The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member

The cat took a piss on my amp.

Right onto the grill cloth of my 1961 J12 jet. Anybody else ever have this issue, if so what did you clean it with?

Les Paul Forum Member Lardvader's Avatar

Re: The cat took a piss on my amp.

Cat blood.

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

I don't think that the grills in that era are actually cloth. I think they're a plastic material. If so you can pull the baffle, spray some water on it, then spray some Simple Green onto it and scrub it with a scrubrush and rinse it off. Let it dry in the sun and put it back in. BTW, remove the speaker first after you get the grill off.

Remove the speaker from the baffle...if baffle can be removed from cab, do so.
    Use Tuff Stuff spray foaming cleanser and quickly rinse.. avoiding wetting the baffle board.
    An amp restorer that built my custom cabs and does my restoration work uses this stuff for cleaning tolex and grills.

Be gentle...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tuff-Stuf...22-oz/16817397

Maybe your neighbors would like cat tacos.

Les Paul Forum Member

Im not sure what material the grill is, definitely feels like cloth. The simple green seems to have worked. I wasn’t able to get the speaker out...the screws have some kind of weird shape to them...like you need a special bit to remove it.

I post from my TV using the remote. When I heal up a bit and can access my computer I will tell the true tale of Tai the cat. You might get a laugh.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Lardvader View Post
    Cat blood.

The semester I was taking surgery courses...my girlfriend’s male kitty sprayed my framed picture on her desk. The next practice procedure we scheduled was a bilateral orchiectomy...the patient being Mr Kitty.
    No more problems with that kitty.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyCO View Post
    Im not sure what material the grill is, definitely feels like cloth. The simple green seems to have worked. I wasn’t able to get the speaker out...the screws have some kind of weird shape to them...like you need a special bit to remove it.
    Clutch head screws? The slot is kinda shaped like a bow-tie? You can get them out with a screw driver but the bit is available. These screws were widely used in the automotive, RV and other industries way back when. Ampeg used them a little later than anyone else.

Les Paul Forum Member gibson-r8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I post from my TV using the remote. When I heal up a bit and can access my computer I will tell the true tale of Tai the cat. You might get a laugh.

I love Big AL stories.

78 Les Paul Recording

Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar

I've had a few amps where cat piss would have been an improving addition.
    Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

After all these years I'm still surprised the cat urinating on amp thing is not an uncommon phenomenon. I've never had a cat, so forgive the ignorance.

No kitty using guitar neck as a scratch post stories?

Les Paul Forum Member Bob Womack's Avatar

In '77 I bought my '74 Kalamazoo Small Script Standard. I'd chased a Les Paul for three years, saving every penny. When I finally convinced a dealer to sell it to me, I was still $50 short of the price he asked so, while he had mercy on me, he sold it to me on the condition that he supplied it in a Univox/Ibanez case. Six months later I left the case open while playing the guitar and my cat marked in the case. Uh-oh.

Back then there was no Internet, no simple green, and no-one had a clue what to do. I took a gentle dish soap and a cloth and alternately soaked the lining and padding in the area with the solution, blotted it up, soaked the area with water, blotted it up, and either let it dry and/or dried it with a hair dryer. I did this over and over and left the case open for days to air out. Eventually I could no longer smell the mark. I let it air out a few days more and then put it back in service.

A few years ago I bought a nearly immaculate, period-correct Gibson hard shell case for the guitar to celebrate its many years of service to me. The guitar still lives in its Univox case because it is far sturdier than the Gibson case. That was something I remembered from the period when both my college roommate and I (also band mates) had period Les Pauls.

I'm on the left. Both of us are named Bob... People called it the Bob and Bob show.

Bob
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

My little site:
    THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

Les Paul Forum Member

Yes the screws are bow tie shaped, I’ll try and find a bit. I do not want to mess up the screw heads...the amp belonged to my great grandfather. The cat is going for surgery tomorrow morning.

Check out Natures Miracle Urine Destroyer available at any pet store. Reduces the chance of the cat doing an encore.

Les Paul Forum Member

Try Dawn Power Clean .

Les Paul Forum Member

Thank you for posting that story, cool photo! Cat had the surgery so hopefully no repeats. Amp smells okay now....thank you all for your advice!

Les Paul Forum Member

And just out of curiosity....what did a les Paul cost back then?

Les Paul Forum Member glenngross's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi burst View Post
    Check out Natures Miracle Urine Destroyer available at any pet store. Reduces the chance of the cat doing an encore.
    I used this for a few months on a carpet. I eventually had to replace the carpet, padding, and the wood underneath had to be treated as well. Cat urine is notoriously hard to get rid of. I’d replace the grill.

Something old-timers have done for years down here for "sprayed" furniture may work. Give the grill a good cleaning, and put it out in full sun for a day.

Les Paul Forum Member

Um, surgery? You had the vet ram a cork up his...
    what the hell kind of revenge procedure did you subject one of gods creatures too?

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jhmp View Post
    Um, surgery? You had the vet ram a cork up his...
    what the hell kind of revenge procedure did you subject one of gods creatures too?
    He had a nut that never dropped. So when he was neutered a few years back the vet said he only had one nut. Well, turns out, the vet was wrong and the other one was in his abdomen. So all of a sudden within the last couple of months he started spraying, humping slippers and all sorts of odd behavior. Took him back to the vet and that’s when the vet said he has one stuck in his abdomen. So they dug that out....he’s recovering just fine. Just hope the behavior stops.

