• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How to stop others from using my tube amp!!

kaputme

Hey Guys,

Howz it going? Hope you all are dong well.

I have a Jet city JCA20Hv, and its my current practice room amp. i carry it back and forth from home to practice room every time i go to practice. I want to leave the amp in the room ( at home i have other amps). The room is used by other bands on other days. I want to some how prevent others from using my amp so that they don't blow it up. Since it will be the only tube amp there, everyone will be enticed to us the amp, and since its not their own, may not pay much attention to the well being of my amp.

Any Suggestions?

Regards
SM

F-Hole

If it's the only tube amp there, just remove the tubes and place somewhere safe, or carry them with you. Also, put a sticker on the amp saying "broken and electonically unsafe".

toxpert

Just about every hardware store sells plug lockouts. These are user-lockable electrical covers that you install on the plug end of electrical cords. These are typically used to keep a device from being plugged in...or in your case, the device from being used.

Here’s a link to just one of many styles at Home Depit
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Lock-Plug-Lockout-MLKS2005/206322530?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CVF%7CG%7C0%7CG-VF-PLA%7C&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIptHkrpT42QIV0bjACh0fNQ4_EAQYAyABEgI27fD_BwE&dclid=CI3vpLyU-NkCFYVRAQodrpMC0Q

Note...leaving your amp at the practice site...but locked out sends a message to others that could be interpreted in many ways.:dang

kaputme

Just about every hardware store sells plug lockouts. These are user-lockable electrical covers that you install on the plug end of electrical cords. These are typically used to keep a device from being plugged in...or in your case, the device from being used.

Here’s a link to just one of many styles at Home Depit
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-...BEgI27fD_BwE&dclid=CI3vpLyU-NkCFYVRAQodrpMC0Q

Note...leaving your amp at the practice site...but locked out sends a message to others that could be interpreted in many ways.:dang

Thanks for your reply..
Well the problem with this is that they will just get another power chord and use that.

kaputme

If it's the only tube amp there, just remove the tubes and place somewhere safe, or carry them with you. Also, put a sticker on the amp saying "broken and electonically unsafe".

Thanks, may be i try the sticker trick..

and the Tube trick if the above doesnot work

fakejake

Yup! It clearly says: put your food, beers and ashtrays on HERE (and its also cool if you dont have an ashtray) :hee

renderit

Don't leave it there? I mean really. Who is NOT going to want to play your amp? And if you leave it expect it to disappear.

MikeSlub

Administrator
I agree with other opinions - just take the amp home. That is the only way it is really safe from abuse. :hank

chasenblues

I have a Jet city JCA20Hv, and its my current practice room amp.
I want to leave the amp in the room.
The room is used by other bands on other days.

Start saving for another amp.

1429551735_rabbit_steals_cookie_from_baby.gif

kaputme

thanks guys..

i think i'll take it home and leave an old cabinet there. Will soon have arms like John Petrucci by carrying my 9kg amp in one hand and an 9kg (guitar+case) in the other... But i doubt it'll make me a better player :laugh2:

Elmore

I agree with other opinions - just take the amp home. That is the only way it is really safe from abuse. :hank

MikeSlub is right. This is the only way. Also, some weightlifting exercise will make it easier to carry. I know it is a hassle, but an amp broken by an unknown third party is worse. My Twin Reverb came with a hernia belt.

sonar

You share a space with others you don't know, or know but don't trust?

Do other guys leave their gear in the room?

Triburst

Borrow a Fender Mid-70's Twin Reverb from a friend, and bring it to the venue two weeks in a row.

Now, you'll think that Jet City amp is light, and have no problem going back and forth with it.:peace2

Seriously, if you have a long walk to a parking place, etc. buy yourself a good, foldable equipment cart. You'll be glad you did when you're 60.

Wally

Don't leave it there? I mean really. Who is NOT going to want to play your amp? And if you leave it expect it to disappear.

+1.....the amp is small...carry it with you when you go. I have visions of the amp sitting there. someone tries to use it...bah no tubes.....useless piece of #%&$......and a kick to the grille. OR...locked AC cord...Bah.....broken tubes....
Ime, expecting others to respect you and yours is a needless and disappointing exercise unless they are very well-known good friends. I know about 3 people to whom I would loan an amp. Everyone else can get their own. I figure that everyone who shares that rehearsal space has decided that they cannot trust others with their good gear...or if they don't have good gear they should not be trusted with your good gear.

Elmore

I like the hand truck idea. Keep a good hand truck in the trunk of your car. But you cannot leave your amp in an insecure location and expect everything to be OK. One of life's rules.

TM1

A couple ideas if you're still wantinto keep it there: remove the fuse cap and fuse. Carry it in your guitar case.I have a locking steel cable. I use to use it at a theater in one of the bands I was in. We'd usually do a run of shows a month at a time. I ran the cable through the handle to a pipe or electrical conduit. There had been theft issues at that theater (was on Wlishire Blvd near downtown L.A.). Nobody ever messed with it but they stole the mixing console the first time we were there...
Anyway, fuse/fuse cap and locking cable. I had to leave my amps there as it would take too long every time we had a show to setup. The cable was nearly indestructable as it was 3/8" steel cable enclosed in a nylon/teflon jacket.

Texas Blues

Hey Guys,

Howz it going? Hope you all are dong well.

I have a Jet city JCA20Hv, and its my current practice room amp. i carry it back and forth from home to practice room every time i go to practice. I want to leave the amp in the room ( at home i have other amps). The room is used by other bands on other days. I want to some how prevent others from using my amp so that they don't blow it up. Since it will be the only tube amp there, everyone will be enticed to us the amp, and since its not their own, may not pay much attention to the well being of my amp.

Any Suggestions?

Regards
SM

So you're leaving your personal equipment open to the mercy of strangers.

Why not open your garage door and leave your car and house keys laying in the drive way?