• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Saddle adjustment screw question....

NewStrings

I see that was another tread recently regarding the saddle adjust screws on the bridge but I didn't want to highjack that one because my problem is slightly different.

This is NGD for me, I picked up my new LP Classic Goldtop with a Bigsby and I proceeded to change the strings as normal. Except when I got to the 6th string (low E) I noticed that the small screw was very loose and was ready to fall out. I pushed back place (checked the intonation afterward) but I have this horrible rattle and the screw still seems very loose. I must not be doing something right. Is there trick that I am missing? Do you know of any solutions or can someone point me In the right direction to find the instruction I need to fix. The store where I purchased it is an hour drive away and I really don't want to drive back there to see their tech guy for something that should have simple solution.
Thanks,

Carl

kevinkjs

It would help to know if your bridge is a Nashville or an ABR. How much of the screw is threaded into the saddle?
It could be a wrong or metric sized screw mix-up or stripped saddle threads. Pictures would help immensely too.
Try comparing the screw/saddle connections on other strings and see if there is a difference.

NewStrings

It would help to know if your bridge is a Nashville or an ABR. How much of the screw is threaded into the saddle?
It could be a wrong or metric sized screw mix-up or stripped saddle threads. Pictures would help immensely too.
Try comparing the screw/saddle connections on other strings and see if there is a difference.

It is an ABR saddle and there is definitely something wrong with it and it could very well be the wrong screw as suggested. I did examine the other 5 and they work fine, they are not loose in any way. I spent about a half hour yesterday trying everything I could think of to make it work right but without success. Since this is a brand new guitar with full warranty, I am going to take back to the store I purchased it and have their tech work on it. I think it will need a replacement part. Thanks for the help, truly appreciated.

Carl

kevinkjs

Well Carl, I tried to give my best diagnosis. Since it's brand new, taking it back is probably a good move.
My LP Standard is a 1999 and there's a lot of things that may need replacing, upgrading, etc. that won't
be covered by any warranty. If in the future you may need maintenance on your nut, saddles, bridge,
tuners, etc., but before spending an arm and or a leg on a so called, "guitar tech"; please consult us at
the forum because more often than not you can fix it yourself. There's a world of knowledge and all the
help you could ever ask for right in this forum, my friend. Cheers and good luck.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
on an ABR-1 bridge there is only that tiny wire that stops the screws from falling out. The thread only moves the saddle and nothing holds the screws in place except the down pressure of the strings. That is completely normal.

NewStrings

Thanks for the info and advice, truly appreciated!

I spent a little more time working on it and it seems to be working OK now. But I am still going to have the tech look at it. Still strange as this one is the only one loose and falls out with out the wire, plus it looks different than the others. But like I said, I think I may have fixed (for now), Thanks for the feedback.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
The earliest ABR-1s didn't even have the wire! :hmm

Zentar

Swap places with that saddle screw. It may be happier in another saddle.

NewStrings

Ok, update time! I brought it back to the store I purchased it from, the tech took one look at it and said "yup, it's a broken screw"! What I thought was a washer between the screw and the saddle was actually a broken weld. So, he replaced the whole thing, works great now and I am a happy camper once again!!!

Thanks everyone for all you help, truly appreciated.

Carl