• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Solved: The Mystery of the Crown Inlay ( 1968 Les Paul Standards )

tonyj

...sorry folks, and a duplicate post, now fully dealt with....... I hope.

Last edited:

moonweasel

Interesting thread here, with some very plausible explanations from some credible but covert sources.

......... and even more of those little side stories that make our Les Paul guitars so special. All great stuff for those of us enjoy a little intrigue.

I am however always at odds as to how this 'thing' we are discussing ever became known as a 'crown'.

I do not consider myself an expert in heraldic symbology by any stretch of the imagination, but to my eyes it I has far more of the look of a 'squashed frog'. :hmm

oooh!!

I like the Squashed Frog. hahahah

Bruce R

Now that is what I call documentation!! Thanks for sharing!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Glad you like it! :salude The source sought me out, and I was blown away to have this document effectively land in my lap. Very grateful.

The more I think about it, the more incredible it is that you were able to get the actual documentation!!

While this type of mistake might have happened other times, we might never see another situation where the answer became so crystal clear. :dude:

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
What an awesome thread and detective work! :3zone

moonweasel

The more I think about it, the more incredible it is that you were able to get the actual documentation!!

While this type of mistake might have happened other times, we might never see another situation where the answer became so crystal clear. :dude:

Such great points, Tom. Think of all the other idiosyncrasies with no explanations over the decades. This is a crazily specific document to address a thousand theories over the years. Although, I cannot take credit for this. I will just say that there are VERY passionate craftsmen building guitars in the Nashville area who wanted this to be known and leave it at that.

Sidebar Tom.... I don't know if you ever saw this, but I found that it seems as of April '68, Les wanted the Les Paul Standard to have humbuckers. To the point that the blue prints show humbuckers along with a notation of Les' desire for humbuckers. That was another fun discovery that I found a few years ago.

1968lpsspecs.JPG

1968lpstop.jpg

What an awesome thread and detective work! :3zone

Thanks!!! Although again, this is all my source.

==

Thank you to you both for your help from the very beginning!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Even more great details.
Maybe your source can find the documentation when they changed the specs to P-90s. :hmm

Jazz+

I bought this 1968 Les Paul used from Sherman and Clay (Clement St.) in SF in the middle of 1970. The photo was taken in May 1971. It had a superb sunburst finish and the head stock simply had Gibson on it. There was no crown or other script and the truss rod cover was blank. The opinion was that it was a Gold Top that had been refinished shortly after the original owner purchased it, perhaps by Satterlee & Chapin guitar shop in SF, on Ellis St.. I added the speed knobs.
""Harmon Satterlee's customers included well known folk (Smother's brothers), jazz, rock (David Crosby), classical (Segovia, and Rey de la Torre), and flamenco guitarists (Carlos Montoya, Sabicas and Juan Serrano), to name a few. If you combined all the music stores I have been to they would not equal Harmon's store, for the quality of instruments, advice, repair, and guitar lessons from Fred Stockton and Mariano Cordoba."
56863d1540175555-i-got-chinese-champ-clone-harry_lespaul-jpg

Last edited: