• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NAD: 1998 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50

So this is my first foray into the Marshall world. Normally I'm a Fender guy. My first Marshall.

At this store (Dave's Guitar Shop) they had both a DSL 100 and DSL 50. I played both and found the 50 to be plenty loud but also had a slightly more likeable tone to my ears.

I REALLY love the green channel with crunch engaged. I find it to be a perfect classic rock tone. I'm a classic rock guy, that's the style I play in (Young, Perry, Page, Slash, etc). I plugged in my old 1964 Gibson SG Special with P-90s and got a great tone. I also plugged in my R0 and it sounded great also. I definitely am very happy with the amp thus far. The 2nd gain channel is a bit much, lead 1 is usable but lead 2 is a bit too metal for this 70s rock guy. I can always gas up the green channel with a boost and I think I will hang with that for now.

I've had a Marshall cab for years laying around. A JCM900 straight cab with G12T-75s. But no head until now. I find I really like the sound of this amp but I'm thinking of a speaker swap.

nFTz3rF.jpg

Don

That looks like fun! I just made my first foray into a full size Marshall style circuit as well (though mine's an Avatar). I'm loving it!

mdubya

Congrats! :salude

I haven't played a DSL, but when faced with high gain, I can usually get some pretty entertaining lead tones by rolling the pickup volumes down until they are almost off. That takes the fizzy gain away and leaves the juice. ymmv, but worth messing around with. :peace2

Congrats! :salude

I haven't played a DSL, but when faced with high gain, I can usually get some pretty entertaining lead tones by rolling the pickup volumes down until they are almost off. That takes the fizzy gain away and leaves the juice. ymmv, but worth messing around with. :peace2

Thanks! That's a great idea! The green channel is very classic rock but the red channel is pretty metal-y and a bit fizzy.

TxMack

I love the DSL 50! Don't give up on the red channel. Lot's of good snarl there.
I like it a lot and I am not a metal guy. (but I do like a little dirt dripping off the chords sometimes!)

grimlyflick

The trick to getting a good sound with the red channel is to clip the C12 bright cap on the gain control.
If you then have the gain set around 4-6’ish using Lead I and run the volume loud, the red channel is a good match for the green.

I used to use an attenuator to run the volumes high and get both channels working well together.

This is only good for gigging levels though as the power amp needs to be cooking.
:salude

ntotoro

I've had a Marshall cab for years laying around. A JCM900 straight cab with G12T-75s. But no head until now. I find I really like the sound of this amp but I'm thinking of a speaker swap.

I've personally never liked the G12T-75's in anything I've ever heard them played, whether personal, a soundclip, video or whatever. Not sure whether it would be more cost-effective to try a bunch of cabs and setups and maybe sell your cab or to put new speakers in yours. My tastes really do hover more toward Greenbacks, even with a DSL. Power-wise, you'd be fine with those in a 4x12. Try a bunch of different cabs with your head and see what you like best.

Nick

Keefoman

Nice one. I've been thinking about a DSL 50 myself lately. Guess I'll pull the trigger when the right deal comes along...

P.Walker

I like those. Before you go mess with the innards, turn off all the EQs down to zero (maybe mids on 2), classic channel gain/volume on 8/8, goose it with a tube driver, 808, klon, whatever. Was doing it before I found out Bonamassa used to do it with one of his DSLs.

abkeller1

I used to have a JCM 800 2204 combo. Sold it last year, just way too loud. Loved the tone though. Few months later bought JCM 2000 DSL 50 with Marshall 2x12 cabinet (Vintage 30/Heritage). It's a totally different amp. Different sound. Much more modern. Way higher gain. Came with Svetlana power tubes and crappy groove preamp tubes. Changed preamp to JJ's. The red channel once hit 3 on MV thickens up and has a thick meaty chugging sound and crazy sustain with that midrange bright punch Marshall tone. The green channel by itself sound like crap. But put a Tubescreamer TS-9 on the green channel and it will sustain forever and sound thick and crazy gain. The other day one power tube failed. Replaced with JJ's. The amp lost it bass and punch. However the cleans were much better. Put back in the Svetlana and it screams again. I don't think people realize that those Russian tubes really give it it's punchy sound. I don't think one can compare it to a JCM 800. It's just a different amp. It's not one is better than the other. Just different sound. I do miss the 800. I wish i had both. The right speakers make also make the difference too. [h=1][/h]

Andrew

UGH!! I'm very jealous. I'd love a DSL40C or a DSL50. I've never had a marshall tube amp.

Every other weekend I flip between needing a DSL40C or Fender tweed Bassman in my life :spabout