NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar

Re: Fender ‘59 Twin-Amp™ JB Edition released

"Spousal issues"?

I know a cure for those. Costly, and worth every penny.

Congrats Mike! I should have known.

Maybe a good candidate for hard case with casters?

I see it has Joe's settings for Strats and LP's listed. I'll bet those settings smoke and rattle the walls!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSlub View Post
    Michael, all I can say is that it is a glorious sounding amp. Way more power than I need, but the tone and girth with a quad of 6L6s cooking are amazing!

It is hernia producing weight-wise and awkward to carry with that leather strap handle. I won’t be moving it around very often.

Game on!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSlub View Post
    Michael, all I can say is that it is a glorious sounding amp. Way more power than I need, but the tone and girth with a quad of 6L6s cooking are amazing!

It is hernia producing weight-wise and awkward to carry with that leather strap handle. I won’t be moving it around very often.

Congrats Mike...

If you ever get tired of that thing, let me know...
    Stop by and get reacquainted with The all NEW Fender Forum

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    Congrats Mike...

If you ever get tired of that thing, let me know...
    How much would you be willing to pay?

Les Paul Forum Member

I am REALLY enjoying the amp.

HOWEVER, mine had a bit of an issue. I started turning the amp up, got it to about 4 (yes I had earplugs in). And I got this rattling sound. Almost like a pulsing rattling/buzzing when hitting low notes on the low e string. So I took the back panels off and tried pressing on things and it wouldn't go away. It seemed to be coming from the left speaker. So I reseated the speaker, hoping that would alleviate the problem. Unfortunately, it didn't. I decided to try another speaker that I had laying around and... NO bad noise. No rattling/buzzing or anything.

So I am assuming the speaker is bad. Going to have to give Fender or Joe's customer service a call tomorrow regarding the speaker. Fingers crossed.

Otherwise, the amp is absolutely incredible!

Curious what Joe's settings are for the Gibson? I couldn't make it out in the pic. Thanks.

Les Paul Forum Member

whoops. Double post.

Les Paul Forum Member

Normal volume- 9.5
    Bright volume- 9.5
    Treble- 9
    Bass- 5
    Middle- 9
    Presence- 9

Plugged into normal input

Quote Originally Posted by gio View Post
    Normal volume- 9.5
    Bright volume- 9.5
    Treble- 9
    Bass- 5
    Middle- 9
    Presence- 9

Thanks!

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

I have to disagree with Joe on his choice of Klotz Cables. I bought one of those about 16 years ago and found it to be very dark and muddy compared to the Evidence Audio cables I've used since.
    Evidence Audio and Devine Noise are the only two cables I like for un-altered guitar sound. Almost all of the rest act like tone controls..

Spent some time today with the JB Twin. The wife and son were out and about. Im pretty sure the folks in the town over could hear it!!

Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuKasey View Post
    Spent some time today with the JB Twin. The wife and son were out and about. Im pretty sure the folks in the town over could hear it!!
    how bad are your ears ringing?

I have a Jim Kelley that I blast when people aren't in the house. My ears ring for the next couple hours

#notsmart

#movingairistheonlyway

I am REALLY enjoying the amp.

HOWEVER, mine had a bit of an issue. I started turning the amp up, got it to about 4 (yes I had earplugs in). And I got this rattling sound. Almost like a pulsing rattling/buzzing when hitting low notes on the low e string. So I took the back panels off and tried pressing on things and it wouldn't go away. It seemed to be coming from the left speaker. So I reseated the speaker, hoping that would alleviate the problem. Unfortunately, it didn't. I decided to try another speaker that I had laying around and... NO bad noise. No rattling/buzzing or anything.

So I am assuming the speaker is bad. Going to have to give Fender or Joe's customer service a call tomorrow regarding the speaker. Fingers crossed.

Otherwise, the amp is absolutely incredible!
    man that sucks. I hate that for you

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pellman73 View Post
    man that sucks. I hate that for you
    Thanks man.

I contacted Joe's customer service and they were going to call Fender to send a replacement speaker. In Fender's warranty information, it states something along the lines that any costs associated with warranty work will be covered by the purchaser. I won't be very happy if I have to pay to send the speaker in! haha.

So hopefully they just send me a replacement speaker and we're done with it!

Thanks man.

I contacted Joe's customer service and they were going to call Fender to send a replacement speaker. In Fender's warranty information, it states something along the lines that any costs associated with warranty work will be covered by the purchaser. I won't be very happy if I have to pay to send the speaker in! haha.

