• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Bridge posts

Etosser

Are they supposed to be screwed in until they stop? After removing the springs that came underneath the thumbwheels on my ABR, I set my action at the normal height, and then adjusted (unscrewed) the height of the posts so they are just below flush with the top of the holes in the bridge. So this would be roughly 5/8” protruding from the top as opposed to the 1/2” I’ve seen mentioned in a previous thread. They didn’t seem to be bottomed out previously, but they were a bit further below the top of bridge holes...any dangers?

0 2339

which guitar?

dunno if this will help but i'll give it a try...

...never heard about or seen springs under thumbwheels (you mean between underside of thumbwheel and body?) maybe someone wanted to "fix" the thumbwheels so they won't move during string change; can't think of another reason...
as far as i know gibson never bottoms out the abr studs but there's a popular mod (mapleflame mod) that suggests exactly this - bottoming out the studs - guitar should brighten up a bit and resonance and acoustic volume should be increased, more top end... at least that's what some folks claim; most people seem to like it, others don't, some experience little to no difference, others prefer brass over nickel etc etc... only one way to find out i guess ; )

so definitely no danger here if you have your studs deeper than factory setting!

cheers
chris

Last edited:

Etosser

Thanks for the reply, Chris. It’s a ‘90 Prehistoric ‘59 RI., btw...
The springs were under the wheels - to help keep them in place, I imagine. I have never seen them on any other guitar, either.

P.Walker

as far as i know gibson never bottoms out the abr studs

oh wow, so the bridge posts are only partially threaded in on my historic? There must be an air gap or two between the metal and the wood then.