• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Mike Campbell joins Fleetwood Mac

madformac

They'll be playing a few Peter Green era blues numbers which will make their audience think - "Is this new stuff they wrote for this tour?"

I've heard no mention of Bob Welch era material. I do hope they include that. It would make a nice complete anthology of the band. Lindsay would always nix the Green/Welch material in their setlists.

Hypnotized (Bob Welch)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZeTlMpnfHk

Mike Campbell is used to playing Greenbaum's songs with the Heartbreakers so it won't be too big an issue for him, he plays them better than Lindsey ever did anyway. Lindsey Buckingham left Peter's songs (although he did Manalishi in 75-77 and Oh Well up to 2009) as the Buckingham Nicks catalogue grew pretty full anyway, especially with Christine's songs too there wasn't room on the setlist.

Take the Fleetwood Mac PR bandwagon with a pinch of salt as it's mostly bullshit to sell tickets. The whole "Buckingham won't tour" and "one member wouldn't play the older songs" stuff is utter nonsense. The Greenbaum/Welch songs will be to replace Buckingham's songs in the setlist (although they won't drop The Chain or Go Your Own Way). The truth will come out, just not yet. The whole situation is pretty shameful but it will out eventually.

A lot of seasoned Mac fans are refusing to buy tickets due to recent events but a lot of Heartbreakers fans are buying them to support Mike so I'm sure they will have a successful tour.

I like Mike Campbell and adore the Heartbreakers, I also like Buckingham as he did the heavy lifting for Fleetwood Mac for the last 40 years and I love his solo work. Never had much time for Stevie Nicks apart from her singing duties as she hasn't contributed anything of merit to the band since 1982.

But give me the Green/Kirwan era Mac any day over the other eras. :salude

Here's the rarely heard version of Brown Eyes from the Tusk album recorded in 1978 with both Lindsey Buckingham and Peter Green on guitar.

goldtop0

It sounds like Campbell was brought on for his guitar chops, and Finn for his voice. I wonder how long this line-up will last? :hmm

I don't think Neil will cut it on vocals.........he hasn't got the chops that Lindsey has unfortunately.

J.D.

Basically Lindsey is still interested in creating music and everyone else just wants to cash in on another greatest hits tour.

Nothing like watching a bunch of millionaire drama queens have a good old fashioned facebook brawl.

madformac

Green/Kirwan/Welch songs?

On the 2018 tour?

How high are you right now?

The band have already mentioned last week they will be playing Oh Well, Station Man and Hypnotized so not very high..

Basically Lindsey is still interested in creating music and everyone else just wants to cash in on another greatest hits tour.

Nothing like watching a bunch of millionaire drama queens have a good old fashioned facebook brawl.

Totally agree. :salude

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
Neil Finn & Mike Campbell in Fleetwood Mac....Awesome. Almost makes me want to venture out and see this live. Live concerts, I pretty much avoid due to the expense and hassle of leaving my house. And my extreme jadedness, not that this new FM lineup would change that. But I love Mikes tone and playing. And Split Enz and Crowded House were all about Neils great writing. Hope they include some of his material in the set.

mingus

Neil Finn & Mike Campbell in Fleetwood Mac....Awesome. Almost makes me want to venture out and see this live. Live concerts, I pretty much avoid due to the expense and hassle of leaving my house. And my extreme jadedness, not that this new FM lineup would change that. But I love Mikes tone and playing. And Split Enz and Crowded House were all about Neils great writing. Hope they include some of his material in the set.

Damn, Billy. I thought I was the only curmudgeon around here!

I completely agree with your assessment and like Neil's voice. He's also an excellent guitar player, so that should add an additional dimension. It'll be interesting to see if any new material emerges and/or new arrangements on the existing catalog.

MarkL8

Have to say I am very happy for Mike Campbell to be doing this. If for no other reason then to help move on and work through the grief of losing probably his closest friend and collaborator that has to be hard. Cant comment on the FM endless drama but for Mike it seems like a healthy project to take on ATM.

pablomago

I know it's a bitter pill to swallow for us guitar players, but I'd bet a majority of their audience think of FM as "Stevie Nicks' band."

I'll be interested to hear how they sound with Mike and Neil. But I'm not shelling out for tickets.

SpencerD

It is now the time in this thread I eat crow! A bigass cold plate of it too! :laugh2:

Campbell sat in with a couple of FInns (Neil and his son Liam) and they played Man Of The World.

That's pretty cool. --- Word on the street is that nobody at the gig even knew the song. :hee

Nice.