• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Notable 58 players

Shakey

So there are a million and one lists of famous burst players and soo many famous Les Pauls! Many of them all seem to be 59's, which is invariably the most desirable year. What I want to know and have been unable to find is a definitive list of players who played sunburst 58's. So have at it noteable/famous/influential 58 Les Paul players!

Shakey

If there is already a thread to this effect point me in it's direction in a snarky/pompous/smug way with the appropriate amount of righteous indignation as befits such a heinous crime of asking a question someone else already has.....

Daytripper67

Billy Squire had a 58 burst that was stolen...From uncle Lou's site.

Does anyone out there know the whereabouts of this beautiful & unusually flamey '58 burst? Please message me if you do. It's serial # 8 5394 and it was stolen from Billy Squier in 1986...he's been looking for it ever since. I know Billy; he's a really nice guy who didn't deserve to have 'his baby' stolen from him. He won't press criminal charges and he'd be willing to buy the guitar back at market value; please help put a happy ending on this story.

p1_ubof2agyi_ss.jpg

marfen

Mark Knopfler, Gary Moore, Billy Gibbons (set up for slide, Just Got Paid)

Xpensive Wino

Mark Knopfler:

Advance to 4:14 for the first mention of the '58.

Mr. G. Martin:

blewsbreaker

Mark Knopfler:

Advance to 4:14 for the first mention of the '58.

Mr. G. Martin:

The Knopfler vid is a classic. The loving look he gives his burst while he's playing it is so great... Something that ALL of us do here with our favorite guitars...
And our wives or girlfriends roll their eyes...lol

58burst

I could list myself- I guess it depends on your definition of "notable" :laugh2:

srb531

toy caldwell , he had one stolen, but once stated he had another one which he would not tour with.thats when he started using a newer off the shelf lp standard. pretty sure i read somewhere toys wife has loaned the 58 to charlie daniels & its on display in a little museum thing charlie has . correct me if im wrong anyone.

Tim

Billy Squire had a 58 burst that was stolen...From uncle Lou's site.

Does anyone out there know the whereabouts of this beautiful & unusually flamey '58 burst? Please message me if you do. It's serial # 8 5394 and it was stolen from Billy Squier in 1986...he's been looking for it ever since. I know Billy; he's a really nice guy who didn't deserve to have 'his baby' stolen from him. He won't press criminal charges and he'd be willing to buy the guitar back at market value; please help put a happy ending on this story.

p1_ubof2agyi_ss.jpg

Some great footage of that burst in concert -

marfen

Billy Squier. Great stuff. Great gear. no butchered humbuckered and floyded strats, no spandex, makeup or nail polish. Rock n roll. Only thing missing is the drummer's gong. Everyone had one and the bigger the band the bigger the gong you carried to hit at the end of the drum solo.

RocknRollShakeUp

Billy Squier. Great stuff. Great gear. no butchered humbuckered and floyded strats, no spandex, makeup or nail polish. Rock n roll. Only thing missing is the drummer's gong. Everyone had one and the bigger the band the bigger the gong you carried to hit at the end of the drum solo.

Sorry for the random memory and comment, but once upon a time in the early 90s my band got shafted from a proper sound check because the drummer from the band sound checking before us brought what seemed like a 20 piece drum kit complete with this ridiculously gargantuan gong and it took forever for him to set that kit up, and then break it down again...that butnut never once hit that gong during the soundcheck, or the show! :bigal:laugh2: