changes--event slight changes--in both temperature and humidity.

In my experience, some guitars seem more stable than others. My 1957 LP Junior is almost always consistent across all six strings: when the tuning changes over time due to fluctuations in temperature and humidity, all six strings are almost always exactly the same amount sharp or flat.

I generally expect any wooden instrument (solid, hollow, or semi) to need tuning before playing.

NYCBURST

I'd do a very precise measurement of the relief, and see if the neck is moving; humidity can make the neck get 'bigger' at a very small scale, and that will make the neck 'longer' and tuning go sharp.

Larry

Agree 100% with Larry, I'm very precise with my relief after I straighten the neck, the truss rod has to settle in and will pull the strings sharp. that's why I recommend loosening all the strings making an adjustment then seeing where you are. The string tension and truss rod are at a battle with each other, that is how it works.

Black58

There's a number of reasons for tuning issues--age, nut, bridge, re-stinging process/technique, etc.--but guitars are made of wood, which swells and contracts with changes--event slight changes--in both temperature and humidity.

In my experience, some guitars seem more stable than others. My 1957 LP Junior is almost always consistent across all six strings: when the tuning changes over time due to fluctuations in temperature and humidity, all six strings are almost always exactly the same amount sharp or flat.

I generally expect any wooden instrument (solid, hollow, or semi) to need tuning before playing.

That there is a BINGO! :salude .. I especially agree with some guitars being more stable than others. My '97 R8 (without playing) will stay in tune for close to a month. My '09 R8 will usually go out in 2 or 3 days! :hee .. And it ain't the age , either. I've had 'em both since new , and they've always been like that. :ganz