The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Gretsch Appreciation Thread

Sorry fellas if this has been done before, but let's see some Gretsch guitars please.

Here's mine, a 2015 Black Falcon Player's Edition:

Re: Gretsch Appreciation Thread

Wish I had one - so I could post. Nice BF!

Kids, college tuition and cars - are stealing my gear money
    Some people call me old fashion - but fire scares me

I've owned 4 modern Gretsch guitars (2 Prolines and 2 Electromatics) all but one of the Electro's were great guitars. These are my current 2:

2016 Vintage Select 6120-55. Rivals my LP for attention around the house. Gretsch Japan make excellent guitars equaling PRS USA in terms of quality control. It's one of the few exceptions that modern is better built than Vintage... imo.

There's actually some nice subtle flame the above pic doesn't pick up.

2009 Electromatic 5120-JimmyC. Gretsch hired Kustom artist JimmyC to hand paint 750, 5120's in late 2008 to early 2009. 6 different color schemes on either black or orange guitars. Mine has been modified with TV Jones Classic pickups, plus the rest of the electronics, bridge (twice)... and a few other things. Definitely a player guitar that has served me well as a main band guitar that always gets looks. Great shallow C shape neck profile. A really comfortable guitar to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace139 View Post
    Wish I had one - so I could post. Nice BF!

Kids, college tuition and cars - are stealing my gear money
    Thank you and I understand!

maybe one of these days you can snag one for a good price if you are into them though!

Quote Originally Posted by sonar View Post
    I've owned 4 modern Gretsch guitars (2 Prolines and 2 Electromatics) all but one of the Electro's were great guitars. These are my current 2:

2016 Vintage Select 6120-55. Rivals my LP for attention around the house. Gretsch Japan make excellent guitars equaling PRS USA in terms of quality control. It's one of the few exceptions that modern is better built than Vintage... imo.

There's actually some nice subtle flame the above pic doesn't pick up.

2009 Electromatic 5120-JimmyC. Gretsch hired Kustom artist JimmyC to hand paint 750, 5120's in late 2008 to early 2009. 6 different color schemes on either black or orange guitars. Mine has been modified with TV Jones Classic pickups, plus the rest of the electronics, bridge (twice)... and a few other things. Definitely a player guitar that has served me well as a main band guitar that always gets looks. Great shallow C shape neck profile. A really comfortable guitar to play.

Nice guitars! I especially love your 6120! I would love to have a 6120.. and I'd get a Vintage select...I'd also love to have a Vintage Select 53 Duo Jet with the script logo. My Falcon is Japanese made as well. I would love a US made Custom Shop Gretsch, but I totally agree with you that the Japanese made ones are extremely high quality. My Falcon is essentially flawless and an absolute magnificent beast of a guitar, I play it more than my Les Pauls these days.

I don't have experience with the Electromatics but they seem to be generally well made esp. considering the price.

I think my next dream Gretsch is a US made Master Built Custom Shop Duo Jet, like in a black sparkle or some such...one of these days!

6118T SGR Players Edition - A killer feedback machine

My Limited Edition FSR Flametop DuoJet - Rings like a bell (titanium TruArc bridge not pictured)

A recording of my old Country Gent....

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-weldon...t-this-feeling

https://imgur.com/a/7lkAJ

i so donít understand how to post images on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
    6118T SGR Players Edition - A killer feedback machine

My Limited Edition FSR Flametop DuoJet - Rings like a bell (titanium TruArc bridge not pictured)

A recording of my old Country Gent....

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-weldon...t-this-feeling
    Killer! Is that a player's edition Annie? I would love to get one of those smoke green Annies, and some sort of duo jet!

do you haver the HS filtertrons, or TV Jones in those beauties?

Quote Originally Posted by Dilver View Post
    https://imgur.com/a/7lkAJ

i so donít understand how to post images on this site.
    Here you go:

Super Bitchin' Gretsches!

