• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Killer flame under the goldtop R7 - now what do I do ?

tripletime

Les Paul Froum Member
More Baiting & Trolling Folks !

are you joking - what in the world is wrong with this topic ?

you can look at the control cavity - but it is not the same as what I did where you can literally see what the whole top looks like

don't call troll - you troll

here is what I did - for you nay sayers :

J.D.

Stripping a "figured" goldtop is a gamble. Some are hiding incredible wood and some are gold for good reason. You won't know for certain until that gold paint is gone. And that original gold paint has value.

If you go the refin route, do it correctly, meaning make the mahogany the correct maroon red color and have a reputable shop like Historic Makeovers do it. You'll probably not end up ahead from a pure financial perspective, but you might end up with a pretty convincing R9 conversion at a discount.

Pellman73

Stripping a "figured" goldtop is a gamble. Some are hiding incredible wood and some are gold for good reason. You won't know for certain until that gold paint is gone. And that original gold paint has value.

If you go the refin route, do it correctly, meaning make the mahogany the correct maroon red color and have a reputable shop like Historic Makeovers do it. You'll probably not end up ahead from a pure financial perspective, but you might end up with a pretty convincing R9 conversion at a discount.

thats a good idea

and have them throw a Braz board on there

El Gringo

I can HEP you there! I am a virtuoso Loothierre!

a) Buy a gooder belt sander than whats you gots.
....Use the type with the little bag hanging off'n it so's it will collect 1/10 of the sandings so you don't breath them.

1) Sand it with the belt sander with an 80 aught belt. Gets as much of the finishers off as it gotz PLASTICIZERS ins it!

b) After sanding remove the hardware and strings. They are now aged good.

45) Sand some more with the belted sander. Now use a finer 87 aught belt. They are harder to find but we want to do this right.

r) Check fer level. Make sure like hell you get that to flat as they don't perform dis step in the factory!

13) We want a vintage string height and we can fix it now by leveling off the higher frets with the belt sander.

19) Only show-offs use anything above the 12th fret so don't 'fret' as those disappear! Ha!

r2) Sand the headstock, there may be holly BURL under there! It might be Milton Burl though...

d2) Remove the tuning pegs. They are now worthless anyways!

365) You are now ready to finnish, so sell any furniture which is not modern.

69) Mask off'n yer floor in the living room. Hang plastic sheeting on the walls and floor and ceiling.
......Basically a kill room. Call Dexter for help.

96) Use an HCVLZ sprayer and a good rebreather. Record 'Luke, I am yer Fazza' the first night.

z) Use a good Nitro. Don't add ANY plasticizers. You will have to rub it on, but you now have a braggin' point!

23) Hand rub, then the guitar.

f) Put some hardware and THE OLD STRINGS back on, tune it, set the intonation then epoxy all moving parts.
....Youse got it right, don't wimp out! Aged strings are vintager. Peeps didn't used to change them!
I like # 23 ( but I would not touch one of my guitars after without washing my hands)

Tommy Tourbus

if you've got to have a flame top why not just sell it and get one w/a flamey top? :hmm makes better financial sense than a refin

tripletime

Les Paul Froum Member
if you've got to have a flame top why not just sell it and get one w/a flamey top? :hmm makes better financial sense than a refin

Because I could end up with an insane Historic Makeover guitar which has BRW board - correct nitro and looks like a real vintage burst for 6 which is around the same price that the dealers are selling run of the mill R9 to you guys

maybe do up like this - it could be pretty bitchin

http://historicmakeovers.com/guitars/faded-tobacco-sunburst/

Last edited:

tripletime

Les Paul Froum Member
I am going to send it to historic makers for a full blown refinish with Brazilian rosewood board and neck reshape and new inlay

thanks for the advice guys !

J.D.

I am going to send it to historic makers for a full blown refinish with Brazilian rosewood board and neck reshape and new inlay

thanks for the advice guys !

Kim will do you square.

