• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Peddleboard volume leveling

Dreadnaught

Is here a short cut? .....ok, so I am using a PCB Mastermind, (yes it takes one to use one) so, I have my clean sound to the left, working right to crunch and lead. I have all my peddles working, but I cannot get my clean tone up enough to match my crunch and distortion. I use the Zvex box of rock for my crunch and a tube preamp peddle for saturation lead. The two I just mentioned need at least half volume to get the tones I want ( I control the over all volume on a clean amp setting, so I can turn it to moderate setting while still cranking my effects. The table is, when I have those settings and then go to clean, the volume is way down. I use the love pedal as a clean boost, but it’s just not getting it. Also, when I dial in some clean Strymon sounds, they are down low as well. So I guess my question is, how do I get those sizzling crunch and lead tones and still have a decent clean volume without having to adjust my pedal volume way up? I guess just what’s ur best crystal clean boost pedal?

Last edited:

P.Walker

Is here a short cut? .....ok, so I am using a PCB Mastermind, (yes it takes one to use one) so, I have my clean sound to the left, working right to crunch and lead. I have all my peddles working, but I cannot get my clean tone up enough to match my crunch and distortion. I use the Zvex box of rock for my crunch and a tube preamp peddle for saturation lead. The two I just mentioned need at least half volume to get the tones I want ( I control the over all volume on a clean amp setting, so I can turn it to moderate setting while still cranking my effects. The table is, when I have those settings and then go to clean, the volume is way down. I use the love pedal as a clean boost, but it’s just not getting it. Also, when I dial in some clean Strymon sounds, they are down low as well. So I guess my question is, how do I get those sizzling crunch and lead tones and still have a decent clean volume without having to adjust my pedal volume way up? I guess just what’s ur best crystal clean boost pedal?

Did my best to read your post multiple times but I still don't quite understand you.

However, it does sound like an impedance issue. ie. Fulltone OCD (no output buffer except for a volume) pot, before mxr carbon copy delay, step on the delay, now the sound becomes louder.

Big Al

Unity gain requires unity throughout the chain.

corpse

If I understand different mixes of pedals produces different volumes. I have the same problem- would love a solid fix. I see players taping the knobs in place- I hear shifting from day to day.
I have attributed it to my cat.
I tweak it by going back and forth, making sure the clean vs crunch vs dirty are close to the same.

jam81

I have the same issue and the work around that worked for me is using an EQ pedal on the clean channel, I use the boss GE7. not only can you shape the tone with it but it also has a volume control. Not sure if that is the best workaround but it worked for me.

Dreadnaught

Ok, thanks for the reply. I will certainly try an eq on the clean.

To try and explain it better.
1. My overdrive pedals sound best with volume at Least set on 3/4.
2. To play them at that volume, I must keep the amp at a moderate to low level.
3, boom, there goes my clean tone volume. Way below everything else.
4. I put in a pedal with a boost, took out all the gain and use it in the clean channel. Helps some, but still not a great transition in volume when switching. It is possible to lower the OD pedals, and things equal out, but it robs my tone in the OD. I also have trouble with Strymon volume working and having the volume set the same. Usually when I engage the Strymon, the volume decreases somewhat. I think they have a global volume +/- 10db, but what a pain to go digging for that on every setting.
Anyway, I think I’m getting close by turning the amp way up, but the volume pedal way back, then putting the OD at about 1/4 up. Not where I want for OD tone, but not bad and I get a smooth transition to clean. I’ll see how the EQ works.

jam81

Ok, thanks for the reply. I will certainly try an eq on the clean.

To try and explain it better.
1. My overdrive pedals sound best with volume at Least set on 3/4.
2. To play them at that volume, I must keep the amp at a moderate to low level.
3, boom, there goes my clean tone volume. Way below everything else.
4. I put in a pedal with a boost, took out all the gain and use it in the clean channel. Helps some, but still not a great transition in volume when switching. It is possible to lower the OD pedals, and things equal out, but it robs my tone in the OD. I also have trouble with Strymon volume working and having the volume set the same. Usually when I engage the Strymon, the volume decreases somewhat. I think they have a global volume +/- 10db, but what a pain to go digging for that on every setting.
Anyway, I think I’m getting close by turning the amp way up, but the volume pedal way back, then putting the OD at about 1/4 up. Not where I want for OD tone, but not bad and I get a smooth transition to clean. I’ll see how the EQ works.

Give it a shot, the EQ pedal I have is the 7 band Boss. it has built in volume control which is how I raise it up.

Triburst

Al always has great advice -- unity throughout the chain -- stepping on anything but an intentional boost (like a dialed-back gain - increased volume Klon) should be the same volume/tone.

Personally, I would do it like this:

(1) Ditch the volume pedal (don't know about yours, but most suck tone or create more problems by attenuating the signal before certain stompboxes). You already have volumes - use your guitar's volumes like the pro's do.

(2) Crank up the amp to get the clean tones at the volume you're looking for.

(3) NOW, dial in the dirt pedals, a little less volume, maybe a bit more gain (but compensate using the GUITAR'S volume knobs to get the tone -- you may even be full on, which is fine - let those pickups GO!)

(4) Enjoy the compliments on your tone.:dude:

Big Al

You set gain, [drive], for dirt, and set the volume, [level], to unity, or a tiny bit above. You don't stack increasingly higher gain. Set your clean tone at the volume you'll need for the room and keep everything at that level. A compressor used smartly, don't squish or pump can often be just the right thing.

I've assumed you aren't stuffing a high wattage amp into a closet or bedroom. Tube amps need to run at least up to the point where it crosses into good crunch when hit with vigor and play clean with gentle playing.

renderit

You set gain, [drive], for dirt, and set the volume, [level], to unity, or a tiny bit above. You don't stack increasingly higher gain. Set your clean tone at the volume you'll need for the room and keep everything at that level. A compressor used smartly, don't squish or pump can often be just the right thing.

I've assumed you aren't stuffing a high wattage amp into a closet or bedroom. Tube amps need to run at least up to the point where it crosses into good crunch when hit with vigor and play clean with gentle playing.

I LOVE that! My wife hits me with vigor all the time! In our case vigor is a lead doorstop we named some time ago...