So am I looking at:
    - a smoke green Annie! is that a vintage select? I gotta get a smoke green Annie!
    - a purple Setzer Hot Rod
    - a Setzer Black Pheonix
    - a 6120?

can you please clarify?

And diggin' the Nocturne Brain Seltzer pedal

So, on Imgur click on the picture, and then on the right side you'll find BBcode, click on copy, and then paste inside the thread reply box

This is my Swiss Army Knife. It does everything beautifully.
    2006 Power Tenny. 1 0f 100. The earliest number in the registry.

"...this thing is a destroyer of planets, a tonal doom-bringer, a wooden warrior from another dimension." Frutiger

Quote Originally Posted by RocknRollShakeUp View Post
    Nice guitars! I especially love your 6120! I would love to have a 6120.. and I'd get a Vintage select...I'd also love to have a Vintage Select 53 Duo Jet with the script logo. My Falcon is Japanese made as well. I would love a US made Custom Shop Gretsch, but I totally agree with you that the Japanese made ones are extremely high quality. My Falcon is essentially flawless and an absolute magnificent beast of a guitar, I play it more than my Les Pauls these days.

I don't have experience with the Electromatics but they seem to be generally well made esp. considering the price.

I think my next dream Gretsch is a US made Master Built Custom Shop Duo Jet, like in a black sparkle or some such...one of these days!
    My Electromatic has been a great guitar with lots of use and abuse, but admittedly I did more than a few mods mostly addressing the low grade electronics. The 5120's had really awful full sized humbuckers and the wiring harness was also low grade, eventually replaced after parts of the harness started to fail.

I owned another Electromatic that had really cool pickups (Dearmond 2000's) but the guitar itself was a bit of a dog player. From what I can tell the Korean Electromatics are generally good value guitars, and the one I kept is one of my favorite guitars at any price range, so I look at the Electromatic I got rid of as the rare dog.

My Proline is pretty much a dream out of the box. Fit and finish is flawless with excellent electronics. I did add a few shims to prop up the pickups to TV Jones specs, but that cost all of $4 and 15 minutes with a screwdriver.

If I were to get another Gretsch I'd probably go for an Anniversary with filtertrons.

Very sweet...

Btw, the rug really ties the room together

Until recently, never paid attention to Gretschs other than George Harrison's and Brian Setzer's, actually, hadn't even played one.

Picked up a new 6128T Duo Jet a couple of months ago - wanted to add another color to the tone palette.

Not only does it get the rockabilly thing happening but the Filter'Trons really deliver some great rock tones.

Replaced the bridge with a Schaller roller one and pinned it down. Also, added a treble bleed to the master volume.

Not crazy about the strap locks - going to swap those out.

Playability, fit and finish are excellent - for those inclined, highly recommend...

Last edited by Root66; 04-10-18 at 03:08 PM.

My Electromatic has been a great guitar with lots of use and abuse, but admittedly I did more than a few mods mostly addressing the low grade electronics. The 5120's had really awful full sized humbuckers and the wiring harness was also low grade, eventually replaced after parts of the harness started to fail.

I owned another Electromatic that had really cool pickups (Dearmond 2000's) but the guitar itself was a bit of a dog player. From what I can tell the Korean Electromatics are generally good value guitars, and the one I kept is one of my favorite guitars at any price range, so I look at the Electromatic I got rid of as the rare dog.

My Proline is pretty much a dream out of the box. Fit and finish is flawless with excellent electronics. I did add a few shims to prop up the pickups to TV Jones specs, but that cost all of $4 and 15 minutes with a screwdriver.

If I were to get another Gretsch I'd probably go for an Anniversary with filtertrons.
    Yeah although I've read really good things about the Electromatics, the Prolines seem to be pretty flawless, except like you say some have the pickups set up too low!

Quote Originally Posted by Root66 View Post
    Until recently, never paid attention to Gretschs other than George Harrison's and Brian Setzer's, actually, hadn't even played one.

