• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Non-Rev. Firebird Custom Shop factory routing (circa 2007) minihum/p90

MRTONEMAN

I was looking at a used Custom Shop (mid 2000s) Non Reverse Firebird with 3 mini-hums at a really good price. I was wondering if anyone would know if Gibson routed both the p90 and mini-hum version of this guitar the same, making a swap to 2 p90s just a pickguard change away. If yes, who would make a 2-p90 pickguard for this model that would fit?

vuemil42dviw17quz8sw.jpg

gibson-cs-non-reverse-firebird-tv-white-2003-cons-top-1.jpg

latestarter

It wouldn't take much to route it if they weren't. These are great guitars - I had the 3 pickup mini version and it was excellent - HUGE neck.

MojoAxe would be the first place I would ask re guard.

MRTONEMAN

Thanks... someone told me the mini-humbucker model routes look like this underneath the guard. From the picture can you tell if these are the same as p90 routes?

fb_route.jpg

Pip

I was looking at a used Custom Shop (mid 2000s) Non Reverse Firebird with 3 mini-hums at a really good price. I was wondering if anyone would know if Gibson routed both the p90 and mini-hum version of this guitar the same, making a swap to 2 p90s just a pickguard change away. If yes, who would make a 2-p90 pickguard for this model that would fit?

vuemil42dviw17quz8sw.jpg

gibson-cs-non-reverse-firebird-tv-white-2003-cons-top-1.jpg
I have that exact 3 p90 bird in my studio - fantastic

AA00475Bassman

Love these non Rev , had a very nice P90 66-68 not sure of the year , traded the guitar + cash for a new 76 Explorer .

mdubya

I would:

1. buy the guitar.

2. if the FB minis are not to your liking, get someone to wind FB mini replacements to your spec. The differences between sweet minis and sweet P-90's are very small, tonewise, IMHO. If you don't like the middle pickup being there, you can lower it waaayyyy down to get it out of the way.

**** the p/g and pickup change you hope to do is almost certainly doable.

That's what I would do. I am on the hunt for one of these guitars, too. Mini or P-90 wouldn't make a difference to me, though I am leaning towards minis as a preference.

I have a 2002 CS NR FB (with full size 'buckers) and it is a monster of a guitar. I love it.

zacknorton

hmmm, I've had a much different experience with mini hb's, firebird pu's and p90's.

i don't think they are similar to each other in much other than size.