• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Looking to buy a TH vs a 2018 Historic

MrMarr

I will definitely go check them out over the weekend, I don't mind the serial number as I am not planing on buying it for resale but to keep it for a long time.

If you're legitimately just buying one to play, own and love, because you just want a really fantastic LP (the best you can get etc) than I honestly would really encourage you to consider the CME models heavily.

The only reason I would suggest going TH or 2018 Historic is if the finer details regarding vintage accuracey (ie mostly on the finishing touches) matter highly to you (most of them are absolutely the same as the CME models, as they've been built to TH specs, albeit a couple tweaks on some models like different neck profiles, though they offer the '59 profile too).

I was in your shoes a couple months back and I ended up buying a CME model.

If you're truly buying it to play, love, and hold onto for a really long time, and you just want the best LP, the best tone, and you don't care about what serial number it is or resale value, than the CME LP's are easily the best value on the market right now.

Here's mine.. love love love it.

27udk1N.jpg

n4dfH4v.jpg

NAoOHDl.jpg

Also, CME do have another batch coming for 2018 - their CEO was there at the custom shop a while ago selecting the wood and specs for the models (he was posting about it on instagram).. I'm hoping they start coming in soon as I'm looking to pick up one more.

Analoga1p

He he is spot on with this! The underwound pickups sound good a little more of a bite. Although some can sound shrill but try them out here’s mine 8B973EFC-5414-46FA-B14C-1FD4C71F6CED.jpg

Why don't you just go to CME, play them, and find out for yourself? Seems like people put more faith in their eyes rather than their ears nowadays.

I might be wrong but I believe the CME runs have CME in the serial number. That doesn't concern me any but some people are so anal, they won't buy a regular reissue with a six digit serial number.

jam81

If you're legitimately just buying one to play, own and love, because you just want a really fantastic LP (the best you can get etc) than I honestly would really encourage you to consider the CME models heavily.

The only reason I would suggest going TH or 2018 Historic is if the finer details regarding vintage accuracey (ie mostly on the finishing touches) matter highly to you (most of them are absolutely the same as the CME models, as they've been built to TH specs, albeit a couple tweaks on some models like different neck profiles, though they offer the '59 profile too).

I was in your shoes a couple months back and I ended up buying a CME model.

If you're truly buying it to play, love, and hold onto for a really long time, and you just want the best LP, the best tone, and you don't care about what serial number it is or resale value, than the CME LP's are easily the best value on the market right now.

Here's mine.. love love love it.

27udk1N.jpg

n4dfH4v.jpg

NAoOHDl.jpg

Also, CME do have another batch coming for 2018 - their CEO was there at the custom shop a while ago selecting the wood and specs for the models (he was posting about it on instagram).. I'm hoping they start coming in soon as I'm looking to pick up one more.

That is a beauty!! I heard a couple of videos of them on youtube and they just have an amazing tone, I am definitely leaning towards them.

lpthomas

I’m not sure if 2017/2018s are not wet sanded. I think they are. The difference to the TH might be the „by hand“ part?

I might be wrong but I believe the CME runs have CME in the serial number. That doesn't concern me any but some people are so anal, they won't buy a regular reissue with a six digit serial number.

I'm that guy :hee I just had a conversation with them yesterday about an axe I liked and asked if the CME stamp on back would effect resale and he said basically quite the opposite as they are rumored to have the best picks of the litter.....:hmm

asapmaz

TH was simply a name they had to give the top shelf Historics in 2015 to up the price.
Buy a 2018 if you want the most accuracy to date.
Be ready to trade that in around 2019-2020 though for even more accuracy.

Analoga1p

Makes the guitar sound more open or resonant. I have played one and the neck finished by hand is something special. Does it warrant a price difference? It’s up to you. At CME they have true historics so check them out!

Does wet sanding make a difference?

TH was simply a name they had to give the top shelf Historics in 2015 to up the price.

Prior to 2015 what models were double carved and wet sanded by hand and shared the same specs as a TH? Not stirring crap I honestly don't know?

Analoga1p

The CME’s are special

I'm that guy :hee I just had a conversation with them yesterday about an axe I liked and asked if the CME stamp on back would effect resale and he said basically quite the opposite as they are rumored to have the best picks of the litter.....:hmm

asapmaz

Prior to 2015 what models were double carved and wet sanded by hand and shared the same specs as a TH? Not stirring crap I honestly don't know?

None.
But, do you honestly think double carving and wet sanding are things that would make buyers dish out $2k more for a historic if Gibson didn't introduce these features as part of a new "tier" of historics?
When the market questioned the price hike, Gibson had to make a big deal out of these minor aspects and the color of the plastics to make people feel better.
When the market got saturated with these so called TH's, Gibson simply made most of these features as part of the regular run and reintroduced a "lower price" to make people buy again.
Then, they simply played the Brazilian card when the time was right to create another top tier for people to dish out another $4-5k.
Nothing wrong with good marketing.

