• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Fender ‘59 Twin-Amp™ JB Edition released

Mr. Big

I put one in my cart on JB.com. Then figured I’d wait for Mike’s review before purchasing.
i want, but absolutely no need for 85watts.

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
I put one in my cart on JB.com. Then figured I’d wait for Mike’s review before purchasing.
i want, but absolutely no need for 85watts.

None of us do... What's that got to do with anything??? :salude :rofl

ADP

I'd be interested to play it next to a Victoria built High Power Twin.

jam81

What a great sounding amp!!! is there a smaller 10w-20w option to this for apartment playing?

Xpensive Wino

Pellman73

I'm trying not to buy one of these

they are really cool

I do not need.... that is for sure.

need vs want. want usually wins.

fakejake

Couldn't you pull half of the tubes like on a Twin Reverb? That and a attenuator might get you to usable levels at home.
I have to say the size is just perfect to put a cup of tea and some sheet music next to you while playing

renderit

No. AFAIK, the only authentic hand-wired tweed Fender offers in that power configuration is called a Deluxe, and it's a different kettle of fish.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/guitar-amplifiers/vintage-pro-tube/57-custom-deluxe/8150500100.html

I doubt the neighbors will agree it's suitable for "apartment playing", though. :eek:la

Or........the EC Twin-o-lux. You can play it in an apartment. Kinda.

35686202334_9c2268f93b_b.jpg

jam81

No. AFAIK, the only authentic hand-wired tweed Fender offers in that power configuration is called a Deluxe, and it's a different kettle of fish.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/guitar-amplifiers/vintage-pro-tube/57-custom-deluxe/8150500100.html

I doubt the neighbors will agree it's suitable for "apartment playing", though. :eek:la

:hee Thanks, How does that deluxe sound? 2K for a 12w amp ??? I think my neighbors would be ok with that, I usually play a DSL40 (on the 20W setup) and so far no complains :laugh2:

Axis39

No ****? I've played a 40w clone but never the big gun. If they're what I'd call "warm" at all volumes I definitely have to try one, some big amps just don't sound too nice on "3" but some sound great.

My amp sounds incredible on 2 with the guitar volume turned way down, even!

At home, I play with the amp's Bright Volume a little above 2, the Presence on ~9, Middle on ~10, Bass on ~4, Treble on ~2-3. I turn my guitar down to 4-6 and I have a wonderful, warm, harmonically rich, hairy edge of breakup clean. So luscious and sweet. The amp is warm form the second it starts making noise, just off 1.

At gigs, I am usually running my amp around 4. I play in a four piece with a harp player. I use my guitar's volume to run from clean to mean. Sometimes with multiple guitar players, I end up turning up a bit more, Tuesday night with two other guitar players, i was on 5 or 6 by the end of the evening, but dialing back my guitar gets a really beautiful hairy clean. Rolling the guitar up and it's really starting to rock. With Humbuckers and P-90s you really are into classic rock and roll territory. I think max volume is probably somewhere around 6 or 7 on the dial.. But, it goes to 12. By ten it is freaking saturated... But it is blisteringly loud too. My neighbors must like my playing... That's all I gotta say about that. I have never pushed it beyond 6 at a gig, never needed to.

I do not play higher gain stuff, not even anywhere near Joe B's stuff. I play much more traditional Chicago, Texas and West Coast stuff. My ultimate goal is somewhere near T-Bone Walker and Hollywood Fats kinda tone. The Twin and a Gibson absolutely NAILS Hollywood Fats tone! But, you know, every now and again, you kinda want Rory Gallagher! So, i keep a Tim and Keely Fuzz Head on the gig board... Plus, I have a collection of other dirt pedals if I really wanna rock out. One pedal that really surprised me was the DOD OD 250! Wow, what a great sound!

Anyway, I am solidly in the school of thought that any guitar player who is interested in classic guitar tones should, some day, try to play through a 5f8-a Twin. As Joe says in one of the videos, 'It changed my life'.

Xpensive Wino

My amp sounds incredible on 2 with the guitar volume turned way down, even!

At home, I play with the amp's Bright Volume a little above 2, the Presence on ~9, Middle on ~10, Bass on ~4, Treble on ~2-3. I turn my guitar down to 4-6 and I have a wonderful, warm, harmonically rich, hairy edge of breakup clean. So luscious and sweet. The amp is warm form the second it starts making noise, just off 1.

At gigs, I am usually running my amp around 4. I play in a four piece with a harp player. I use my guitar's volume to run from clean to mean. Sometimes with multiple guitar players, I end up turning up a bit more, Tuesday night with two other guitar players, i was on 5 or 6 by the end of the evening, but dialing back my guitar gets a really beautiful hairy clean. Rolling the guitar up and it's really starting to rock. With Humbuckers and P-90s you really are into classic rock and roll territory. I think max volume is probably somewhere around 6 or 7 on the dial.. But, it goes to 12. By ten it is freaking saturated... But it is blisteringly loud too. My neighbors must like my playing... That's all I gotta say about that. I have never pushed it beyond 6 at a gig, never needed to.

