• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Invisible Headstock Crack?!!

jungledawg

Hi guys,

Finally got myself a "proper" Lester (2016 aged standard historic R8) and the wealth of information/photos on this forum was definitely a great help in choosing this model... So, thanks y'all!

First off, I LOVE the guitar... Around 9lbs, resonant as hell, nice beefy neck, etc.. Everything I would want from a LP and more!

I'm a guitarist by trade, I would say 60-75% of my gigs are jazz on a fully carved archtop guitar. When I play other genres of music I play a modified telecaster. Needless to say, this guitar is significantly heavy (especially in the lifton repro) compared to my other axes. My 17" archtop is around 4lbs by comparison.

Long story short, I took the guitar out to it's first gig the other night and Murphy showed... I can't remember a time I've dropped a guitar in my ENTIRE professional career, but somehow after a long & pretty sweaty gig that Lifton handle just slipped out of my hand and the case hit the floor on it's (cutaway) side.

I think the increased weight just took me by surprise or something, no clue why after ~15 years of regular gigging I suddenly contracted butter fingers...

Details:

-The fall was from "carrying" height, so below the waist just above the knee. Maybe 1.5-2 feet?

-The floor was carpeted, pretty thick rug.

-Despite the carpet, the sound of the case hitting the ground was loud and I could hear the strings ringing in the case. Of course, my complete horror and shame probably amplified the sound significantly...

-I had, foolishly from what I've learned since, kept the wedge of foam under the headstock that the guitar shipped to me with... I thought it would prevent the headstock from ever touching the bottom of the case. Of course, I have since learned that the headstock usually breaks forward and nothing should be behind it. When the guitar was shipped it had foam on both sides, of course the top was a total PIA to keep on a working guitar.

-The guitar was pretty much in tune when I opened the case and inspected. I'm pretty sure it was the same as when the band hit the last chord of the set.

-There are NO visible cracks (other than the finish checking from the ageing process) whatsoever, either at the body join or around the nut. I actually brought the guitar by a great repair shop today, and upon inspection my usual tech/luthier said he couldn't see any damage and that it looks like I'm lucky. I totally trust his judgement, there are definitely no VISIBLE signs of damage.

-The guitar plays/sounds as good as the day I got it and holding pitch. I did a small truss rod adjustment today, but I believe the bow was just from me stringing the guitar .11-48 instead of the factory strings.

My question to you Lester gurus out there is... Is there any damage to the guitar that could be invisible now but manifest itself later, or am I just being paranoid? Anything specific to check for?

Not sure why this has me so concerned, maybe it was the noise of the fall haha... If this was any other non-vintage guitar of mine, I would just forget and play like any other tool of the trade... Perhaps it's how beautiful this particular tool is!

Any insight is appreciated, thanks!!

Last edited:

latestarter

Relax and play it. I dropped my R4 face first onto a concrete floor...aside from easily fixed fret nicks there was nothing wrong with it.

emoney

+1 to the "relax".....that's what cases are for. If your tech is someone you trust to be competent then forget it happened.
...but, always remember so it doesn't happen again. Wait...what?

jungledawg

+1 to the "relax".....that's what cases are for. If your tech is someone you trust to be competent then forget it happened.
...but, always remember so it doesn't happen again. Wait...what?

Relax and play it. I dropped my R4 face first onto a concrete floor...aside from easily fixed fret nicks there was nothing wrong with it.

Oh I'm definitely playing it haha, but ya I think you guys are right in that it's not worth worrying about.

I wil say that, as a player and not a collector, I think the lifton cases are a damn TRAVESTY on a $5k+ guitar... I understand why they did it, look very cool, but still really stupid IMHO!

I truly believe guitar "technology" and major brand quality has only gone downhill since the golden age of craftsmanship... However, cases are the complete opposite and get better every year! Hiscox/Calton/Reunion even a damn skb/gator would be better!!

Thanks!

El Gringo

If I may suggest a sturdy flight case to give you more protection .

jungledawg

If I may suggest a sturdy flight case to give you more protection .

On it, probably end up getting a Hiscox.

Still, I'll probably use my Reunion Blues Continental for giggin round town... If it had been in that to start with, I wouldn't even have flinched when it hit the ground... So much more padding and neck support!

The sound of a Lifton case hitting the ground should be used in any other case manufacturers ads haha. it's the sound of damage and extreme sorrow.

Not sure why I thought the lifton would be better, guess it's just that hard case>soft case mentality.

madformac

Congratulations on the guitar and also on the fact it's ok. Don't worry, if it's staying in tune then it's fine. :salude

Any gigging musicians, please don't take the Lifton reissue out on the road! It's made for looks and photos and home storage.

Invest in a good flight case or for local gigs something like the Gator TSA Flight Case. It's lightweight and the best modern alternative to the old Gibson "Chainsaw" cases.

Hiscox (based quite close to me in the UK) made a damn fine lightweight hardcase you can stand on top of and your guitar will be fine.

Progrocker111

You really shouldn´t worry, it wasn´t a big fall, only from low height. Play the guitar and enjoy her. :)