Picked up a new 6128T Duo Jet a couple of months ago - wanted to add another color to the tone palette.

Not only does it get the rockabilly thing happening but the Filter'Trons really deliver some great rock tones.

Replaced the bridge with a Schaller roller one and pinned it down. Also, added a treble bleed to the master volume.

Not crazy about the strap locks - going to swap those out.

Playability, fit and finish are excellent - for those inclined, highly recommend...

Very nice! do those come with HS Filtertrons or TV Jones pickups? For me it is pretty hard to beat fltertrons as a general pickup.

Killer! Is that a player's edition Annie? I would love to get one of those smoke green Annies, and some sort of duo jet!

do you haver the HS filtertrons, or TV Jones in those beauties?
    Player's Edition, and both guitars have HS Filtertrons!

This is my old 1956 Duo Jet. I play with her in my Mediterranean indie band. She sounds bright, fat and clear. And cuts like a knife.

Les Paul Forum Member

would love to have a 6120 but the only one i could ever try had quite a small neck compared to my gibsons. anybody knows if they offer some bigger necks like 50s gibsons too?? and anybody ever tried the eddie cochran model? wonder how that p90 sounds in that guitar....

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 0 2339 View Post
    would love to have a 6120 but the only one i could ever try had quite a small neck compared to my gibsons. anybody knows if they offer some bigger necks like 50s gibsons too?? and anybody ever tried the eddie cochran model? wonder how that p90 sounds in that guitar....

cheers
    Gretsch spec their Vintage Select necks to a "U" shape. A fuller profile for sure.

In my old age I've grown to like the slimmer necks Gretsch used to have, pre-VS series. For the artist models the Duane Eddy model is still pretty thin. Not sure about the Cochran?

Quote Originally Posted by montesada View Post
    This is my Swiss Army Knife. It does everything beautifully.
    2006 Power Tenny. 1 0f 100. The earliest number in the registry.
    Somehow I missed this post! What a cool Gretsch! I know nothing of this model..a Power Tennessean? Can you please tell us more about it? Body size and depth, pickups, bracing, center block?

Quote Originally Posted by slimdave View Post
    This is my old 1956 Duo Jet. I play with her in my Mediterranean indie band. She sounds bright, fat and clear. And cuts like a knife.

....oh Lordy!!! man...that's one of my dream guitars right there..I think it will be hard to go vintage, so I think I will try to get a Gretsch Custom Shop master built 56 duo jet at some point

..my dilemma with a jet will be Dynasonics or Filtertrons..I'm leaning Dynasonics in a Jet, either the Seymour Duncans or TV Jones TArmons, what do you guys think?

Player's Edition, and both guitars have HS Filtertrons!
    Love it

Gretsch spec their Vintage Select necks to a "U" shape. A fuller profile for sure.

In my old age I've grown to like the slimmer necks Gretsch used to have, pre-VS series. For the artist models the Duane Eddy model is still pretty thin. Not sure about the Cochran?
    I have to say the slimmer neck on my Falcon doesn't bother me a bit, whilst the modern C necks on Fender Standard Strats for example I found annoyingly thin. I love my .93/1.00" necks on my R4 and R7, but there's something really great about the slimmer neck on that Falcon, so I know what you mean about growing to like the slimmer Gretsches.

I also think the Custom Shop Made in the USA Gretsches have thicker necks.

