• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD - My first vintage guitar! - 1953/4 LP GT

Patek

Thanks Marfen & Allen

fair enough certainly I’ll just play it safe and see how it goes

i will post a shot of the jack plate so you can see where it is caving in and see what your thoughts are. Tuners ok I’ll leave, I’ll see how it goes with the bridge, and switch tip perhaps I’ll just keep in a little bag as that could easily get broken knowing me if I forget mid play what I’m playing

sidekick

Patek ... Congrats on your guitar. ... :2cool Reminds me, (the checking - that is) of my '54 GT that I sold a few years back. What a great weight yours is though.

If you do change the original thin-ear wraptail for a MojoAxe wrapover, you'll need to buy their studs as well.

Patek

Patek ... Congrats on your guitar. ... :2cool Reminds me, (the checking - that is) of my '54 GT that I sold a few years back. What a great weight yours is though.

If you do change the original thin-ear wraptail for a MojoAxe wrapover, you'll need to buy their studs as well.

Many thanks sidekick !

akstrat61

It might be worth a try to take some good photos of the serial number from a couple of different angles and use photoshop to try and uncover the serial number. It is amazing what can be done with that program and a good picture. By manipulating the hues, intensities, colors and such, unreadable numbers can sometimes pop right out??:hmm

In any event, it looks like a very cool guitar! Congrats!:dude:

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
Whoa! I was on vacation, so I missed this thread... KILLER GUITAR!!! Congrats!!! :salude

Reno_1ted

This is a badass guitar !! Awesome that you got your dream - play in the best of health sir!

JIMI55LP

If you remove strings and the wraptail piece, unscrew either of the posts while counting the turns to know how high the post was, measure the thickness of the threaded bushings. They were originally 1/2" making them very capable of twisting and tilting toward the neck. Bend a paper clip straight with the tip end bent to a 90 degree about 1/8" out and probe down the bushings from top to bottom to test the thickness. If they are still 1/2", I'd advice you change them both to 7/8" or 1" which are both widely available in authentic spec without very much expense and the removal and install will save you from a very bad repair down the line. I used Pigtail with total satisfaction with the authenticity of their items and the install was safe and easy for 3 of my early 50s Les Paul Specials when I discovered a ground failure on my 55 with a very slight tilt. The problem is just as likely for Standards with 1/2" bushings even with the maple cap! If they're twisting/tilting already, the smashed/crushed side walls can be steamed back to correct spec in most cases and even strengthened by wicking with thin CA Glue if the walls feel soft. The longer bushings will go into virgin mortise and hold tight despite the upper repair. If you wait for the tilt to happen you may find it shatters the top edge of the maple between the bridge pup and the posts which is very difficult to repair in compare. Congrats on your purchase as it's over the top fine!

Patek

It might be worth a try to take some good photos of the serial number from a couple of different angles and use photoshop to try and uncover the serial number. It is amazing what can be done with that program and a good picture. By manipulating the hues, intensities, colors and such, unreadable numbers can sometimes pop right out??:hmm

In any event, it looks like a very cool guitar! Congrats!:dude:

Thanks Ak, a great idea !!!! I’ll definately do that when I get a chance. I’m sure there is someone online who would be able to give a hand, I’ll happy pay a fee for their effort. As I certainly have no photoshop experience. Many thanks again

Patek

Whoa! I was on vacation, so I missed this thread... KILLER GUITAR!!! Congrats!!! :salude

Thanks Kenny !!!

This is a badass guitar !! Awesome that you got your dream - play in the best of health sir!