My humble suggestion would be to have him strip the gold paint ONLY, and evaluate if you want a gold top only refin or if the top is good enough to warrant the whole enchilada. You then have to decide if the original frets and fretboard are good enough, or if the BRW is the way to go. Fortunately Kim will work with you along the journey.

Keep us posted on your project :jim

Maxmc

Pardon my ignorance, but why in this day and age would Gibson bury a good piece of bookmatched flame maple under gold paint?

J.D.

Back in the 2000s era, real plain stuff went to R8s, premium figure went to R9s and R0s, and "everything else" was used on R7 goldtops. Some of these billets were not very attractive, but some were really nice.

renderit

Pardon my ignorance, but why in this day and age would Gibson bury a good piece of bookmatched flame maple under gold paint?

If you pay them they will do it.

This one was spec'd that way from WW.

36143144352_ffc80fe8d5_b.jpg

This one I spec'd with WW's help. This is the top prior to assembleage:

35484935484_ca68f04b69_b.jpg

After paintage:

35925243910_5c5898019e_b.jpg

tripletime

Les Paul Froum Member
could you guys who have goldtops try it too and report back to this thread - its super easy

67SLP

I can HEP you there! I am a virtuoso Loothierre!

a) Buy a gooder belt sander than whats you gots.
....Use the type with the little bag hanging off'n it so's it will collect 1/10 of the sandings so you don't breath them.

1) Sand it with the belt sander with an 80 aught belt. Gets as much of the finishers off as it gotz PLASTICIZERS ins it!

b) After sanding remove the hardware and strings. They are now aged good.

45) Sand some more with the belted sander. Now use a finer 87 aught belt. They are harder to find but we want to do this right.

r) Check fer level. Make sure like hell you get that to flat as they don't perform dis step in the factory!

13) We want a vintage string height and we can fix it now by leveling off the higher frets with the belt sander.

19) Only show-offs use anything above the 12th fret so don't 'fret' as those disappear! Ha!

r2) Sand the headstock, there may be holly BURL under there! It might be Milton Burl though...

d2) Remove the tuning pegs. They are now worthless anyways!

365) You are now ready to finnish, so sell any furniture which is not modern.

69) Mask off'n yer floor in the living room. Hang plastic sheeting on the walls and floor and ceiling.
......Basically a kill room. Call Dexter for help.

96) Use an HCVLZ sprayer and a good rebreather. Record 'Luke, I am yer Fazza' the first night.

z) Use a good Nitro. Don't add ANY plasticizers. You will have to rub it on, but you now have a braggin' point!

23) Hand rub, then the guitar.

f) Put some hardware and THE OLD STRINGS back on, tune it, set the intonation then epoxy all moving parts.
....Youse got it right, don't wimp out! Aged strings are vintager. Peeps didn't used to change them!

I like where your head is at with the belt-sander... but your are making more work than necessary... I usually just fill the bath tube with a 50/50 mix of kerosine and hydrochloric acid... and just let the guitar sit in that overnight... it'll strip the paint right off... and give the hardware a wonderful vintage patina... whatever of it survives.

LOL. :laugh2: :hee

renderit

I like # 23 ( but I would not touch one of my guitars after without washing my hands)

Ooooh! You must be one of dem 'hoy te toy' people! Pro'ly wash 'em before goin' in da kitchen too?

I like where your head is at with the belt-sander... but your are making more work than necessary... I usually just fill the bath tube with a 50/50 mix of kerosine and hydrochloric acid... and just let the guitar sit in that overnight... it'll strip the paint right off... and give the hardware a wonderful vintage patina... whatever of it survives.

LOL. :laugh2: :hee

Who dis Patina? Dis ain't no GURLS geeter!

El Gringo

Ooooh! You must be one of dem 'hoy te toy' people! Pro'ly wash 'em before goin' in da kitchen too?

Who dis Patina? Dis ain't no GURLS geeter!
Ren , you are awesome and made me laugh really good . Thank you kindly . (If I am truthful my mother was always yelling at me to clean up)