• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

ABR1 replicas...

Ed A

So I know Faber makes a good ABR1... what I am looking for is a replica ABR1 that is warm and SOFT sounding.... not interested in hard and bright sounding... any suggestions?

fender69

Ask TM1 aka Don, he's been through the ABR gauntlet. He will have good insights

TM1

The ones I've ended up really liking are the ABM bell brass ABR-1's very warm, lots of sustain & really very musical sounding. Made in Germany and machined out of a billet of bell brass.

garywright

Ed ...I'm pleased with my Faber that has optional natural (non-plated) brass saddles ..plus you can easily find one for sale

korus

Faber body is less 'hard' sounding than Kluson and Gibson, it says somewhere Zamak used for it has 70% of Zinc and 30% of Aluminium. However, the choice they've made to use thin carbon steel intonation screws like those on Nashville type bridges is ... strange. To me, Kluson ABR-1 with raw brass saddles sounds less bright and with bigger lows than Faber ABR-1.

I did try Tokiwa All Brass ABR-1 made in Japan and I did not try ABM made in Germany bell brass ABR-1. I have also modern Gibson ABR-1 with '62 saddles. I am positive brass ABR-1 body is not the solution, it is softer Zamak, more Aluminum less Zink. Intonation screwd have to be brass not carbon steel.

For me, the best result is Kluson ABR-1 with raw brass saddles, Faber thumbwheels and brass posts made by cutting vintage brass #6-32 screws.

And I am sure I will make myself some copies of Gibson ABR-1 with Faber like Zamak for body and brass with 80% Copper and 20% Zink for all other parts - saddles, intonation screws, thumbwheels and posts. That will eliminate any harshness coming from ABR-1.

Also tailpiece studs made of softer carbon steel like 1008 or even 1006, instead of 1018, will also make tone less thin, with stronger lows and more mids = closer to original.

doubletone

Curious if you’ve decided on an ABR-1, Ed. Do you know what came stock in the guitar? I have one from the same builder...