Wizard1183

I’m curious. How much more accurate can they get? I hear ppl say “Oh the carve isn’t as accurate as it should.” Or the knobs aren’t in the right spot or whatever. No 2 Original 1959LP are the same. So how can you compare (Original vs New) one to the other? As far as accuracy goes they used Brazilian. Will they use “old growth mahogany” to get CLOSER? They can never make an EXACT copy as regulations stop them from using same type paint, nitro, and glues....

asapmaz

I’m curious. How much more accurate can they get? I hear ppl say “Oh the carve isn’t as accurate as it should.” Or the knobs aren’t in the right spot or whatever. No 2 Original 1959LP are the same. So how can you compare (Original vs New) one to the other? As far as accuracy goes they used Brazilian. Will they use “old growth mahogany” to get CLOSER? They can never make an EXACT copy as regulations stop them from using same type paint, nitro, and glues....

I think they're still not using brass thumb wheels on the bridge posts as far as I know. Not sure why.
And, it'd be nice to see them slightly angle the tailpiece as in the vintage ones for that almost parallel abr/tailpiece look. They finally did carve the cutaway deeper as in the vintage ones, which was a nice change.
Nitro would be a nice touch, too. HM refins, for example, have such a nice vintage vibe from a look and feel aspect.

Wizard1183

I think they're still not using brass thumb wheels on the bridge posts as far as I know. Not sure why.
And, it'd be nice to see them slightly angle the tailpiece as in the vintage ones for that almost parallel abr/tailpiece look. They finally did carve the cutaway deeper as in the vintage ones, which was a nice change.
Nitro would be a nice touch, too. HM refins, for example, have such a nice vintage vibe from a look and feel aspect.
I see your points? But why should Gibson bother making it completely accurate? They’re the only company that produces a replica of the original (I know Fender does as well? But I’m speaking generally to a product and outside of guitars) that ppl gripe on because it’s not to the same spec. Look at the cars going retro. Having a look? But not exactly the same as yesteryear or anything else. You can change to brass thumb wheels pretty easily. But no matter what else they do? Tone won’t change much in comparison to what they’re putting out right now. It’s all moot. Anything 2013 and later is good to go. If they used Braz and old growth mahogany? It’d be for collector purposes only basically. I doubt the tone would change dramatically from production now as the electronics are new.

Rayvyn

I feel kinda dumb, I like both the TH and the 2018 59 (especially mine:peace2). Not to worry though, I’m sure Gibson will find another selling point and reissue the Truer 59 and then the truest 59 and the ultimate true-true, etc... The only response is find one you love regardless of everything else and forget the rest. Either that or save up for a legit burst but I’d guess they vary too... IMHO of course...

jam81

Ok guys so I ended up getting the new Les Paul's with the Carmelita neck from 2018 and Brazilian rosewood. I got it at CME. I spent 2 hours with 5 different guitars and the one I picked was the one I liked the most. Now my issue is, when I got home and did and A/B test with my 2016 standard HP the difference is pretty much non-existent tone and playability wise I was expecting a huge difference for the price I paid. Am I overthinking it and creating false expectations? Or could it be I was lucky enough to have a really really good 2016 unit?

As I have only owned these 2 guitars except for cheap versions in the past, I dont have enough experience to say "oh yeah there should be a huge difference between both due to the price"

Thundermtn

Dude! Congrats!

You just need a little more time with it, the difference is there. It is entirely possible that your USA could be really nice too as I have a USA that I feel the same way about. Each guitar will have a way to get that last little bit of tone out and you're still used to another guitar.

Don't have buyers remorse, you got the best one of five in one of the premier LP CS dealers in the world with a BRZ board.

Analoga1p

Congratulations! We will need to see a photo of the guitar! They are definitely different guitars
and yes you may have a great sounding 2016 HP standard! I’m sure there is something different sound wise between the custom and your HP.

Ok guys so I ended up getting the new Les Paul's with the Carmelita neck from 2018 and Brazilian rosewood. I got it at CME. I spent 2 hours with 5 different guitars and the one I picked was the one I liked the most. Now my issue is, when I got home and did and A/B test with my 2016 standard HP the difference is pretty much non-existent tone and playability wise I was expecting a huge difference for the price I paid. Am I overthinking it and creating false expectations? Or could it be I was lucky enough to have a really really good 2016 unit?

As I have only owned these 2 guitars except for cheap versions in the past, I dont have enough experience to say "oh yeah there should be a huge difference between both due to the price"

jam81

Dude! Congrats!

You just need a little more time with it, the difference is there. It is entirely possible that your USA could be really nice too as I have a USA that I feel the same way about. Each guitar will have a way to get that last little bit of tone out and you're still used to another guitar.

Don't have buyers remorse, you got the best one of five in one of the premier LP CS dealers in the world with a BRZ board.

Thanks. I definitely have buyers remorse due to the price more than anything. I so love the guitar but I want there to be a vast difference to support the price I guess.