Very nice! do those come with HS Filtertrons or TV Jones pickups? For me it is pretty hard to beat fltertrons as a general pickup.
    It has HS Filter'Trons - which are more to my liking than TV Jones based on the sound I'm looking for.
    The Rule is perfect: In all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane (Twain)

....oh Lordy!!! man...that's one of my dream guitars right there..I think it will be hard to go vintage, so I think I will try to get a Gretsch Custom Shop master built 56 duo jet at some point

..my dilemma with a jet will be Dynasonics or Filtertrons..I'm leaning Dynasonics in a Jet, either the Seymour Duncans or TV Jones TArmons, what do you guys think?
    Unlike Gibson Guitars, on Gretsches there’s not a big difference on price between vintage and custom shop marerbuilts. It’s up to you if you prefer old or new. I like old, but that doesn’t mean it’s the path everyone should prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Root66 View Post
    It has HS Filter'Trons - which are more to my liking than TV Jones based on the sound I'm looking for.
    fair enough I can dig it, I went to Setzer Signatures cause I needed more chime and twang, but the HS Filters are very cool pickups too

Unlike Gibson Guitars, on Gretsches thereís not a big difference on price between vintage and custom shop marerbuilts. Itís up to you if you prefer old or new. I like old, but that doesnít mean itís the path everyone should prefer.
    I'll have to keep my eye out on some vintage specimens..I had read that vintage Gretsch binding can rot and pulverize, any thoughts on that?

Somehow I missed this post! What a cool Gretsch! I know nothing of this model..a Power Tennessean? Can you please tell us more about it? Body size and depth, pickups, bracing, center block?
    Check it out here:
    http://gretschpages.com/guitars/mode...v-power-tenny/

"...this thing is a destroyer of planets, a tonal doom-bringer, a wooden warrior from another dimension." Frutiger

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

I have a couple that I use regularly.

A 1969 DuoJet, just like Joe Walsh had (can't find a photo).

And this - a 1967 Nashville 6120.

Otherwise known as Grant.

Les Paul Forum Member Steve Rose's Avatar

2013 6128 Duo Jet - Stern Masterbuilt
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Steve Rose
    Instagram: @steve_rose
    Facebook: @estebanrose

That Stern Jet is very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by latestarter View Post
    I have a couple that I use regularly.

A 1969 DuoJet, just like Joe Walsh had (can't find a photo).

And this - a 1967 Nashville 6120.

ultra cool...I've never had a double cutaway Gretsch, how do they balance, any neck dive?

I know this isn't the same, but I've held off getting a Penguin cause with the double cutaway and that big headstock I'm afraid of neck dive, which I can't stand

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rose View Post
    2013 6128 Duo Jet - Stern Masterbuilt
    [IMG][/IMG]

Holy Smokes of the Baby Buddha! I way dig it!

TV Jones Classics? Neck size? Weight?

fair enough I can dig it, I went to Setzer Signatures cause I needed more chime and twang, but the HS Filters are very cool pickups too
    I would like another Gretsch with TV Jones as I like his pickups, but I've never heard more twang and chime than my double cut Chet which had the HS Filtertrons. I think certain runs of HS Filters were more chimey than others. And I always thought what gave my guitars the twang were the bridges (tru-arc titanium). I have that same bridge on my Duo-Jet and it sounds almost identical to my old Chet, but the newer Anniversary has the stock bridge and it's a bit darker than both of those guitars (in a good way). The Anniversary feeds back in the most musical way you can imagine! I play it through a Fender Reverb unit into a TopHat Club Royale and it is a glorius sound. And lately I've been playing it through my recently restored 1961 Ampeg Mercury (refurbed by forum member Professor Twang), another killer sound. Yesterday I dropped my Anni over to Professor Twangs house to loan it to him as he wants to check out Gretschs. We played it through some cool amps yesterday and it really sounded great through his vintage Supro 1696T (altec 417H speaker) vintage Fender Reverb unit, along with his 6V6 Early 60's Reverbrocket!

And here's some other rigs I use with my Gretsch

Last edited by rockabilly69; 04-19-18 at 01:43 PM.

I'll have to keep my eye out on some vintage specimens..I had read that vintage Gretsch binding can rot and pulverize, any thoughts on that?
    Some Gretsches have binding problems, but not all of them. You just have to check the guitar out before buying or you just ask for pics of the binding.

With old Gretsches you just realize that their build quality was lower than on Gibsons. But still, great guitars that sound incredible for a very good price. If you consider that Duo Jets were competing directly with Black Beauties in the 50s, nowadays BB are 4 times more expensive.

