• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Current bursts for sale...

T.Allen

Dave Hinson (Killer Vintage) might be a good source to speak with if you are interested. There is a good chance he has been over this guitar.

Hobbyist

So, I noticed that serial number - 9 1966 - is not listed in the burst serial log. What is the protocol for making it onto that listing?

sglp63

S/n 9 1966
Description from the auction:
... The neck pickup is zebra and reads 9.1 ohms and the bridge pickup is double black and reads 15.0 ohms...

All the pics are here: https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/vi...-12001.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf

I wonder how that it ended up with that reading…

The top reminds me of 9 1970 a bit, with the wide, irregular figure (looks quarter sawn though).

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
So, I noticed that serial number - 9 1966 - is not listed in the burst serial log. What is the protocol for making it onto that listing?

Contact Julio [the website owner] and he'll tell you what you need to submit to get your guitar listed.
Includes photos of the guitar including critical areas like neck joint, control cavity and serial number. :)

Hobbyist

Thanks Tom. I don't have a dog in this hunt. Wish I did. Was thinking for posterity about this particular guitar.
David

JJ Blair

S/n 9 1966
Description from the auction:
1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard Sunburst Solid Body Electric Guitar, Serial # 9 1966. An original 1959 Gibson Les Paul Burst. The top on this guitar is amazing and really pops in the sunlight. This guitar had Grover tuners; holes filled and re-drilled. The jack plate looks correct but there are additional filled holes from a larger jack at some point. There is a top crack stemming from the neck pickup tone control. Does not appear to have been repaired, nor does it seem necessary. Pots and caps are correct. The neck pickup is zebra and reads 9.1 ohms and the bridge pickup is double black and reads 15.0 ohms. It appears to have had a professional quality refret. The back and the neck have been oversprayed along with minor touch up on the headstock. The touch-up & overspray were done at Paul Hamer and Jol Dantzig's guitar shop, Northern Prairie Music in the late 70's according to the owner and Jol Dantzig. The owner bought this guitar circa 1973. The pickup covers were removed and played that way for a long time. Bobbins show wear from play. Two tuner buttons are replaced. Normal wear from play and checking is present. Finish wear to the back at the bass side middle bout edge, as well as bumps along the bottom edge. There is also a scrape on the back of the neck at the 3rd to 4th fret. It does not a appear to be a crack or a break. This guitar is two serial numbers away from Duane Allman's Burst! Great action and amazing sound! 9.4 lbs. Original hard case included. Condition: Very Good. LOA from Jol Dantzig.

"One of the better sounding Les Paul's I've ever heard." Dave Hinson-Killer Vintage Specialty Guitars.

All the pics are here: https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/vi...-12001.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf

lf

Am I the only one who thinks the top looks refinished?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Am I the only one who thinks the top looks refinished?

It certainly looks strange.
If I owned this, I would ask them to post more and better photos. The fact that they do not post cavity photos is disappointing and scary. In this day and age that should be a requirement and the lack of these photos is suspicious. :wah

jimmi

It certainly looks strange.
If I owned this, I would ask them to post more and better photos. The fact that they do not post cavity photos is disappointing and scary. In this day and age that should be a requirement and the lack of these photos is suspicious. :wah

15 ohms resistance for one of the pickups? Not saying it isn’t possible but definitely an outlier if real.

BLuesGuitarMart

I'm at work so can't access Instagram to post links but does anyone know anything about the burst that Neal Schon just bought? He has pictures up on his profile.

thxphotog

I'm at work so can't access Instagram to post links but does anyone know anything about the burst that Neal Schon just bought? He has pictures up on his profile.

Here's a pic. He's been buying a ton of guitars of late. I think maybe JB is offering him guidance? This 59 and a bunch of 50s Strat's.

A9EXQ1Z.jpg

BLuesGuitarMart

Here's a pic. He's been buying a ton of guitars of late. I think maybe JB is offering him guidance? This 59 and a bunch of 50s Strat's.

Yeah! Seems like everytime I open Instagram he's playing a new 50's Strat, then today I saw the LP. Wonder what's happened to make him suddenly start buying all these guitars. Scrolling down his Instagram it's like a new guitar every couple of days! Scroll down a bit further and he's just bought a Lambo as well.....

Last edited:

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator

A9EXQ1Z.jpg

I promise you Joe didn't offer him advice on this one.:jim

Nick21

913996EC-7F59-4C28-8585-B274D2DDC7EE.jpg

Neck pocket and control cavity on the Heritage burst. I’m told opening bid will start at $175k.

Attachments

• 450842B0-F228-4229-81A8-3B40550AA887.jpg
    450842B0-F228-4229-81A8-3B40550AA887.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 105

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
View attachment 10269

Neck pocket and control cavity on the Heritage burst. I’m told opening bid will start at $175k.

So with the buyer's fee, that brings the opening bid/reserve to $218K. I'd be surprised if it gets much traction. The Burst market is beyond picky right now, and likely to remain so (for lots of reasons). If the seller and HA really wanted to move it, they'd make it a no-reserve auction, and see what happens.

When the tide goes out, you see who's been swimming naked...(thank you, Mr. Buffett)