NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Les Paul Forum Member

Re: Fender ‘59 Twin-Amp™ JB Edition released

I put one in my cart on JB.com. Then figured I’d wait for Mike’s review before purchasing.
    i want, but absolutely no need for 85watts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
    I put one in my cart on JB.com. Then figured I’d wait for Mike’s review before purchasing.
    i want, but absolutely no need for 85watts.
    None of us do... What's that got to do with anything???
    Stop by and get reacquainted with The all NEW Fender Forum

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSlub View Post
    Okay, call me crazy. I ordered one. Told Joe that I really NEED 85 thunderous watts for the small venues that I play at.
    Awesome, Mike! Look forward to hearing your tone report.

Les Paul Forum Member

I'd be interested to play it next to a Victoria built High Power Twin.
    2014 R8 VOS Sunburst - 2001 R4-JB Oxblood - 1984 Explorer - 2002 Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quilt Top - 1995 Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster - 1952 Telecaster - Victoria #0000 "Prototype Sovereign" - Victoria "Prototype All American Hero" - Manlay Sound Superbender - Vox CryBaby - Klon - Topanga - Mu-Tron 3x - Echoplex

What a great sounding amp!!! is there a smaller 10w-20w option to this for apartment playing?

Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jam81 View Post
    What a great sounding amp!!! is there a smaller 10w-20w option to this for apartment playing?

No. AFAIK, the only authentic hand-wired tweed Fender offers in that power configuration is called a Deluxe, and it's a different kettle of fish.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/guitar...150500100.html

I doubt the neighbors will agree it's suitable for "apartment playing", though.

Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar

I'm trying not to buy one of these

they are really cool

I do not need.... that is for sure.

need vs want. want usually wins.

Couldn't you pull half of the tubes like on a Twin Reverb? That and a attenuator might get you to usable levels at home.
    I have to say the size is just perfect to put a cup of tea and some sheet music next to you while playing

Quote Originally Posted by Xpensive Wino View Post
    No. AFAIK, the only authentic hand-wired tweed Fender offers in that power configuration is called a Deluxe, and it's a different kettle of fish.

Or........the EC Twin-o-lux. You can play it in an apartment. Kinda.

Les Paul Forum Member

Fryette PS2

Thanks, How does that deluxe sound? 2K for a 12w amp ??? I think my neighbors would be ok with that, I usually play a DSL40 (on the 20W setup) and so far no complains

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
    No ****? I've played a 40w clone but never the big gun. If they're what I'd call "warm" at all volumes I definitely have to try one, some big amps just don't sound too nice on "3" but some sound great.

My amp sounds incredible on 2 with the guitar volume turned way down, even!

At home, I play with the amp's Bright Volume a little above 2, the Presence on ~9, Middle on ~10, Bass on ~4, Treble on ~2-3. I turn my guitar down to 4-6 and I have a wonderful, warm, harmonically rich, hairy edge of breakup clean. So luscious and sweet. The amp is warm form the second it starts making noise, just off 1.

At gigs, I am usually running my amp around 4. I play in a four piece with a harp player. I use my guitar's volume to run from clean to mean. Sometimes with multiple guitar players, I end up turning up a bit more, Tuesday night with two other guitar players, i was on 5 or 6 by the end of the evening, but dialing back my guitar gets a really beautiful hairy clean. Rolling the guitar up and it's really starting to rock. With Humbuckers and P-90s you really are into classic rock and roll territory. I think max volume is probably somewhere around 6 or 7 on the dial.. But, it goes to 12. By ten it is freaking saturated... But it is blisteringly loud too. My neighbors must like my playing... That's all I gotta say about that. I have never pushed it beyond 6 at a gig, never needed to.

I do not play higher gain stuff, not even anywhere near Joe B's stuff. I play much more traditional Chicago, Texas and West Coast stuff. My ultimate goal is somewhere near T-Bone Walker and Hollywood Fats kinda tone. The Twin and a Gibson absolutely NAILS Hollywood Fats tone! But, you know, every now and again, you kinda want Rory Gallagher! So, i keep a Tim and Keely Fuzz Head on the gig board... Plus, I have a collection of other dirt pedals if I really wanna rock out. One pedal that really surprised me was the DOD OD 250! Wow, what a great sound!

Anyway, I am solidly in the school of thought that any guitar player who is interested in classic guitar tones should, some day, try to play through a 5f8-a Twin. As Joe says in one of the videos, 'It changed my life'.

Quote Originally Posted by Axis39 View Post
    My amp sounds incredible on 2 with the guitar volume turned way down, even!

At home, I play with the amp's Bright Volume a little above 2, the Presence on ~9, Middle on ~10, Bass on ~4, Treble on ~2-3. I turn my guitar down to 4-6 and I have a wonderful, warm, harmonically rich, hairy edge of breakup clean. So luscious and sweet. The amp is warm form the second it starts making noise, just off 1.

