The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Gibson Non-Rev. Firebird Custom Shop factory routing (circa 2007) minihum/p90

I was looking at a used Custom Shop (mid 2000s) Non Reverse Firebird with 3 mini-hums at a really good price. I was wondering if anyone would know if Gibson routed both the p90 and mini-hum version of this guitar the same, making a swap to 2 p90s just a pickguard change away. If yes, who would make a 2-p90 pickguard for this model that would fit?

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

Re: Gibson Non-Rev. Firebird Custom Shop factory routing (circa 2007) minihum/p90

It wouldn't take much to route it if they weren't. These are great guitars - I had the 3 pickup mini version and it was excellent - HUGE neck.

MojoAxe would be the first place I would ask re guard.
    Otherwise known as Grant.

Re: Gibson Non-Rev. Firebird Custom Shop factory routing (circa 2007) minihum/p90

Thanks... someone told me the mini-humbucker model routes look like this underneath the guard. From the picture can you tell if these are the same as p90 routes?

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

I don't know for sure, but I'd have bets on it being the same.
    Otherwise known as Grant.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRTONEMAN View Post
    I was looking at a used Custom Shop (mid 2000s) Non Reverse Firebird with 3 mini-hums at a really good price. I was wondering if anyone would know if Gibson routed both the p90 and mini-hum version of this guitar the same, making a swap to 2 p90s just a pickguard change away. If yes, who would make a 2-p90 pickguard for this model that would fit?

I have that exact 3 p90 bird in my studio - fantastic

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

Love these non Rev , had a very nice P90 66-68 not sure of the year , traded the guitar + cash for a new 76 Explorer .
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

I would:

1. buy the guitar.

2. if the FB minis are not to your liking, get someone to wind FB mini replacements to your spec. The differences between sweet minis and sweet P-90's are very small, tonewise, IMHO. If you don't like the middle pickup being there, you can lower it waaayyyy down to get it out of the way.

**** the p/g and pickup change you hope to do is almost certainly doable.

That's what I would do. I am on the hunt for one of these guitars, too. Mini or P-90 wouldn't make a difference to me, though I am leaning towards minis as a preference.

I have a 2002 CS NR FB (with full size 'buckers) and it is a monster of a guitar. I love it.

hmmm, I've had a much different experience with mini hb's, firebird pu's and p90's.

i don't think they are similar to each other in much other than size.

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

A P90 & a p90 are not close in sound . IMO
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !