• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

When buying a Historic in the $ 7,000 - $ 10,000 range what are you looking for ?

KR1

if you want to say something on this forum you have to pass the big AL test ? - #$% that

I think the idea might be highlighted, above.

Cogs, what’s up with this?

Last edited:

tripletime

Les Paul Froum Member
First of all the op is a buffoon, so don't rise to his shit stirring bait. Now I don't tell people what to buy, how much to spend or decide which options they can or cannot have.

I have MY budget, MY needs, My desire and needs, MY choice an MY FIPPIN' GUITAR!

I don't make judgements about others choices. I like what I like and don't impose my preferences upon others. I damn sure don't begrudge those who can afford to indulge themselves things I simply cannot afford or justify. I'm not a relic or aging fan. I'm a relic, rather not be, but it doesn't bother me that others do. Good for them, good for me. They have theirs, I gots mine, no harm, no foul.

I choose to celebrate it and relish the opportunity to share in it.

You fell for it. What did you think this thread was about?:hmm

Dude -

you want to belly ache and moan about every single thing I write - I cant stop you

but calling people names is over the line and a major violation of forum rules

if the mods feel one of my threads is inappropriate they can delete it - you don't need to play forum cop

I am putting you on my ignore list - have fun !

Last edited:

KR1

Dude -

you want to belly ache and moan about every single thing I write - I cant stop you

if the mods feel one of my threads is inappropriate they can delete it - you don't need to play forum cop

Passive/Agressive BS, and you know it.

If you have questions about these guitars or the music that they have been used to create, the way they function, their history, or just the guitar-nerd-related issues that strangely occupy a number of brain cells connected to this board, the available fraternity is obvious. There is a great lot of musical and technical talent here, business success, and most-importantly, legacy friendship potential. Consider that..?

You need a new flight plan, "Dude."

El Gringo

I have said it before and I will say it again because it bears repeating that Big Al is one of the foremost experts on Guitars ,the vast amount of knowledge and understanding of the inner and outer workings of all stringed instruments is like a ocean of knowledge on how they are built , on how they sound , on hardware , pickups , different species of wood .Everything that goes on inside and outside and in between , I could go on forever ,he has a deep understanding of the manufacturing process of our beloved Gibson's from the days of Kalamazoo all the way to Music City in Nashville . Big Al should be respected for his knowledge and helpful guidance that he has given many of us myself included and if you spend any time here reading some of his posts you will understand where I am coming from in saying these things .

renderit

Dude -

Ew! Ew! Ew! CAN I BE ON IT TOO?????

...........................................................PuuuuuuuuuuLEEEEEZ?

I'm probably one of the newest forum members but certainly not new to being a musician and some of the stuff I've learned here in a short time is incredible. I don't know Big Al from a hole in the wall but for sure have gained massive insight from his posts and those goes for a few other cats on here. So, if you sit back and read some good topics you will learn.

As for the OP......pay and play for what make you tingle when the string goes a jingle I'm a big fan of putting a value on MY happiness as well.... not just the material facts of instrument or what others perceive it to be worth.

Rayvyn

The written word leaves much to be desired in effective, sincere communications. Something tells me there is a lot of truth in all of these threads (including this one) and not as much negative as it might seem. I hope the initial question was sincere and built in the sticker shock that comes with the world of respectable reproductions. I know I’ve wondered more than once how much these guitars should be as well as many times thinking “holy shit these guitars cost too much!” I’ve also been here long enough to know Al as a great flavor to this forum and is a sincere guardian of the pricipals of what goes on here. For whatever reason, this subject and this manner of communication clash and here we are. Hopefully the subject has been asked and answered and who really cares about the rest? We all have better things to spend our time on and I really think we should reconsider boobies as a fitting end to this subject.

My 2 pennies at least...

oldog

An R4 ,R6 and a R7. under 3K apiece used , would get me there:eek:la

tripletime

Les Paul Froum Member
funny thing is - look at how many posts by people other than me are about the EXACT subject in the OP

scan the list of threads active right now

notice how many are about the BRW, True Historic, M2M and Limted runs in the 7-10k range

all that's being talked about here is the high end stuff

the text at the start of the thread gave no viewpoint - all it did was ask how these high end pieces were selected.

T.Allen

funny thing is - look at how many posts by people other than me are about the EXACT subject in the OP

scan the list of threads active right now

notice how many are about the BRW, True Historic, M2M and Limted runs in the 7-10k range

all that's being talked about here is the high end stuff

the text at the start of the thread gave no viewpoint - all it did was ask how these high end pieces were selected.

On this forum, there are owners of $300 guitars, $500,000 guitars and everything in between. It is whatever floats your boat.

I would recommend kicking it down a notch or 3. You have surfaced on the moderator radar a couple of times now.

jkenny

First post in a long time, jumped back on the historic thanks to Troy at Wildwood. My first aged LP. Murphy painted and aged 1960 lemon. Sorry don’t post much but always learning, you guys are great.

Attachments

• DBE2FD81-438F-402A-9C63-47557CC9B031.jpg
    DBE2FD81-438F-402A-9C63-47557CC9B031.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 12
  • 437E174A-1046-4AFD-958A-5E2A3AA167EF.jpg
    437E174A-1046-4AFD-958A-5E2A3AA167EF.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 15
  • AEB3ABDB-AD4C-46F8-8DEB-1213A3CE9572.jpg
    AEB3ABDB-AD4C-46F8-8DEB-1213A3CE9572.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 16

TM1

I paid $2,200. For my 2002 R-0 with a Birdseye top and Braz. fingerboard in 2003. It was brand new. I spent another $3k sending it to Kim @ Historic Makeovers. Other than the top not being glued with Hide Glue, that's the only difference. I have a set of PAF's in it, a 1960 wiring harness. All the plastics, except the Throbak rings are vintage. A vintage set of Grover Rotomatics that are stamped "GIBSON" instead of Grover.. Etc, etc..
$7-10k seems insane.

Bruce R

DB. What would an '02 R0 cost us these days, especially with the Braz fretboard? Not taking a trip to HM into account.

I love yours, it's amazing!

TM1

DB. What would an '02 R0 cost us these days, especially with the Braz fretboard? Not taking a trip to HM into account.

I love yours, it's amazing!
Bruce, not sure what an '02 would run these days. I'd have to do some checking around. My R-0 plays and sounds as good as most of the vintage ones I've played over the last 50 years. It's pretty spectacular to me.
Thanks!