• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Current bursts for sale...

NYCBURST

Pretty light colored fretboard too.

1960GibsonLesPaulStandardBurst-10.jpg
I've been looking at this guitar for a week and there's a lot that does not look right about this guitar. I would never say one way or the other without knowing the full story, because I hate when people do that, but this guitar looks like some sort of customshop conversion.

NYCBURST

This morning, Eric texted me and asked me "Charlie...what would you like me to disclose?"

Here's my answer:

Many consider Eric's opinion, on all things vintage, to be the gospel. In the Detlef bashing thread, despite many suggesting that this could have very well been a burst, Eric vehemently insisted it was a Goldtop. In that thread, it served his purposes, for the sake of the Detlef bashing, to say it was a Goldtop, because that made Detlef's "misrepresentations" to the kid more egregious.

Now...when Eric lists it for sale, he says "This might be the first opportunity some of you fellow guitar geeks might get at owning an elusive Burst. Since it is a refin., it will be less than half of the typical $250k+ entry fee!!!"

I take that to mean that it can be bought in the 100k to 125k range. That's mint Goldtop money, not a realistic price for a Goldtop that has been refinished 6 times.

To specifically answer his question of "What would you like me to disclose?" My answer is, advertise it as a refinned Goldtop (which was his adamant opinion). He could then say, "But I could be wrong, and if I am, and it started out as a burst, you're getting a good deal!"

Weren't we all demanding full and complete disclosure in the Detlef thread? Should the same not apply to Eric?

I know the exact guitar your speaking of, refinished six times, I played it at the last guitar show. One of the strangest encounters I've had, When I inquired what it was I never got an official answer. My buddy asked me what guitar I was playing, I said I was "looking at a 58 burst... I think" very odd encounter. Very evasive answers

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
The wiring harness looks to be buggered, especially the ground bus. Pickup solder connections appear to have been buggered. Astron caps in 1960?

Well, the Astrons are used in 1960 on and off, but my 60 looks like a better wiring job. :hmm

normal_DSCN2838.JPG

DSCN2838.JPG

marshall1987

I didn't know Astrons were used in 1960.

But you're right about the neatness of the wiring harness in your 1960 vs. the Emerald City 1960.

In that guitar I noted the errant tailpiece ground wire which is placed over the top of the black plastic tube containing the output jack wire. Also there is an extra ground wire installed between the rhythm pickup volume pot and the center lug of the treble pickup tone pot. I don't believe Gibson wired them like that back in the day.

The pots and caps may be all original to the guitar, however, the harness and solder shows evidence of tampering. Which makes one suspect the pickups (double black and a double white according to the Emerald City video) may have been swapped or removed at one time.

I can't get over the funky neck binding! What's the story on that? The guitar does have a nicely figured maple top.

JJ Blair

The binding bugs me, but so does the fret board. It's been rebound for sure, but that board feels off.

JJ Blair

Board planed and re-bound by Gruhn after planing messed up original binding.

Well, not only was it planed badly (you can see scars), they shaved down the sides to accommodate a wide binding, rather than shaping the binding properly.

marshall1987

Well, not only was it planed badly (you can see scars), they shaved down the sides to accommodate a wide binding, rather than shaping the binding properly.

That being the case, you would think the seller would disclose all repairs to the neck, and the additional "fubars" already noted. Clearly there is more going on than a new nut, headstock break, and re-fret. :dang

Zentar

I own a 57 Harmony archtop with Rosewood fretboard. The Rosewood is super dark. Much much darker than the pic above. Rosewood seems to darken a bit after 50 or 60 years. Maybe it darkens from the reapplications of oil over time or maybe oil from hands accumulates in the grain. Old Rosewood is very dark.

Black58

I own a 57 Harmony archtop with Rosewood fretboard. The Rosewood is super dark. Much much darker than the pic above. Rosewood seems to darken a bit after 50 or 60 years. Maybe it darkens from the reapplications of oil over time or maybe oil from hands accumulates in the grain. Old Rosewood is very dark.

There are light-colored rosewood boards like that out there; And even lighter!. They're not common, but they are out there. .. WEIRD looking! :hee

Zentar

There are light-colored rosewood boards like that out there; And even lighter!. They're not common, but they are out there. .. WEIRD looking! :hee

That fretboard looks sanded thus reveling lighter fresh wood. Looks like its had a refret too. Sanded Rosewood is lighter. 60 yr old Rosewood is darker now than it was in the 1950s. Oil and nicotine accumulates over the many decades