NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member Cliff Gress's Avatar

Cars and guitar colors

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

Re: Cars and guitar colors

Love it!

nice, one of each please !! And the Caddy ~ 1961 ?

All Access/Backstage Pass BluesForDan's Avatar

there's a color on a new BMW (X2) that currently being advertised that I'd love to get painted on a Stratocaster body, it's sort of gold-ish
    Without coffee, I'd be useless.

Dave Davidson at the Songbird museum tells the story that when an artist came to Fullerton Leo Fender would go down to the local body shop and have them mix up a color from various OEM car catalogs. Hence these are Chevrolet Blue and Pantiac Blue Guitars. Close to exact mixes. Songbirds went to great lengths to collect all the paint catalogs.
    I th8nk they have all but 8 original Fullerton colors.

Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar

Yea theres some stuff about the paint colors is in the book George Fullerton wrote too—I feel like I read Leo wanted to make it cheap and accessible for people to get the colors right if they wanted to repaint their guitars... I’d have to fact check myself but that’s how I have it in my brain

https://www.amazon.com/Guitars-Georg.../dp/0634069225

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corpse View Post
    Dave Davidson at the Songbird museum tells the story that when an artist came to Fullerton Leo Fender would go down to the local body shop and have them mix up a color from various OEM car catalogs. Hence these are Chevrolet Blue and Pantiac Blue Guitars. Close to exact mixes. Songbirds went to great lengths to collect all the paint catalogs.
    I th8nk they have all but 8 original Fullerton colors.
    My 1965 Fender price lists mentions "Available in custom DuPont Duco finishes - 5% extra cost."
    I had heard that all you needed to do was give Fender the Duco color code number and they would by that paint and paint your guitar that actual color. No need for a body shop to mix the finishes, just buy the same paint as used by the car companies.
    It appears they offered Lucite colors also.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Tom you are completely right--

ok fellas here it is straight from the horses mouth (george fullerton), from his book "George and Leo"

One day I went to a local paint store and told the man in charge "I would like to have a special color mixed." I didn't really know what color I was looking for, except that it should be some shade of red. He and I went into his back room where he had hundreds of shades of colors. But after looking through the samples I didn't see any like what I had in mind.

The man mixed several different samples, until I finally picked out a certain color that was like what I sought. He mixed a can of paint for me to try out on a guitar body.

The prototype Jazzmaster guitar was dismantled and the raw wood body was used to test the color. A light colored undercoat was sprayed on the body and then lightly sanded. Next, the special red color was sprayed on the body. After drying, another coat of red paint was applied. After this dried, the finish was sanded with 500 grit sandpaper, and the body was polished to a high sheen. After being polished, the red color seemed to Glow. The light colored undercoats were the reason the red looked so special. The workers in the factory referred to this as "Fullerton Red" since the paint did not have its own name.

When the red prototype guitar was completed, it was sent to the sales office to get the salespeople's reactions. They got a big laugh from this. "Who would want a red guitar." And they sent it back with a very negative report on its appearance.

This discouraged me, but continued to believe that there must be a color that would appeal to musicians. Finally I got the company to allow a few of these red guitars to be built and sent into the field. When this happened, to everyones surprise and disbelief, they were well accepted by the musicians who were excited to play the red guitars.

The sales company ordered only a small number of the red guitars at first, and immediately sold every one. This prompted them to pursue the color a bit further.

In order to get enough red laquer to complete a run of these instruments, we had to get our regular paint supplier to mix it for us. When the supplier sent the new red laquer to us, it was called, "Fiesta Red". It was amazing how fast Fiesta Red became one of the most desired guitar colors.

After the incredible acceptance of Fiesta Red for instruments, the company started experimenting with other colors. We relied on Duco colors, which were basically automotive colors. These were paints that could be purchased almost anywhere, so the customer could easily touch up or completely refinish the instrument.

These were some of the colors eventually accepted

Dakota Red
    Candy apple red - metallic
    Lake Placid Blue-- metallic
    Sonic Blue
    Daphne Blue
    Fire mist Gold-- metallic
    Shoreline Gold -- metallic
    Inca Silver -- metallic
    Charcoal Mist Frost - metallic

(I had to look this up... never heard this one!

http://www.hi-guitars.com/VG1730.html

Olympic White
    Black
    Teal green-- metallic
    Foam Green
    Shell pink

The original 1957 Jazzmaster guitar with the special Fiesta Red is still in my collection. I will always cherish that instrument. It meant a great deal to have had a big part in introducing color to our guitars.

Les Paul Forum Member

Shoreline Gold 1965 Cadillac Eldorado

Kauer Banshee V1 - Fiat 500 Verde Chiaro - the guitar looks a little darker in that room lighting

I just noticed that this was a Fender thread...all the Fender guitars ought to have been a clue,

OK, here's my EJ Strat in tropical turquoise, and the car it was inspired from:

Quote Originally Posted by RocknRollShakeUp View Post
    I just noticed that this was a Fender thread...all the Fender guitars ought to have been a clue,

OK, here's my EJ Strat in tropical turquoise, and the car it was inspired from:

The bound neck is the white wall tires of that guitar! looks awesome

those are two things are so iconically american... great.