At gigs, I am usually running my amp around 4. I play in a four piece with a harp player. I use my guitar's volume to run from clean to mean. Sometimes with multiple guitar players, I end up turning up a bit more, Tuesday night with two other guitar players, i was on 5 or 6 by the end of the evening, but dialing back my guitar gets a really beautiful hairy clean. Rolling the guitar up and it's really starting to rock. With Humbuckers and P-90s you really are into classic rock and roll territory. I think max volume is probably somewhere around 6 or 7 on the dial.. But, it goes to 12. By ten it is freaking saturated... But it is blisteringly loud too. My neighbors must like my playing... That's all I gotta say about that. I have never pushed it beyond 6 at a gig, never needed to.

I do not play higher gain stuff, not even anywhere near Joe B's stuff. I play much more traditional Chicago, Texas and West Coast stuff. My ultimate goal is somewhere near T-Bone Walker and Hollywood Fats kinda tone. The Twin and a Gibson absolutely NAILS Hollywood Fats tone! But, you know, every now and again, you kinda want Rory Gallagher! So, i keep a Tim and Keely Fuzz Head on the gig board... Plus, I have a collection of other dirt pedals if I really wanna rock out. One pedal that really surprised me was the DOD OD 250! Wow, what a great sound!

Anyway, I am solidly in the school of thought that any guitar player who is interested in classic guitar tones should, some day, try to play through a 5f8-a Twin. As Joe says in one of the videos, 'It changed my life'.

And there you have it.

The whole idea is headroom.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fakejake View Post
    Couldn't you pull half of the tubes like on a Twin Reverb? That and a attenuator might get you to usable levels at home.
    I have to say the size is just perfect to put a cup of tea and some sheet music next to you while playing
    Yeah, you can pull two tubes, just like the later twins. It does cut down on overall sound levels, but it’s not half as loud. But, it definitely reduces the sound pressure. It becomes like a thicker Bassman.

Yeah, you can pull two tubes, just like the later twins. It does cut down on overall sound levels, but it’s not half as loud. But, it definitely reduces the sound pressure. It becomes like a thicker Bassman.
    I pulled two power tubes on my 57 Twin RI but it was waaaaaayyyy to quiet.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Now, a Bassman down Low sounds fantabulous! These are the same?

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jam81 View Post
    Thanks, How does that deluxe sound? 2K for a 12w amp ??? I think my neighbors would be ok with that, I usually play a DSL40 (on the 20W setup) and so far no complains
    The Deluxe is very different. 6v6 vs 6l6 power tubes, cathode vs. fixed bias, etc. And, it's too loud for home play if you're looking for amp saturation as well. The biggest problem with a 5e3 Deluxe (well, every generation fo Deluxe I've had the pleasure to try) is that the volume jump from nothing, to too thin, to too loud for home use is very, very quick. HOWEVER, if you use your gutiar volume knobs, you can achieve low volume tonal joy!

I gig a Deluxe, when I just don't feel like carrying the Twin. Even it can be too loud at 12 watts in a bar... But, I do run out of clean headroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I pulled two power tubes on my 57 Twin RI but it was waaaaaayyyy to quiet.
    Which two? both recitfiers, both power tubes or one of each?

There is a tone/volume mod that you can do with the Deluxe 5E3 circuit ...that enables a wide range for volume control. I have this setup on one of mine and it turns the amp into an almost 2 channel with low volume capability for each. You still get the tweed sound.

For small venue gigs, I use one channel for the pedal steel and the other for my 6 string geetars.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Now, a Bassman down Low sounds fantabulous! These are the same?
    Yes... and no.

The circuit is exactly the same, component for component, with the extra tube exceptions and differences in transformers and speakers. You'd think they'd sound more alike than they do... I guess it's kinda like the 50 and 100 watt Marshalls, really.

The Bassman has a nice edge of breakup for a long way up the volume knob, in a similar fashion to the Twin. The Twin is cleaner longer. The big difference is that the Twin is always more authoritative. It has more thump. The bass response is tighter and just always more present. It's that big power transformer handling more fo the frequency range better. The 2x12 and 4x10 fill a room differently as well. The Bassman is a little more airy in how the sound travels (not tone wise). I won't say the Twin is directional, because it is not beamy. But, off axis sound is 'more different' than with a Bassman.

Les Paul Forum Member

Yes... and no.

The circuit is exactly the same, component for component, with the extra tube exceptions and differences in transformers and speakers. You'd think they'd sound more alike than they do... I guess it's kinda like the 50 and 100 watt Marshalls, really.

