• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Solved: The Mystery of the Crown Inlay ( 1968 Les Paul Standards )

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Hi Tom! Hope you have been well! I genuinely wish I could answer your question, but I was specifically asked to keep my source anonymous. I can assure you my information is from a source from the period. Also, it is not an interpretation of information but is precisely objective. I would want to know too, and I am sorry I can't tell you. If the privacy directive ever changes, I will make sure to tell you right away. You were very helpful early on sharing your serial numbers of your old 68's. I'll always appreciate that. Rock on.

Thanks! :salude

I wouldn't want you break your privacy directive. I don't do that either.
I do hope that someday that directive will ease a little, as it is a very interesting concept.

BTW: I had a 60 Burst with a reneck that was very similar to those. 0-7183 Paula

However, the crown was painted over and it had a silk screen. :ganz
[photos from when I had it, 35 years ago]

0_7183-01-me.jpg

0_7183-00-me.jpg

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
For what it's worth, the headstock veneer part number error, not only sounds reasonable, it's the most likely explanation... I don't know, it just makes sense, to me... :hmm

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
For what it's worth, the headstock veneer part number error, not only sounds reasonable, it's the most likely explanation... I don't know, it just makes sense, to me... :hmm

For decades [in my many discussions] we assumed the silk screen was compromised and perhaps they didn't realize it until it was time to use it on [virtually] completed guitars. That always seemed plausible.

This explanation also makes perfect sense and I trust the OP and his research. :salude

guitplayer

So the solution is that someone ordered the wrong part number for the silkscreen?
And the source of this wishes to remain anonymous? OK what ever keeps your boat afloat.
Great info and LSLP site! Could be the market was "tested" overseas first. Sending those crown
inlaid guitars.

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
For decades [in my many discussions] we assumed the silk screen was compromised and perhaps they didn't realize it until it was time to use it on [virtually] completed guitars. That always seemed plausible.

This explanation also makes perfect sense and I trust the OP and his research. :salude

I suppose, in the absence of any actual proof, both scenarios are plausible... Interesting thread, however... :salude

moonweasel

:dude:

So the solution is that someone ordered the wrong part number for the silkscreen?
And the source of this wishes to remain anonymous? OK what ever keeps your boat afloat.
Great info and LSLP site! Could be the market was "tested" overseas first. Sending those crown
inlaid guitars.

It was the overlay itself, not the silkscreen. Thanks for the compliments on the site! No idea about the overseas thing other than it seems weird that back when I was constantly LSLP info hunting that I always seemed to find the crown guitars overseas. Not based on any real info, just unreliable gut analysis. :)

moonweasel

Cheers all. If the privacy thing ever lifts, you will see your faith was well placed. I promise! :)

Grog

On a somewhat related note, the only other Les Paul that I'm aware of ever having a Crown Inlay was the original 1969/1970 Les Paul Bass. But this model retained the Crown during it's entire couple year run.

E4ldOu3l.jpg

MapleFlame

I have a good question, if one has this 68 with the Crown Inlay, how much $$$$ would it add to worth value or selling price due to low numbers?

moonweasel

I have a good question, if one has this 68 with the Crown Inlay, how much $$$$ would it add to worth value or selling price due to low numbers?

No idea. And to make it more complicated, looks-wise most would probably rather have the Silk Screen. Any rarity induced increase in value is probably moderated by that.

I remember a story from years ago, maybe on LPF, where someone got a crown guitar for like $750 because the Guitar Center thought it had to be a headstock repair to have that veneer. Sooooooooo jealous :)

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
The "Get Yer Yaya's " conversion/veneer that went through Ganzler to SoloDallas was a crown headstock guitar that had the crown painted over and a silkscreen applied!

toxpert

I purchased my 1968 ‘crown’ LPGT as being a imitation Les Paul from Guitar Center.
The crown, straight wall control cavity, ‘Les Paul’ truss rod cover led their experts to dismiss the guitar as a poorly executed LP copy.

I just smiled inside and let them prattle on about their expertise. When they were done, I quietly paid a very nice low price and brought the guitar home including the original case.

Mine is a road warrior that has been routed for humbuckers, top stripped to natural and Grovered.

I have this LP Forum to thank for educating me about this series...especially Wilko and Moon. Thanks everyone for turning me on to my best playing geetar. Thank you also to Guitplayer for helping me with period correct pickups and other parts!!

lhric

LPF Exclusive:

In the 'Return of the Les Paul' advertising literature and the Gibson Gazette magazine released in mid-1968, the headstock of the soon to be released Les Paul Standard looks pretty familiar. Pearl inlay with dot over the i in Gibson? Check. Kluson tuners? Check. Blank headstock overlay with "Les Paul Model" silk-screen in gold paint? Check. So why do the earliest guitars to be sold have a headstock which looks like this?

first%20jr%20boy%20headstock%20flower%20trc.jpg

Click the link to my site below to find out why! :)

http://www.latesixtieslespauls.com/article_crownsolved.asp

====

I have a source that is utterly reliable but wishes to remain anonymous.

Hey Stephen
Do you also think the misplaced strap button or extra strap button drilled on the upper back could be part of this early getting off the ground production? The early 68 crown guitar I had also had the misplaced strap button further from the neck joint but was moved and the old hole filled back in.

moonweasel

I purchased my 1968 ‘crown’ LPGT as being a imitation Les Paul from Guitar Center.
The crown, straight wall control cavity, ‘Les Paul’ truss rod cover led their experts to dismiss the guitar as a poorly executed LP copy.

I just smiled inside and let them prattle on about their expertise. When they were done, I quietly paid a very nice low price and brought the guitar home including the original case.

Mine is a road warrior that has been routed for humbuckers, top stripped to natural and Grovered.

I have this LP Forum to thank for educating me about this series...especially Wilko and Moon. Thanks everyone for turning me on to my best playing geetar. Thank you also to Guitplayer for helping me with period correct pickups and other parts!!

Tox,

I think it was your guitar I was thinking about. You got the best deal ever... :) I would love to have a first series guitar.

moonweasel

Hey Stephen
Do you also think the misplaced strap button or extra strap button drilled on the upper back could be part of this early getting off the ground production? The early 68 crown guitar I had also had the misplaced strap button further from the neck joint but was moved and the old hole filled back in.

Hi!

It would make sense, but I have nothing to back that up.

toxpert

My 68 has the misplaced strap button that was too high on the upper bout to ge useful. The past owners of mine had installed alternative buttons in two locations:
* one is on the upper bout but closer to the the neck, much closer to neck than a ‘factory’ position as we know it...and not quite centered from to back.
* the other is on the back of the body at the neck heel
joint...like a SG or 335.
The hole from the high-mounted strap button is still there...never filled or patched.

tonyj

Interesting thread here, with some very plausible explanations from some credible but covert sources.

......... and even more of those little side stories that make our Les Paul guitars so special. All great stuff for those of us enjoy a little intrigue.

I am however always at odds as to how this 'thing' we are discussing ever became known as a 'crown'.

I do not consider myself an expert in heraldic symbology by any stretch of the imagination, but to my eyes it I has far more of the look of a 'squashed frog'. :hmm