So hopefully they just send me a replacement speaker and we're done with it!
    Didn’t it come w tickets and a meet and greet w Joe?

Maybe you can bring it to the show and he can get his tech to fix it.

There are crazier things that have happened.......

Road trip!

Les Paul Forum Member

Normal volume- 9.5
    Bright volume- 9.5
    Treble- 9
    Bass- 5
    Middle- 9
    Presence- 9

The weird thing is those are the settings that come on the placard with the amp...but i thought it sounded poor when i tried them..

looked thru some of his youtube rig rundowns and lo and behold his settings on there were radically different (i mean, not even plugged into the normal channel different!). Tried those settings as a base and loved the amp a lot more!

Quote Originally Posted by ufboy73 View Post
    The weird thing is those are the settings that come on the placard with the amp...but i thought it sounded poor when i tried them..

looked thru some of his youtube rig rundowns and lo and behold his settings on there were radically different (i mean, not even plugged into the normal channel different!). Tried those settings as a base and loved the amp a lot more!
    I don't own the JB Twin. But I tried those settings through the normal channel of my tweed Bassman clone with my LP and was not thrilled with the results. I then switched over to the bright channel, left the presence on 9, brought the treble and mids down to 5, turned off the bass and it was much better. FWIW the normal channel on my amp is pretty dark sounding and I don't think the Weber alnico Sigs are helping things.

Les Paul Forum Member Federico.F's Avatar

Hi to all,
    i was interested in it but they didn’t ship to Italy
    So is there anyone who can recommend an amp with a similar but less powerful sound?
    Thanks to all!!!

Les Paul Forum Member

Same here no shipping to U.K. so looking for an amp to get as close to the jb fender

Quote Originally Posted by Del View Post
    Same here no shipping to U.K. so looking for an amp to get as close to the jb fender
    Please help us!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Federico.F View Post
    Please help us!!!
    I don’t know how much W you need, but the EC twin is a cool and similar amp.

In case you need 80W, just buy a 100W Marshall!

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slimdave View Post
    I don’t know how much W you need, but the EC twin is a cool and similar amp.

In case you need 80W, just buy a 100W Marshall!
    The EC Twin is based on the 5E8A low power Tweed Twin, which is quite different from the 5F8A Twin. The 5F6A Bassman would be more similar to the 5F8A than any other Fender amp. The Victoria 80212 is a take off on the Fender 5F8A...

http://www.victoriaamp.com/amplifiers-2/
    "As soon as man does not take his existence for granted, but beholds it as something unfathomably mysterious, thought begins." Albert Schweitzer

I’m searching for a low wattage amp (14/15) that get a colser sound to the JB’s amp.
    Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    The EC Twin is based on the 5E8A low power Tweed Twin, which is quite different from the 5F8A Twin. The 5F6A Bassman would be more similar to the 5F8A than any other Fender amp. The Victoria 80212 is a take off on the Fender 5F8A...

http://www.victoriaamp.com/amplifiers-2/
    Thanks for the observation. I thought they were close, but I’m no expert at all.

Les Paul Forum Member Roman4405's Avatar

How is it at bedroom volumes?

J/K, unfortunately I have neither the money nor the need for an 80watt Twin, one awesome amp though. I’d love to plug into one and crank it for a while.

There's no substitute for horsepower.

Amps with a lot of headroom will get very loud before they start to compress/sag, but after they begin to distort, they really don't sound much louder to my ears.

As an example, BB King dimed his high-wattage amps (Twins/Lab Series L5s) and used his pots to control his tone.

Les Paul Forum Member

tried my friends victoria and his twin it was pretty close so i will be ordering the victoria.
    wonder if the speakers in the jb amp will be available to buy here in the uk.from what i have been told that there were quite a few made

Quote Originally Posted by Del View Post
    tried my friends victoria and his twin it was pretty close so i will be ordering the victoria.
    wonder if the speakers in the jb amp will be available to buy here in the uk.from what i have been told that there were quite a few made
    Which model of Victoria? And how many Watt? I’m searching for a 15 Watt to play safe in the house.
    I have a Bluesbreaker but it’s impossible to play in...

Which model of Victoria? And how many Watt? I’m searching for a 15 Watt to play safe in the house.
    I have a Bluesbreaker but it’s impossible to play in...
    5 watts is too loud for a house! This Tweed is a great gig amp, would love one but sold out now..