Right on the money slimdave - and somehow I like that kinda almost agricultural build quality on some of the Gretsch I've owned. My DuoJet has a crooked neck pickup...yep, came that way from the factory. And my 6120 logo is kinda wonky too. All part of it.

Binding replacement can be done but it's a biatch!

I would like another Gretsch with TV Jones as I like his pickups, but I've never heard more twang and chime than my double cut Chet which had the HS Filtertrons. I think certain runs of HS Filters were more chimey than others. And I always thought what gave my guitars the twang were the bridges (tru-arc titanium). I have that same bridge on my Duo-Jet and it sounds almost identical to my old Chet, but the newer Anniversary has the stock bridge and it's a bit darker than both of those guitars (in a good way). The Anniversary feeds back in the most musical way you can imagine! I play it through a Fender Reverb unit into a TopHat Club Royale and it is a glorius sound. And lately I've been playing it through my recently restored 1961 Ampeg Mercury (refurbed by forum member Professor Twang), another killer sound. Yesterday I dropped my Anni over to Professor Twangs house to loan it to him as he wants to check out Gretschs. We played it through some cool amps yesterday and it really sounded great through his vintage Supro 1696T (altec 417H speaker) vintage Fender Reverb unit, along with his 6V6 Early 60's Reverbrocket!

And here's some other rigs I use with my Gretsch

Wow dream rigs! Thanks for sharing! To me there is nothing like "That Great Gretsch Sound" through a killer tube amp on the edge of breakup in my opinion.

Right now I'm playing through a Vintage Sound 22 and 15 (Deluxe Reverb and Princeton (with 12" speaker) clones, respectively), a Goodsell Super 17, and a UK made Orange AD15, from the early 2000's (discontinued). Lately I've been running a two amp set up with the AD15 and Super17, which makes for a superb and massive clean on the edge of break up sound that I really dig.

I hear what you are saying about the twang. Maybe in my bigger Falcon, with the stock brass bridge the HS Filters where a bit darker sounding. I didn't know that certain runs of HS Filters where brighter than others! Maybe I had a darker sounding set as well.

I thought about getting another bridge material to brighten up the sound before going with the Setzer Signature pickups, but I ended up just getting those pickups, and putting an ABM2400 bridge (the new model) on there that I had, and those changes took me exactly where I wanted to go so mission accomplished.

I'm definitely wanting to get more Gretsches though, especially after seeing y'all's beautiful specimens!

Since I unfortunately don't have anymore Gretsches to show here are two more pics of my Falcon. As it originally came, and then another one after the mods.

Some Gretsches have binding problems, but not all of them. You just have to check the guitar out before buying or you just ask for pics of the binding.

With old Gretsches you just realize that their build quality was lower than on Gibsons. But still, great guitars that sound incredible for a very good price. If you consider that Duo Jets were competing directly with Black Beauties in the 50s, nowadays BB are 4 times more expensive.
    Got it. So if it is in good shape it should stay in relatively good shape for some time to come?

I did read that the old 50's Gretsches could have a "relaxed" build quality, let's say. But man, to me they have the most beautiful guitar designs and aesthetics around. Ironically nowadays a Japanese made Gretsch is close to flawless and Gibson's quality control is at times shocking! My Falcon really is absolutely flawless.
    I really dig Black Beauties too by the way, and in addition to my R4 goldtop and R7 ebony, a BB would be the other Les Paul that I really want to have one day.

Quote Originally Posted by latestarter View Post
    Right on the money slimdave - and somehow I like that kinda almost agricultural build quality on some of the Gretsch I've owned. My DuoJet has a crooked neck pickup...yep, came that way from the factory. And my 6120 logo is kinda wonky too. All part of it.

Binding replacement can be done but it's a biatch!
    agricultural build quality, LOL! agricultural on the inside, and painted up like beauty queens on the outside