LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Les Paul Forum Member Texas Blues's Avatar

Re: Mike Campbell joins Fleetwood Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    Not true ... I know several who are fans of both eras of FM, including myself.
    I'm not a fan of Stevie, but I am a fan of Christine, Mick and John. Those three span all eras of Fleetwood Mac and I like songs from most versions, not just Peter Green's era.
    Fleetwood Mac Rumours was and still is great sex/date night music.

Peter Green Fleetwood Mac was and still is great rough sex/kinky date night music.

The former is "blow dry my hair!"

The latter is "pull my hair"!

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

Who will handle the lead vocal parts which were sung by Lindsay Buckingham?
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Quote Originally Posted by marshall1987 View Post
    Neil Finn

Quote Originally Posted by marshall1987 View Post
    I would recommend Candy Candido. He can do ANYTHING.

He could play bass as well.

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xpensive Wino View Post
    Christine didn't join Fleetwood Mac until after Peter Green announced he was leaving the band, did she?
    Not officially, but she played on several recordings and was already with John, I think. And she was added immediately when Peter left, yet stayed when Peter returned to help out when Jeremy "lost his way".
    Her early credits had her under her stage name [at the time], Christine Perfect.
    I never thought about dating her recording history with them, but I might have it.
    However, I think Peter also got some piano credits.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

The earliest recording date for Christine that I have found so far is the original recording session for Stop Messin' Round on April 28, 1968.
    She also gets credits for piano on Rollin' Man, Love That Burns, If You Be My Baby and Lazy Poker Blues, listed only as April 1968.

This was the recording session for Mister Wonderful.

She was also on the next album, The Pious Bird of Good Omen.
    However, those sessions were apparently also in April of 1968, so they were probably left over tracks.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

The last time I saw a Fleetwood Mac show,my LDL cholesterol dropped 9 points...there's lots of second hand Lipitor at those gigs. I'm just saying.

Les Paul Forum Member The Shifter's Avatar

The earliest recording date for Christine that I have found so far is the original recording session for Stop Messin' Round on April 28, 1968.
    Wait, on this version?

Quote Originally Posted by The Shifter View Post
    Wait, on this version?
    They recorded 5 takes of that, that day. Take #4 and #5 were designated the masters. She was on all takes, and presumably on all songs with keys that day [she played organ, rather than piano, on Need Your Love So Bad]. This recording day was sometimes referred to as "Peter Green Day" because of song selection.

The next day, April 29 was "Jeremy Spencer Day" where they recorded his songs. Jeremy played piano on those.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

Les Paul Forum Member The Shifter's Avatar

They recorded 5 takes of that, that day. Take #4 and #5 were designated the masters. She was on all takes, and presumably on all songs with keys that day [she played organ, rather than piano, on Need Your Love So Bad]. This recording day was sometimes referred to as "Peter Green Day" because of song selection.

The next day, April 29 was "Jeremy Spencer Day" where they recorded his songs. Jeremy played piano on those.
    Wow, that's so great. She's channelling Otis Spann big time!
    Last edited by The Shifter; 04-18-18 at 09:18 AM.

That made my day!

I'm looking for the date she first played with them [presumably as a sit in].
    Actually, because this subject caused me to dig into her association with FM, I am trying to chronicle all of her early involvement.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Shifter View Post
    Wow, that's so great. She's channelling Otis Span big time!

In 1969, they did this with Mr. Spann:

Some of Peter Green's best playing, IMO, although by all reports, Mick did not play on these sessions.

In 1969, they did this with Mr. Spann:

Some of Peter Green's best playing, IMO, although by all reports, Mick did not play on these sessions.
    I do remember that Mick did not play drums. Otis wanted at least one guy from his "group" and S.P. Leary [I think] was his drummer. Makes sense he would want his regular drummer, but it's also a shame Mick isn't there.

Edit: I don't know why I read your post as saying John McVie wasn't there.
    Last edited by Tom Wittrock; 04-18-18 at 09:28 AM.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

Les Paul Forum Member Ed Driscoll's Avatar

It sounds like Campbell was brought on for his guitar chops, and Finn for his voice. I wonder how long this line-up will last?

Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Driscoll View Post

It sounds like Campbell was brought on for his guitar chops, and Finn for his voice. I wonder how long this line-up will last?
    Longer than that video stayed up?

Les Paul Forum Member guitplayer's Avatar

Fleetwood Mike
    " Never Mind Your Face, just show us your card"

Les Paul Forum Member Ed Driscoll's Avatar

Longer than that video stayed up?
    Heh. Here's CBS's write-up of their interview. I wonder why they pulled the video?

Let's see how long this one will be up.

Les Paul Forum Member

Personally I think Mike Campbell Is just the right slinger for this band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=735dXdC7i9A

Les Paul Forum Member

They'll be playing a few Peter Green era blues numbers which will make their audience think - "Is this new stuff they wrote for this tour?"