The Bassman has a nice edge of breakup for a long way up the volume knob, in a similar fashion to the Twin. The Twin is cleaner longer. The big difference is that the Twin is always more authoritative. It has more thump. The bass response is tighter and just always more present. It's that big power transformer handling more fo the frequency range better. The 2x12 and 4x10 fill a room differently as well. The Bassman is a little more airy in how the sound travels (not tone wise). I won't say the Twin is directional, because it is not beamy. But, off axis sound is 'more different' than with a Bassman.
    I would really like to play through a 5F8A circuit. I have owned and worked on a fair number of various Tweeds, but that is one that has not come around me. Axis39, have you ever had the pleasure of playing/comparing a 5F6A and a 5F8A through the same speakers/cab? That would interest me greatly, too.
    "As soon as man does not take his existence for granted, but beholds it as something unfathomably mysterious, thought begins." Albert Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Or........the EC Twin-o-lux. You can play it in an apartment. Kinda.

whats that? I thought you got one of the ES 335's without the binding? the 58 reissue...

is that a Rusty--? is it new? or a 59 ?

but then there are grovers....

and what pups you got in there?

what is that!?

So I'm the proud new owner of JB0029. Man this thing is about as AWESOME as it gets. Loud as hell... but it certainly has that "sound" that you completely expect.
    Last edited by MalibuKasey; 04-09-18 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pellman73 View Post
    whats that? I thought you got one of the ES 335's without the binding? the 58 reissue...

is that a Rusty--? is it new? or a 59 ?

but then there are grovers....

and what pups you got in there?

what is that!?
    A limited run they did a while back. They called it 'The 59 Lemonburst'. It had Dimarzio Anniversaries and Grovers from the get go. I don't know why they didn't do it with the back red though...

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    I would really like to play through a 5F8A circuit. I have owned and worked on a fair number of various Tweeds, but that is one that has not come around me. Axis39, have you ever had the pleasure of playing/comparing a 5F6A and a 5F8A through the same speakers/cab? That would interest me greatly, too.
    I haven't Wally.

I do have my '59 Bassman Reissue and was actually rather surprised at how good the Bassman stands up to the Twin. The biggest difference I found between the two amps was about bass and treble response. But, I never ran them through each other's speaker compliment. And, right now, my Bassman is awaiting a re-wiring (I'm doing the hand wire conversion).

The bottom line is that the Twin is bigger sounding. It has authority. The Bassman fills a room, the sound spreads out and just sounds fantastic. It's sparkly, overdrives beautifully. It has that edge of break up thing early on and you can ride it for quite a ways up the volume knob before you reach that glorious saturation. The Twin reacts similarly, but it has more...

The Twin fills a room with sound in a different way. it's slightly more directional. I know this is the 4x10 vs. 2x12. Makes me wonder what a 4x10 Twin would sound like? Hmmm.....

[Speaking to myself] "I do not need this amp", "I do not need this amp", "I do not need this amp", "I do not need this amp", "I do not need this amp", "I do not need this amp"...

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    [Speaking to myself] "I do not need this amp", "I do not need this amp", "I do not need this amp", "I do not need this amp", "I do not need this amp", "I do not need this amp"...
    sold out

Les Paul Forum Member

I hesitated, I lost out...didn’t realize the initial run was only 150 units.

sold out

I told everyone they needed to pull the trigger sharpish if they wanted one, didn't I?

sold out
    Yeah... I saw that about a minute after my last post...

I told everyone they needed to pull the trigger sharpish if they wanted one, didn't I?
    Yes you did, and I knew you were right...

There's obviously a market out there. Do they make a few more, or let it rest????

Les Paul Forum Member

Ultimately my own fault, but I called Monday to speak with customer service...never heard back :( I had questions about delivery to my son’s school address (different than my credit card’s billing address) and to ask why I was being charged tax.
    Disappointing...I guess no hurry to purchase now, since I missed the initial production run.

Dang I would have never guessed they would have went that quick.

Did anyone else on here grab one?

Les Paul Forum Member

I have one on the way. Should be here Tuesday.

Well I'm too late. Never played one but I AM interested now. The Bassman is a beautiful beast even on 3-4. Everything youse guys are saying says this is even better. Well, there is ANOTHER one I will never have. I guess it's good for me to have a few unobtainum goals...

Sorting the buyers from the spy-ers.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Minnis View Post
    Awesome, Mike! Look forward to hearing your tone report.
    Michael, all I can say is that it is a glorious sounding amp. Way more power than I need, but the tone and girth with a quad of 6L6s cooking are amazing!

It is hernia producing weight-wise and awkward to carry with that leather strap handle. I won’t be moving it around very often.

Last edited by MikeSlub; 04-14-18 at 05:35 PM.
    Mike Slubowski

* "Gibson guitars are like potato chips - you can't have just one!"

* "So many Gibsons to love, so little time..."

For those of you with spousal issues, may I make a suggestion? Tell your fine lady that it doubles as a blow dryer. You're going to have to SELL IT!

Quote Originally Posted by T.Allen View Post
    For those of you with spousal issues, may I make a suggestion? Tell your fine lady that it doubles as a blow dryer. You're going to have to SELL IT!

You can also tell her it is an effective Hearing Reduction Device. Stand in front of it long enough and she won't complain about how loud you're playing anymore.