• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1959 True Historic with original 1959 PAFs

Pinstripephil

Just wondering, has anyone tried this? Good results? Can't find anything along these lines on a YouTube / Google Search.
Cheers,
Phil :)

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
Not a True Historic, but I've installed PAFs into several different Historics, including a Rossington. My current Historic had PAFs and Pat. Sticker pickups as well. Currently I'm using Throbaks, which I think sound better, at least in this guitar.

goldtop0

Tried PAFs in my '03 R0 years ago.........had 3 of them(PAFs) so different combinations.......sets of T-Tops had a richer sound as did Timbuckers.......the pups have got to suit the guitar is what I found like Steve above.

Patek

Must be a great feeling when the PAFs don’t suit the guitar as you can flip them and use that money to buy another TH

latestarter

I ended up with Thro’s in my R7 after using a pair of long magnet, unopened zebra PAFs in it. The PAFs sounded better in the 335 they came from...and were always heading back there.

jimmyace2006

I did it. I have several videos with tone demos.

I did it with a 1998 R9, 2003 R9 braz, 2003 R0 MM Stinger braz, and a 2009 Murphy aged Pearly Gates LP.

I had 3 sets of vintage 1959 PAFs with double white bobbins. One set was used in two different guitars above.

korus

Just wondering, has anyone tried this? Good results? Can't find anything along these lines on a YouTube / Google Search.
Cheers,
Phil :)

There are clips of Gibson CS with PAFs but they are rare. If PAFs are the main source of original LP tone, you would not ask this question cause clips that show Gibson CS with PAFs that sound exactly like original LPs will be all over the internet. And you could not find them. Also note, there are no clips of high end/10k replicas with original PAFs that prove they sound exactly like originals. The reason is the same. They don't.

It's dead simple. PAFs ain't the source of original LP tone, they just transfer it. Gibson does not know what is. No one knows. 50+ years already.

You can save yourself some time, effort and money by not going this path as PAFs do not turn Gibson CS into original LP, tone-wise. And an original LP with best PAF replicas pickups still sound like a proper original LP. It's because it ain't in pickups.

Or ignore my post and do it. People talk about learning, having fun ... but, even if you spend money buying and selling, you will not get disappointed as after reading this post you already know it ain't in PAFs.

TM1

The Wood & the Strings are the source of the Tone! The pickups just transfer it to the amp.