• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Cheap NEW Tube Pedal On The Way.........................

JeffBlue

Just notified that my NEW cheap tube pedal is now just shipped. TC Electronics Tube Pilot $59.99. I like TC Electronics. I am looking forward to swapping out the tube for an NOS tube.

Big Al

Why? Seems to me most all of them things run on way to a voltage to make any kinda good tube sound. I wouldn't waste a NOS tube myself, but everything does sound different so…?

JeffBlue

Why? Seems to me most all of them things run on way to a voltage to make any kinda good tube sound. I wouldn't waste a NOS tube myself, but everything does sound different so…?

Hi Big Al, how are you? I have found that even in a starved plate function, NOS are still a much better sounding tube. And using a tube in a starved plate mode, how badly are you going use that tube until failure? I do have a stash of tubes and different types to tube roll and find what I like best. Good tone is everything when it comes to guitar. I do find that there are tube pedals that I really like.

Big Al

Hi Big Al, how are you? I have found that even in a starved plate function, NOS are still a much better sounding tube. And using a tube in a starved plate mode, how badly are you going use that tube until failure? I do have a stash of tubes and different types to tube roll and find what I like best. Good tone is everything when it comes to guitar. I do find that there are tube pedals that I really like.

Hey Jeff, you know I love the tinkerers! I asked because I went through whole bunches of stomp box 12AX7 type overdrives, distortion and preamps and just found no benefit to low voltage tube, for my taste. The mosfet and most non tube pedals sounded better. I am in the minority.

JeffBlue

Hey Jeff, you know I love the tinkerers! I asked because I went through whole bunches of stomp box 12AX7 type overdrives, distortion and preamps and just found no benefit to low voltage tube, for my taste. The mosfet and most non tube pedals sounded better. I am in the minority.

And that sir, is what makes the world go round. I always play the tube pedals into tube amps and some pedals I use with an NOS 12AU7 type as clean as I can for a transparent boost which enhances overall tone. (BK Butler Real Tube, the forebears of the Tube Driver) and some pedals I use anything between up to a 12AX7 for light or heavy distortion. I do hear a difference in the tube types and whether or not the tube is NOS, it certainly seems to make a difference. Remember me, I'm the guy who modified a BK Butler Blue Tube to use an octal 6SL7 tube. That made a difference. I love tube rolling and finding tones and overdrive that works well with each pedal. I have definitely let pedals go that didn't do well for me. I enjoy the pedals that I have and even the one's that are not tube.

Big Al

Yup, I had the Real Tube pedal and rack and the MosFet mosValve rack power amp. You are spot on about types. They show big difference. I dumped the Real Tube soon enough but I kept the Mosvalve until last year and regret selling it.

You are so right it is different and cool for all of us. NO ABSOLUTES!

JeffBlue

Just last night got the TC Electronics Tube Pilot and tried it out this morning. I could tell that all and any overdrive from this pedal is nothing but the tube. It is not a metal gain pedal. I always check every pedal for transparency by trying to back the gain way down and "match" the pedal with bypass and this does that beautifully with a little sweetness on the top. I then played it with the tube gain wide open and it is a nice medium gain with lots of warmth. I can tell the pedal will be much improved with an NOS tube. I will decide whether a different tube variant is the way to improve the tone. I use some tube pedals to enhance tone in different rigs or drive/distort others. I will be making some noise today.

JeffBlue

I changed out the tube for a NOS 7025 and the tone was much improved as I knew it would. I then tried a 5814A which made the pedal have too much treble and the bass was too subtle. I reinstalled the 7025 and letting it burn in. So far, I like the pedal.

Jazzfinger

Not to Hijack & I've not tried the TC tube pedal but I've tried lot of others. Overall to me the concept sounds better than the actual tone. That is except for the new Friedman tube pedals, especially the Fuzz. I've never played a Friedman amp but the tube Fuzz is amazing. It's not cheap but you can power it with the Strymon power supply's. You can set it up to so that it cleans up really nice when you back off the volume or use a lighter attack.

Let me know how your new pedal sounds. At that price point, if it sounds decent it might be good to have around.

JeffBlue

Not to Hijack & I've not tried the TC tube pedal but I've tried lot of others. Overall to me the concept sounds better than the actual tone. That is except for the new Friedman tube pedals, especially the Fuzz. I've never played a Friedman amp but the tube Fuzz is amazing. It's not cheap but you can power it with the Strymon power supply's. You can set it up to so that it cleans up really nice when you back off the volume or use a lighter attack.

Let me know how your new pedal sounds. At that price point, if it sounds decent it might be good to have around.

I like the Tube Pilot although I have tube pedals I like better. I did install an NOS 7025 and the tube could probably use a little more burn in time. This pedal is not a real high gain pedal and is strictly all tube gain.

JeffBlue

I swapped out the 7025 tube for an NOS 12AY7 and I like the tone much better. Excellent pedal that is built well.