• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Current bursts for sale...

garywright

Hi, I just got this Email from Lou Gantanas"
Hello Peter,
I owned this guitar briefly nearly 30 years ago, not much I can say about it other than the obvious...it’s got a nice top, and it’s been re-necked. I bought it from a private Japanese collector, who bought it from Tom Wittrock, perhaps Tom can tell you more about the guitar.
Cheers,
Lou

So he did not know anything about an 54 Neck!!!!!

That's wired!
it’s possible that Lou forgot to mention it (54) rather than not know anything about it

Peter-K

it’s possible that Lou forgot to mention it (54) rather than not know anything about it

I asked Lou again: And this is what he wrote!!!!

As I said, I know nothing about who did the re-neck or whether it’s a ‘54 neck or not. But from the photos I see of it online, I can tell you those inlays appear to be post 1962 if that helps you. If Tom can’t offer you any additional information on that guitar, nobody else can either.Cheers,
Lou

sws1

I asked Lou again: And this is what he wrote!!!!

As I said, I know nothing about who did the re-neck or whether it’s a ‘54 neck or not. But from the photos I see of it online, I can tell you those inlays appear to be post 1962 if that helps you. If Tom can’t offer you any additional information on that guitar, nobody else can either.Cheers,
Lou

Perhaps when the headstock was broken...after the reneck...it was renecked again. In the burst serial photos, you can see photos of the guitar with what look like correct inlays, and also with these 60s inlays. And you can't see the headstock break. Could be just poor /small photos.

Peter-K

Perhaps when the headstock was broken...after the reneck...it was renecked again. In the burst serial photos, you can see photos of the guitar with what look like correct inlays, and also with these 60s inlays. And you can't see the headstock break. Could be just poor /small photos.

If the guitar has had a further reneck, why does the seller has no documents and pictures of reneck no.2?

As long as I know has the guitar a headstock repair, so it seems to be the same neck!

Or it's is renecked again and has had a further head stock repair???

I just wait in the answer of another german owner of the guitar! I hope he can help.

PabloHarlem

My understanding is that there were about 1500 ish 59's made and about 1000 are known to have survived

Is this correct?

brandtkronholm

Hi,

I saw a nice Les Paul for sale at Reverb.

https://reverb.com/de/item/20366093...t-formely-owned-by-steven-segal-ex-april-wine

I asked No 1 for more informations about the reneck. The seller wrote, that is has an 1954 Goldtop neck.

But I did not get any proof for the neck! They did not tell me, who made the reneck and there are no photos of the work.

The neck is recountered and refinished!

So how do they know, that it's a 1954 neck?

My question: Is there anybody in the forum who know this burst (SN: 0 7606) and has informations about the neck?

I guess there are former owners, who can tell me me more about this guitar and the reneck!

The guitar is also listed in the Book: Burst Belivers III by Vic DaPra on page 207 and in the "Burst" 58-60 book by Jay Scott on page 118.

It would be interesting to find out about the history of that guitar.

Thanks

If this is the same guitar I encountered in the early middle 1990s then here's my experience: The '54 re-neck was acknowledged - which is the only thing that makes me think that I've actually (briefly) encountered this one. So, if memory serves (again, 25+ years ago), it may have had a wire bridge with plastic saddles (?) and if I recall, it had zebra PAFs - the covers were off. However, I definitely remember that the neck was humongous. It played terribly. Buzzy had it on the wall at Lark Street Guitars in Albany. Again, that's what I know about it if it is the same guitar I came across way back in the 1990s.

duaneflowers

Couple Bursts spotted today at the Osaka guitar show...

59951640_10218120920151086_1894391550348099584_n.jpg

59811229_10218120922151136_4555192861884153856_n.jpg

Owner currently has 2 more bursts for sale at his shop in Tokyo... :salude

edit: links to all four

Last edited:

duaneflowers

Quite a different display than Tom Wittrock's booth.

More than likely due to the hundreds of people walking around glued to their cell phones without a care in the world where they are walking... :ganz

duaneflowers

So, there is another Burst on the opposite side of this one? :hmm

Looks like a young lady has her eye on it. :ganz

60022377_10218123038804051_1630209211482767360_n.jpg

Took forever for her to get out of the way so I could snap a few pix... she was quite stunning though, so I didn't mind the wait... :)