Quote Originally Posted by Stow View Post
    5 watts is too loud for a house! This Tweed is a great gig amp, would love one but sold out now..
    Don’t you think a 15W is better to play in and out on small stages? I saw the Victoria Ivy League with three input max power, -6 db and -10db.
    Anyone knows this amp?

Les Paul Forum Member

it was the 80212

Les Paul Forum Member

I use an 80 watt Twin in my house... But, I'm not pushing it into heavy overdrive. Well, and I'm playing in a big room, so I get a bit of dispersion. I will say, the time or two I have cranked it up with my Les Paul, the neighbors experienced some Joe Bonamassa tone (but, no playing like his! LOL)

As Xpensive Wino says, there is NO replacement for displacement! You need the big transformers to get that sound. A 5f6-a Bassman gets you darn close, but there is still a little something missing.

I love my '59 Bassman RI almost as much as my '58 Twin... But the Twin gets a LOT more play time, at home and gigging. I have a 5e3 for the grab an go / small jam thing. But, it is different as well.

On the Rob Robinette sight, he has a design for a low wattage Bassman. It might get you about as close as possible? I dunno, I've never played one.

Really? At what kind of places do they let you play 80w amps at break up level? I hardly get my 22w deluxe reverb to break up without pedals at my gigs.

Don’t you think a 15W is better to play in and out on small stages? I saw the Victoria Ivy League with three input max power, -6 db and -10db.
    Anyone knows this amp?
    15 watt amp can get lost with a full band thats going hard. In the house I use a....Boss katana.. its perfect for house tones. Even I play just acoustic and its fine. That said I would LOVE this Twin, nothing better than being on stage and looking back at your amp and knowing it can really wail!

Really? At what kind of places do they let you play 80w amps at break up level? I hardly get my 22w deluxe reverb to break up without pedals at my gigs.
    You need to do a few gigs no pedals and DR flat out, takes about 3 gigs to get it down you wont use pedals again, I used to gig Twin Reverb flat out no pedals and had a lovely tone, its all about dynamic and feel

Every gig I play I have amp flat out, I use volume on my guitar.. the hard bit is soundcheck.. when no one is in the room, I just turn up enough to sit in the mix. Then, when gig comes and room is full we use volume dynamics to get it going on

Quote Originally Posted by Stow View Post
    15 watt amp can get lost with a full band thats going hard. In the house I use a....Boss katana.. its perfect for house tones. Even I play just acoustic and its fine. That said I would LOVE this Twin, nothing better than being on stage and looking back at your amp and knowing it can really wail!
    Thanks for your considerations, but I’m searching for a similar Joe’s tone, i know that only with his amp is possible but hope to find something similar without high volume and watts.

I’m searching for a low wattage amp (14/15) that get a colser sound to the JB’s amp.
    Any ideas?
    I played a tweed Bassman for some years. As I got older it got heavier. I had a narrow panel Super clone put together using some older caps, tubes etc. been playing it for 10 years. It' has the familiar tweed tone I hear in a tweed Deluxe, Bassman and Twin. It's 32w, 2-10. 5881's, 4 inputs and 35lbs. it's been just right for my application. I have a Deluxe but it gets drowned out unless miked. The Super is just right.

http://

Les Paul Forum Member

Were you asking me? If so, the serious answer is: only at home... When nobody else is home.

But, if you read my post, you'll see that I don't play it flat out at gigs. I will say that I tend to run my amp around 4-5 on gigs. Then I ride my guitar's volume knob like a $2 whore. But, I always have, ever since I first messed with fuzz pedals and discovered the joy of 7.

Also, realize that unlike the smaller Fender amps, the 5t6-a and 5f8-a have a smoother, slower volume sweep. They don't go from off to too loud by 2. They don't reach full volume until a little bit past halfway up the volume knob.

My 12 watt Deluxe is usually running darn close to flat out at a gig and sometimes it can't keep up. Goodness knows I have no headroom left at full on band volume.

Quote Originally Posted by mr kenny View Post
    I played a tweed Bassman for some years. As I got older it got heavier. I had a narrow panel Super clone put together using some older caps, tubes etc. been playing it for 10 years. It' has the familiar tweed tone I hear in a tweed Deluxe, Bassman and Twin. It's 32w, 2-10. 5881's, 4 inputs and 35lbs. it's been just right for my application. I have a Deluxe but it gets drowned out unless miked. The Super is just right.

http://
    Thank you mr kenny, i’ll search and try but here in Italy is very difficult to find something like this...

Les Paul Forum Member

Now that they have sold out the introductory run and are actively advertising as a production model, what is the street price?
    everybody gets another chance at one...