Thanks reno !!!

it is absolutely killer KILLER. Honestly, it’s so damn loud acoustically it’s a joke. Plugged it into a Friedman PT20 today and DAMN! It sings, it cries, it shouts aggressively and it can do any metal that I’ve thrown at it, the pickups are smoking hot P90s they put the custombuckers in my R9 to shame. I honestly don’t think I need it anymore based on how this thing handles everything and the kitchen sink

If you remove strings and the wraptail piece, unscrew either of the posts while counting the turns to know how high the post was, measure the thickness of the threaded bushings. They were originally 1/2" making them very capable of twisting and tilting toward the neck. Bend a paper clip straight with the tip end bent to a 90 degree about 1/8" out and probe down the bushings from top to bottom to test the thickness. If they are still 1/2", I'd advice you change them both to 7/8" or 1" which are both widely available in authentic spec without very much expense and the removal and install will save you from a very bad repair down the line. I used Pigtail with total satisfaction with the authenticity of their items and the install was safe and easy for 3 of my early 50s Les Paul Specials when I discovered a ground failure on my 55 with a very slight tilt. The problem is just as likely for Standards with 1/2" bushings even with the maple cap! If they're twisting/tilting already, the smashed/crushed side walls can be steamed back to correct spec in most cases and even strengthened by wicking with thin CA Glue if the walls feel soft. The longer bushings will go into virgin mortise and hold tight despite the upper repair. If you wait for the tilt to happen you may find it shatters the top edge of the maple between the bridge pup and the posts which is very difficult to repair in compare. Congrats on your purchase as it's over the top fine!

Thanks for the tips JIM; I think it’s a bit of my league at the moment as I have no idea what you are taking about :rofl which technically I should; so therefore I will learn what it is you are saying by doing a bit of research and come back to you. Cheers

Patek

0-B461-AE0-4218-4411-AFC3-2-EF8297-B0-E3-F.jpg

50900-D10-35-C9-4-DF5-98-A7-EB8448720-F05.jpg

86-A782-EB-D8-C2-4-D0-E-B819-56-D649-DEF7-F8.jpg

7-B6-E5517-083-A-4-FE9-A276-17689-D5978-B7.jpg

FCA47-D4-D-7-CBE-45-B3-A311-7-CB4-D154-FFFA.jpg

B212030-C-DE84-462-A-95-A7-7-BEA556-F0-BC2.jpg

BC4949-D7-0-C46-4266-9-A25-E83242124352.jpg

52-AE65-CE-6820-4903-AF5-A-91-F28-B6-F9-E43.jpg

BA9-F0966-9-BB5-4037-98-F3-6046-DB395-B8-C.jpg

92-DD8-D20-014-B-4486-92-E1-E7-DC1-B1-CE279.jpg

Last edited:

jeffreylucky1

Congratulations!!! What an absolutely perfect vintage beauty! It has all the proper wear and finish checking that a well loved tone machine should have.
I am very envious....
It sounds like you are a hard worker that is enjoying the fruits of his labor in the best possible way!
Enjoy it in good health!

Jeff

rockinlespaul

Congratulations on a beautiful looking guitar! I bet it sounds like a million bucks!

The envelope is simply a first day cover from 1953. Not really worth much, but cool to have as part of the provenance.

May you enjoy the hell out of that beauty!

Patek

Congratulations!!! What an absolutely perfect vintage beauty! It has all the proper wear and finish checking that a well loved tone machine should have.
I am very envious....
It sounds like you are a hard worker that is enjoying the fruits of his labor in the best possible way!
Enjoy it in good health!

Jeff

thanks a lot Jeff!! I really appreciate the kind comment

Congratulations on a beautiful looking guitar! I bet it sounds like a million bucks!

The envelope is simply a first day cover from 1953. Not really worth much, but cool to have as part of the provenance.

May you enjoy the hell out of that beauty!

thanka rock! It really does, can’t put it down at the moment, really is a dream come true. The weight is so beautiful it’s really helpful to have no aches after a couple of hours. That couple of lb does make a difference. Many thanks !

Patek

This guitar is now for sale due to my wife having to go for a costly operation next year followed by IVF, which some might be aware is very expensive and we don’t qualify under the NHS in our town :(
ive got to do the right thing and move on from the LP.

£19,500 Contact me on Bill.runham@gmail.com