• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

We are the '80s! (First Fender Reissues)

samsdad

Wow, did those have a nitro finish? The wear looks almost like on a 60ies Strat.
Thats A Beautiful 83 Reissue
I have the same guitar and its my favorite an 83 1962 reissue sunburst
Mine goes another step below yours in wear
it was run over by a car in the 80's and i reassembled it
It was left for dead I put it back together slowly as a project
And it is a great player and sounds Fantastic
I like the Small neck after 30 years of playing it
Now with arthritis in my left hand the smaller neck is great for me
its the only guitar i own owes me nothing and is a good ole friend

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
I love these guitars, they have a nice, thin Nitro finish. This is my 1986 '62 AVRI. It has a two piece body and plays great. I really like the thin necks these have and even though I'm 6' 3" I find them very easy to play. My first good electric guitar was a 1987 '62 AVRI in Fiesta Red that I bought new and still own. It is so much better than the Bullet truss rod Stratocaster that it replaced. I just bought a 1985 '57 AVRI that I'm fixing up right now. The pickups in these guitars sound very good. The arm contour is very distinctive and IMHO, just right. I know pro players like Sonny Landreth like these 80's AVRI Stratocasters for touring guitars. They are one of the best deals in a vintage, collectible Fender. Absolutely top notch guitars.

3AE819B2-B810-4E8B-A9D3-D0E6BD742396_zpsuibxttqo.jpg

deytookerjaabs

Bought my January 1983 '62 Reissue at the 1994 Arlington guitar show. It only had a tiny bit of wear on the upper bought when I got it. It quickly became my main guitar and I toured heavily with it for the next 8 years. Really pretty much all I played. I need to see if I can dig up a "before" pic. As you know, they made the neck pretty skinny on these. It's kinda hard for me to play these days, but I would probably get used to it again I guess. Here's it is today:
01.jpg

03.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

10.jpg

Good Gawd.....:XRE

If it ain't vintage....easy peasy..make it vintage the old fashioned way!

Don

Unfortunately, I didn't keep my mid '80s AVRI '57 Strat long enough to see it age. I don't recall what year it was made. I bought it "new" in 1986 but it had hung on the shop's wall for a long time. I never got along with the small frets on a glossy fretboard. I replaced it with the new Strat Plus that's in the pic. I bought that guitar in late '88. The Mustang was a '66 and the Tele was a Squier that I bought new in '85. This pic was taken in early '89. I don't have any of these guitars now.

ScannedImage-6.jpg

sonar

Unfortunately, I didn't keep my mid '80s AVRI '57 Strat long enough to see it age. I don't recall what year it was made. I bought it "new" in 1986 but it had hung on the shop's wall for a long time. I never got along with the small frets on a glossy fretboard. I replaced it with the new Strat Plus that's in the pic. I bought that guitar in late '88. The Mustang was a '66 and the Tele was a Squier that I bought new in '85. This pic was taken in early '89. I don't have any of these guitars now.

ScannedImage-6.jpg

At least you had the foresight to take pictures.

I've owned a bunch of Strats over the years, but didn't get an AVRI until later in the game, late '99. All around nicely built guitar and one of the few Strat's I owned that didn't need a fret file right off the bat, but I hated the V neck. Also, it (ash body/maple board) had that "plinky" tone some Strat's have that I find really annoying.

D28

This is my mid 80s Tele 62B Mij, I can't think of a better guitar that I've played.
I'm looking for one in every color now:hmm

2vlm8gw.jpg

Bruce R

.....This is my mid 80s Tele 62B Mij, I can't think of a better guitar that I've played. I'm looking for one in every color now:hmm

Those 80's MIJ Fenders are fantastic guitars. A few years ago I borrowed a Tele from a friend and I had never even played an MIJ Fender before. I eventually had to give it back and proceeded to go out and buy one! They didn't cost much more than a MIM guitar and, other than the wiring, are superior in every way.

Good luck in getting one now - the cat is out of the bag and they are really hard to find!!

greveost

Bought my January 1983 '62 Reissue at the 1994 Arlington guitar show. It only had a tiny bit of wear on the upper bought when I got it. It quickly became my main guitar and I toured heavily with it for the next 8 years. Really pretty much all I played. I need to see if I can dig up a "before" pic. As you know, they made the neck pretty skinny on these. It's kinda hard for me to play these days, but I would probably get used to it again I guess. Here's it is today:
01.jpg

03.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

10.jpg

So you are saying this one is actually naturally reliced like that?