I've heard no mention of Bob Welch era material. I do hope they include that. It would make a nice complete anthology of the band. Lindsay would always nix the Green/Welch material in their setlists.

Hypnotized (Bob Welch)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZeTlMpnfHk

Les Paul Forum Member madformac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy72 View Post
    They'll be playing a few Peter Green era blues numbers which will make their audience think - "Is this new stuff they wrote for this tour?"

I've heard no mention of Bob Welch era material. I do hope they include that. It would make a nice complete anthology of the band. Lindsay would always nix the Green/Welch material in their setlists.

Hypnotized (Bob Welch)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZeTlMpnfHk

Mike Campbell is used to playing Greenbaum's songs with the Heartbreakers so it won't be too big an issue for him, he plays them better than Lindsey ever did anyway. Lindsey Buckingham left Peter's songs (although he did Manalishi in 75-77 and Oh Well up to 2009) as the Buckingham Nicks catalogue grew pretty full anyway, especially with Christine's songs too there wasn't room on the setlist.

Take the Fleetwood Mac PR bandwagon with a pinch of salt as it's mostly bullshit to sell tickets. The whole "Buckingham won't tour" and "one member wouldn't play the older songs" stuff is utter nonsense. The Greenbaum/Welch songs will be to replace Buckingham's songs in the setlist (although they won't drop The Chain or Go Your Own Way). The truth will come out, just not yet. The whole situation is pretty shameful but it will out eventually.

A lot of seasoned Mac fans are refusing to buy tickets due to recent events but a lot of Heartbreakers fans are buying them to support Mike so I'm sure they will have a successful tour.

I like Mike Campbell and adore the Heartbreakers, I also like Buckingham as he did the heavy lifting for Fleetwood Mac for the last 40 years and I love his solo work. Never had much time for Stevie Nicks apart from her singing duties as she hasn't contributed anything of merit to the band since 1982.

But give me the Green/Kirwan era Mac any day over the other eras.

Here's the rarely heard version of Brown Eyes from the Tusk album recorded in 1978 with both Lindsey Buckingham and Peter Green on guitar.

Green/Kirwan/Welch songs?

On the 2018 tour?

How high are you right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Driscoll View Post

I don't think Neil will cut it on vocals.........he hasn't got the chops that Lindsey has unfortunately.

Basically Lindsey is still interested in creating music and everyone else just wants to cash in on another greatest hits tour.

Nothing like watching a bunch of millionaire drama queens have a good old fashioned facebook brawl.

Les Paul Forum Member madformac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerD View Post
    Green/Kirwan/Welch songs?

On the 2018 tour?

How high are you right now?

The band have already mentioned last week they will be playing Oh Well, Station Man and Hypnotized so not very high..

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Basically Lindsey is still interested in creating music and everyone else just wants to cash in on another greatest hits tour.

Nothing like watching a bunch of millionaire drama queens have a good old fashioned facebook brawl.

Totally agree.

All Access/Backstage Pass lpnv59's Avatar

Neil Finn & Mike Campbell in Fleetwood Mac....Awesome. Almost makes me want to venture out and see this live. Live concerts, I pretty much avoid due to the expense and hassle of leaving my house. And my extreme jadedness, not that this new FM lineup would change that. But I love Mikes tone and playing. And Split Enz and Crowded House were all about Neils great writing. Hope they include some of his material in the set.
    "It's a Marshall bubby. It gets loud." Ace Frehley

Quote Originally Posted by lpnv59 View Post
    Neil Finn & Mike Campbell in Fleetwood Mac....Awesome. Almost makes me want to venture out and see this live. Live concerts, I pretty much avoid due to the expense and hassle of leaving my house. And my extreme jadedness, not that this new FM lineup would change that. But I love Mikes tone and playing. And Split Enz and Crowded House were all about Neils great writing. Hope they include some of his material in the set.
    Damn, Billy. I thought I was the only curmudgeon around here!

I completely agree with your assessment and like Neil's voice. He's also an excellent guitar player, so that should add an additional dimension. It'll be interesting to see if any new material emerges and/or new arrangements on the existing catalog.

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us."

- Bill Watterson, creator of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes".

Les Paul Forum Member

Have to say I am very happy for Mike Campbell to be doing this. If for no other reason then to help move on and work through the grief of losing probably his closest friend and collaborator that has to be hard. Cant comment on the FM endless drama but for Mike it seems like a healthy project to take on ATM.

Les Paul Forum Member pablomago's Avatar

I know it's a bitter pill to swallow for us guitar players, but I'd bet a majority of their audience think of FM as "Stevie Nicks' band."

I'll be interested to hear how they sound with Mike and Neil. But I'm not shelling out for tickets.
    Save the '68 Gold Tops!

It is now the time in this thread I eat crow! A bigass cold plate of it too!

Campbell sat in with a couple of FInns (Neil and his son Liam) and they played Man Of The World.

That's pretty cool. --- Word on the street is that nobody at the gig even knew the song.

Nice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12