• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2014 Les Paul Supreme Florentine Goldtop

Electricmonk

Hi all, need some help here...
Just acquired a 2014 Les Paul Supreme Florentine with a Goldtop finish. All appears original, but there is some odd stuff going on. The serial number is 105540300, which would indicate very early in 2014 (before the numbering change). Interestingly, the photo on the Gibson site for the 2014 Supreme (which they only list as available in Caribbean Blue) is 105540303. The page is still up so you can look up. The Supremes came only with 490R/498T pickups, but mine has a 57 classic in the neck and a super 57 in the bridge. Markings show a matched pair - neck is 860-31682-L with a date of 1/23/14 and the bridge is 860-31683-L with a date of 11/27/13. These are the right dates for an early 2014 guitar. The only thing is I can't find any reference to a goldtop finish in the Supremes anywhere. I am wondering if this is a very early "practice" run or even prototype of some sort. Any help would be appreciated. I have also sent a note to service@gibson.com, but have had no response...

As for pics, I don't have photobucket - is there any other way to post pics? LP Sup Gld Fr 1 sm.jpg

Big Al

One small photo makes it difficult to tell. I am unaware of Goldtop or Florentine cutaway Supremes. My thoughts are this, that Goldtop/Florentine/Bigsby combo has been used, although along ES 295 style inlay and picguard. The black pickup rings and split block inlay are at odds with this and make it appear to be poorly realised. If it were just a goldtop Supreme there is no need for a florentine cut.

Is the back carved flame maple?

I don't believe it to be a prototype.

It is a non standard model that may be a one off or one of a small FSR.

More knowledgeable peeps will add the info, I'm sure.

ajay taylor

2014's all start with 14 in the serial number instead of having a 4 in the 5th position. That is unless its a Custom Shop guitar. The Serial starts with 14, and the end numbers spell out the number of the guitar made that year in sequential order.
As I stated, I don't know how the Custom Shop comes up with their Serial Number.

I stand corrected. Custom Shop Models do have the 4 in the 5th position of the Serial Number.

Electricmonk

The change in serial number approach was later in 2014. 2014 started with the old 1st and 5th approach, which this is. Only later in 2014 did Gibson move to the first two digit approach. Yes, the back is goldtop flamed maple as well. Like I said, this really appears to be a genuine Gibson LP Supreme (I have more folks checking on this), but a non-production model....

Big Al

The change in serial number approach was later in 2014. 2014 started with the old 1st and 5th approach, which this is. Only later in 2014 did Gibson move to the first two digit approach. Yes, the back is goldtop flamed maple as well. Like I said, this really appears to be a genuine Gibson LP Supreme (I have more folks checking on this), but a non-production model....

I'm not quite understanding the back. Carved good, but goldtop flame maple eludes me. Is the back gold or walnut stained flame maple?

The carved back means too me that the cutaway is the only deviation from the Supreme build spec. If it was only a finish request, with or without a Bigsby, I'd assume there would be no reason for a chaged cutaway.

As I posted Gibson made Goldtop Standards with Bigsby, parallelogram inlay on rosewood fingerboard and a florentine cutaway as well as the gold flower stencil ES type cream pickguard. Like a 1959 ES295.

Your guitar is like a kinda sorta incomplete 295 version. THIS IS ALL SPECULATION BY ME. I don't know, this is my guess, only, and why. I didn't mean it wasn't a Gibson or a Supreme, just my thoughts on model.

It can't be just a finish option because of the cutaway. The fingerboard and inlay along with black trim make it appear unlike the ES295, so why the cutaway?
That is what I find odd for a production model.

So model is a mystery other than Supreme ? But one off customer builds and dealer special FSR means al bets are off.

Scott L

for the lazy ones like me.... Don't really know what it is, but think is cool looking

cg6Ff10.jpg

cShllEe.jpg

fszMag7.jpg

aYuT9Gn.jpg

AA00475Bassman

Its Very cool guitar love the carved GOLD back ! Flame, Walnut back ? Really doesn't matter what model some one thinks it should be , really like to thank you for sharing photos of your high vibe guitar ,Thank You !

Electricmonk

Thanks to all for responses so far... I had not posted a headstock shot - the headstock is the Supreme. Also, the 2014 Supreme did have the Florentine cutaway, so that is also production correct. Still don't know what I have, but I will update this thread with any information I do come by. Thanks again!

Electricmonk

I sort of forgot about this thread - if any of you still watch this one I did get in touch with Gibson. They agreed it is a non-production model, and authentic. They think an employee build. It was on the frame of the 2014 Caribbean Blue Florentine and was in front of that run. All I know is that I love it and it is one of my coolest guitars! Thanks!

metropolis

That's great to find out that you own something so unique and good looking.

Nice Lonestar too!