I do not play higher gain stuff, not even anywhere near Joe B's stuff. I play much more traditional Chicago, Texas and West Coast stuff. My ultimate goal is somewhere near T-Bone Walker and Hollywood Fats kinda tone. The Twin and a Gibson absolutely NAILS Hollywood Fats tone! But, you know, every now and again, you kinda want Rory Gallagher! So, i keep a Tim and Keely Fuzz Head on the gig board... Plus, I have a collection of other dirt pedals if I really wanna rock out. One pedal that really surprised me was the DOD OD 250! Wow, what a great sound!

Anyway, I am solidly in the school of thought that any guitar player who is interested in classic guitar tones should, some day, try to play through a 5f8-a Twin. As Joe says in one of the videos, 'It changed my life'.

:salude

And there you have it.

The whole idea is headroom.

Axis39

Couldn't you pull half of the tubes like on a Twin Reverb? That and a attenuator might get you to usable levels at home.
I have to say the size is just perfect to put a cup of tea and some sheet music next to you while playing

Yeah, you can pull two tubes, just like the later twins. It does cut down on overall sound levels, but it’s not half as loud. But, it definitely reduces the sound pressure. It becomes like a thicker Bassman.

Big Al

Yeah, you can pull two tubes, just like the later twins. It does cut down on overall sound levels, but it’s not half as loud. But, it definitely reduces the sound pressure. It becomes like a thicker Bassman.

I pulled two power tubes on my 57 Twin RI but it was waaaaaayyyy to quiet.:##:laugh2:

renderit

Now, a Bassman down Low sounds fantabulous! These are the same?

Axis39

:hee Thanks, How does that deluxe sound? 2K for a 12w amp ??? I think my neighbors would be ok with that, I usually play a DSL40 (on the 20W setup) and so far no complains :laugh2:

The Deluxe is very different. 6v6 vs 6l6 power tubes, cathode vs. fixed bias, etc. And, it's too loud for home play if you're looking for amp saturation as well. The biggest problem with a 5e3 Deluxe (well, every generation fo Deluxe I've had the pleasure to try) is that the volume jump from nothing, to too thin, to too loud for home use is very, very quick. HOWEVER, if you use your gutiar volume knobs, you can achieve low volume tonal joy!

I gig a Deluxe, when I just don't feel like carrying the Twin. Even it can be too loud at 12 watts in a bar... But, I do run out of clean headroom.

I pulled two power tubes on my 57 Twin RI but it was waaaaaayyyy to quiet.:##:laugh2:

:laugh2: Which two? both recitfiers, both power tubes or one of each?

toxpert

There is a tone/volume mod that you can do with the Deluxe 5E3 circuit ...that enables a wide range for volume control. I have this setup on one of mine and it turns the amp into an almost 2 channel with low volume capability for each. You still get the tweed sound.

For small venue gigs, I use one channel for the pedal steel and the other for my 6 string geetars.
:yah

Axis39

Now, a Bassman down Low sounds fantabulous! These are the same?

Yes... and no.

The circuit is exactly the same, component for component, with the extra tube exceptions and differences in transformers and speakers. You'd think they'd sound more alike than they do... I guess it's kinda like the 50 and 100 watt Marshalls, really.

The Bassman has a nice edge of breakup for a long way up the volume knob, in a similar fashion to the Twin. The Twin is cleaner longer. The big difference is that the Twin is always more authoritative. It has more thump. The bass response is tighter and just always more present. It's that big power transformer handling more fo the frequency range better. The 2x12 and 4x10 fill a room differently as well. The Bassman is a little more airy in how the sound travels (not tone wise). I won't say the Twin is directional, because it is not beamy. But, off axis sound is 'more different' than with a Bassman.

Wally

Yes... and no.

The circuit is exactly the same, component for component, with the extra tube exceptions and differences in transformers and speakers. You'd think they'd sound more alike than they do... I guess it's kinda like the 50 and 100 watt Marshalls, really.

The Bassman has a nice edge of breakup for a long way up the volume knob, in a similar fashion to the Twin. The Twin is cleaner longer. The big difference is that the Twin is always more authoritative. It has more thump. The bass response is tighter and just always more present. It's that big power transformer handling more fo the frequency range better. The 2x12 and 4x10 fill a room differently as well. The Bassman is a little more airy in how the sound travels (not tone wise). I won't say the Twin is directional, because it is not beamy. But, off axis sound is 'more different' than with a Bassman.

I would really like to play through a 5F8A circuit. I have owned and worked on a fair number of various Tweeds, but that is one that has not come around me. Axis39, have you ever had the pleasure of playing/comparing a 5F6A and a 5F8A through the same speakers/cab? That would interest me greatly, too.