Les Paul Forum Member

Lets just hope he's not of the 3 ball variety...

Don't be surprised if the behavior continues ...we have four cats ( two males, two females ) ..all fixed but one male still occasionally sprays ..I have all my gear stored where no felines can mark or scratch

Les Paul Forum Member Texas Blues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
    In '77 I bought my '74 Kalamazoo Small Script Standard. I'd chased a Les Paul for three years, saving every penny. When I finally convinced a dealer to sell it to me, I was still $50 short of the price he asked so, while he had mercy on me, he sold it to me on the condition that he supplied it in a Univox/Ibanez case. Six months later I left the case open while playing the guitar and my cat marked in the case. Uh-oh.

Back then there was no Internet, no simple green, and no-one had a clue what to do. I took a gentle dish soap and a cloth and alternately soaked the lining and padding in the area with the solution, blotted it up, soaked the area with water, blotted it up, and either let it dry and/or dried it with a hair dryer. I did this over and over and left the case open for days to air out. Eventually I could no longer smell the mark. I let it air out a few days more and then put it back in service.

A few years ago I bought a nearly immaculate, period-correct Gibson hard shell case for the guitar to celebrate its many years of service to me. The guitar still lives in its Univox case because it is far sturdier than the Gibson case. That was something I remembered from the period when both my college roommate and I (also band mates) had period Les Pauls.

I'm on the left. Both of us are named Bob... People called it the Bob and Bob show.

Bob
    What a great story.

Real people.

Real musicians.

And got dang cats.

When I was a fishing guide in Alaska I had a cabin at the lodge.

I kept all my shit there.

Like an extra sleeping bag.

The lodge had a resident cat.

A professional mouse and bat killer.

He hung out in my cabin and there was a trap door that allowed him access to and from.

One night at 2 oh dark thirty Kofacks the 13 pound calico monster cat decided to jump on my chest and stick his ass in my face while soaking wet.

He regretted doing that.

Later I had to go to out camp and live in a tent on the river for a few weeks.

When I came back.

I discovered that Kofacks had taken a dump inside my sleeping bag.

I found it just before sliding in for the night.

That son of a bitch!!!

No wonder dogs hate them too!

Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Blues View Post
    What a great story.

Real people.

Real musicians.

And got dang cats.

When I was a fishing guide in Alaska I had a cabin at the lodge.

I kept all my shit there.

Like an extra sleeping bag.

The lodge had a resident cat.

A professional mouse and bat killer.

He hung out in my cabin and there was a trap door that allowed him access to and from.

One night at 2 oh dark thirty Kofacks the 13 pound calico monster cat decided to jump on my chest and stick his ass in my face while soaking wet.

He regretted doing that.

Later I had to go to out camp and live in a tent on the river for a few weeks.

When I came back.

I discovered that Kofacks had taken a dump inside my sleeping bag.

I found it just before sliding in for the night.

That son of a bitch!!!

No wonder dogs hate them too!
    Even cats have seen the Godfather...what's that line about revenge....??

That's why I love 'em..they never let anything go.
    Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

Les Paul Forum Member jbzoso2002's Avatar

Im allergic to cats so none here.

If I had a cat and he pissed on my amp there would be 1
    less cat in the world.

Im not opposed to cat death.

Jimmy

EDIT: I would not kill any animal, that was a joke, but it would
    be banished from my home.
    Last edited by jbzoso2002; 03-28-18 at 09:01 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member

[QUOTE=TM1;2793084]I don't think that the grills in that era are actually cloth. I think they're a plastic material. If so you can pull the baffle, spray some water on it, then spray some Simple Green onto it and scrub it with a scrubrush and rinse it off. Let it dry in the sun and put it back in. BTW, remove the speaker first after you get the grill off.[/QUOTE

yes simple green..and 3 shots of vodka.
    drying the grillcloth in the sun works great, i used to hold them up in the back of my brothers pickup on a hot day while he drove 60mph. i wanted even drying.

A cat will never tell the police where your drugs are hidden.

Les Paul Forum Member musekatcher's Avatar

Maybe kitty thinks its time to trade?

This is the stuff. It's odorless and won't harm 99% of fabric varieties - I'd trust it on any amp cloth/tolex. Just spray it on with one or two pulls of the trigger. That's all it takes.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_4mm90vfps7_e

Les Paul Forum Member gibson-r8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post

How about that story Big AL ?

78 Les Paul Recording

Quote Originally Posted by Lardvader View Post
    Cat blood.
    LOL!

I am sorry for the OP's mishap...I wish I had something to offer. I googled removing cat urine odor but stated remedies require stuff that may or may not damage your grill cloth/amp...I hope none got on the speaker. Best of luck!

Thank you for giving me yet one more reason not to ever have an indoor cat.

OMG why I just read it? It is so disgusting that everytime when I will see my amp I will think that my cat also took a piss on it. The thing is I’m really queasy and when I see or smell something not so pleasant I keep thinking about it all the time. I remember my cat when she was small was peeing all the house including my Persian carpets and sofas. Until in one day I bought for her an enormous litter box from thepethandbook.com. Personally, I never clean it because it smells disgusting, but I can still feel the smell of pee in the whole house.
    Last edited by herpawearo; 05-11-20 at 01:24 AM.

Why would you keep your amp outside ?
    ... Southern, by the grace of God.