• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

ABR Saddle notching on an ES-335

Dave71

I’m getting ready to replace the 3 bridge saddles for the plain strings on my 335. Seems fairly straight forward however, I have a question/concern. I see that at Gibson the builders tend to use a plastic/dead blow hammer to make the unwound saddle notches. Is it safe to do that on a semi-hollow guitar, or is it best to just mark & use a nut/saddle file? I’ve never notched saddles on a semi-hollow before.

Tom99SS

The 335 should have a center block going all the way thru. Look thru the F-Holes. I got a replacement high E saddle as the factory one was too close to the edge of the fret board. Installed the new nylon saddle, used a nail punch of the correct size and then a slight tap with a fretting hammer. Once you can see the indention on the saddle use a nut slotting file of correct size to file the slot.

P.Walker

The 335 should have a center block going all the way thru. Look thru the F-Holes. I got a replacement high E saddle as the factory one was too close to the edge of the fret board. Installed the new nylon saddle, used a nail punch of the correct size and then a slight tap with a fretting hammer. Once you can see the indention on the saddle use a nut slotting file of correct size to file the slot.

+1

No need to worry about the structural worries, but also make sure to file it well like a nut like Tom said. Just a whack isn't going to be as good.

Uncle Gary

The trick, as has been said, is to use a light rap to locate the string center, then use a nut slotting file to finish the slot.

I've never used a hammer, just nut files to slot my bridges.

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
The trick, as has been said, is to use a light rap to locate the string center, then use a nut slotting file to finish the slot.

I've never used a hammer, just nut files to slot my bridges.

Me too...

bigtone

I hold the string where I want it and scrape the saddle with an x-acto knife to mark it. then file in the notch. The mark I made with the knife will guide the file for the first few strokes. Cannot see using a hammer if you don't have to.

Zentar

I think cutting saddle slots is extremely difficult
you are cutting the radius and the strings are not spaced equally apart.

bigtone

I think cutting saddle slots is extremely difficult
you are cutting the radius and the strings are not spaced equally apart.

It is, but once you start looking at other guitars, you start noticing how uneven alot of them are, even from the factory.....I have seen people with spacing guides they hold up to the strings.