• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help diagnose potentially bad potentiometer

LP60RVA

I bought a new Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard back in September and have recently started having trouble with losing all output when using my neck pickup at almost maximum volume (anything > 9.5). However, I noticed that if I nudge/hold the knob over to one side or the other, I get output again.

I really don't know much about the electronics (I just play the thing...), or how to troubleshoot/diagnose this kind of stuff, but I figured now is a good time to start learning...

What should my next moves be here, in terms of diagnosing what the root cause might be? I guess I need to determine if the pot is the issue so I can get a replacement ordered, but not sure how to go about doing that....

Any insight/advise would be very much appreciated! Thanks all!

0 2339

sounds like a bad solder joint. get a soldering iron, solder, flux and a multimeter and educate yourself - plenty of info on the web and youtube... then re-solder all 3 lugs+ground on the pot that makes trouble and it should be fine...

cheers

PaulD

It could be any number of things including a faulty pot or a bad solder joint. However if you bought the guitar new in September surely the obvious course of action would be to take it back to where you bought it and tell them to put it right?

jam81

I had an issue like that last year with my guitar output jack. It turned out to be a bad solder joint, I could have sent it back but I decided to just solder it back on myself. A very simple and cheap fix.

LP60RVA

Thanks for the replies, guys :salude. Looks like I'll be shopping for a soldering iron and multi-meter now :)

It could be any number of things including a faulty pot or a bad solder joint. However if you bought the guitar new in September surely the obvious course of action would be to take it back to where you bought it and tell them to put it right?

Yeah, I could call the dealer I bought the guitar from and see if they'd be able to do anything, but they are half-way across the US, and I feel like something this 'simple' could be fixed without going through the hassle/risks of shipping. Besides, it'll be a good thing for me to learn how to troubleshoot...

jam81

Thanks for the replies, guys :salude. Looks like I'll be shopping for a soldering iron and multi-meter now :)

Yeah, I could call the dealer I bought the guitar from and see if they'd be able to do anything, but they are half-way across the US, and I feel like something this 'simple' could be fixed without going through the hassle/risks of shipping. Besides, it'll be a good thing for me to learn how to troubleshoot...

take a pic or video and send it to the dealer, I did that and they refunded me part of the price I paid (sweetwater).