• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Opinions on my 61 Reissue SG

S. Cane

So, I would like to hear what you think about something that kinda annoys me.

I buy my guitars the old way, I need a particular guitar, like a strat or a les paul, I go to the music shop and see what's available. That's how I bought my Am Std Stratocaster. I was as the shop, the guitar was there, I played it, loved it and paid for it. I still got it and am as happy as can be, gigging with it all the time.

Same happened when I wanted a guitar with humbuckers. There was this Gibson 1961 Reissue SG in faded worn brown. I always liked the look of a faded cherry/natural/brownish SG, and the guitar was definitely a player. I loved the sound of those classic 57s on it, so I ordered one (the one on display had a flaw).

Here it is:

2enys2f.jpg

So, I gig with this guitar all the time, it sounds killer. I know it ain't a VOS guitar. And it's all right, I don't mind the stopbar, the Nashville bridge and the single ring tuners.

Now, what makes me love and hate it on occasion is the finish. The feel of the naked wood really breaks my deal when I pay attention to it.

Sometimes I look at it and love it, and some other times I just can't consider it the "real deal" SG. It's kind ahard to describe but it's like that. I mean, it's meant to be a "played in" like finish, but as a matter of fact regular finished Gibsons don't age like that, the finish crackles and shrinks, you don't really gat that "naked wood" feel that the faded worn finish provides.

I know people stripped guitars all the time back in the day and naked mahogany guitars were around even among artists, and all, but still...

What do you guys think of faded "worn" finishes on Gibsons like this SG?

P.S. I know I'll get replies like "if you don't like it spray it or sell it" but my point in this thread is to know how YOU guys feel about this.

Progrocker111

Not my preference too, i doesnt like the look and even feel of it...

As i see, they really have changed this model significantly during last years. I have had an early 2000 one, still with ABR, nice nitro finish and much darker fretboard. :hmm

Bob Womack

I've had some of those faded finish guitars and it is enough to say that in the end I never bonded with them. It's one thing to have a smooth satin finish and another thing entirely to leave off the pore filler and have a grain that you can see and feel. That was the killer for me and that's part of Gibson's faded finish. I've ditched the faded ones and ended up with a Dave's Guitar Shop Gibson SG Standard '61 Reissue Limited Edition.

sgincasesm.jpg

I'm very happy with it and it cost about the same as a Standard.

Bob

S. Cane

Thanks for the replies, and keep them coming.

I will probably get myself another Gibson indeed, but I don't think I'll part with this one, at least anytime soon, 'cause it's a great gigging guitar.

jojo68

I love em. I have a faded V and used to have a LP vintage mahogany. Always wanted the faded 61 RI. I have a 08 61 RI and even after years of gigs and playing the neck is still sticky . The nitro is starting to wear off where my forearm hits the guitar. I've just grown to hate the thick coat of nitro.

Red Rogue

Those worn finishes are Gibsons way to reduce costs. So they are more affordable for the consumer. Maybe it was also Gibsons attempt to sell more instruments and get people bond with the brand. They start with the "Worn" model and will upgrade to the next level, like you said the term "real deal".
In my imagination, a Gibson has a gloss finish or maybe the VOS treatment.

zacknorton

Hmmmm...

my opinion: if this is a “problem” for you, then you don’t have any problems.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Google faded finishes and how to buff them to a sheen. Some just buff, others clearcoat them, then buff.

You get to keep the guitar you love, but it's now glossy (or whatever level of sheen you like).

Don

That guitar looks great and you seem to enjoy it. I'd keep on doing that.

I don't care for a finish like this on a Les Paul or a Strat, but think it looks nice on an SG, LP Jr or even a Tele.