The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 73
  1. #1
    Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    In the pocket
    Posts
    5,661

    What player made 'Bursts popular?



  2. #2
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lost in the Ozarks [again]
    Posts
    41,339

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Lots of them.
    Pauls to the walls!

    Hüter der Flammen!

    PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

  3. #3
    Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    In the pocket
    Posts
    5,661

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    Lots of them.

    Undoubtedly so.

    I'd say Bloomfield & Clapton between them were the most influential initially.

    I know they weren't necessarily the first with their 'Bursts, but they had the most influence on the desirability of the '58-60 Les Paul Standards as far as I know.

  4. #4
    Les Paul Forum Member goldtop0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    At the end of the Long White Cloud
    Posts
    7,117

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    The Les Paul/Marshall combination was the kicker for most all players back in the day and yes EC and MB started the phenomenon.

  5. #5
    Les Paul Forum Member jbzoso2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    I'm at MY HOUSE!!!!!
    Posts
    1,090

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    James Patrick Page!

  6. #6
    Les Paul Forum Member Ed Driscoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South of Dallas
    Posts
    4,232

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by jbzoso2002 View Post
    James Patrick Page!
    Page certainly kept them popular in the 1970s, but by the time he bought his 'Burst off of Joe Walsh, Clapton, Beck, Peter Green, Bloomfield and Keith Richards all had their own for several years. Page was making a statement that he had leapfrogged into the elites when he bought his 'Burst in 1969, but he was far from the first to popularize the instrument in the 1960s.

  7. #7
    Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    In the pocket
    Posts
    5,661

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Driscoll View Post
    Page certainly kept them popular in the 1970s, but by the time he bought his 'Burst off of Joe Walsh, Clapton, Beck, Peter Green, Bloomfield and Keith Richards all had their own for several years. Page was making a statement that he had leapfrogged into the elites when he bought his 'Burst in 1969, but he was far from the first to popularize the instrument in the 1960s.

    His first Les Paul was a Custom, too, not a Burst.

  8. #8
    Les Paul Forum Member Ed Driscoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South of Dallas
    Posts
    4,232

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xpensive Wino View Post
    His first Les Paul was a Custom, too, not a Burst.
    Yup -- and prior to buying the Walsh 'Burst and selling a zillion records with Zeppelin, I don't think too many players were buying Customs because Page owned one. Not to mention he was photographed almost exclusively with a Tele during the Yardbirds era.

  9. #9
    Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    In the pocket
    Posts
    5,661

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Driscoll View Post
    Yup -- and prior to buying the Walsh 'Burst and selling a zillion records with Zeppelin, I don't think too many players were buying Customs because Page owned one. Not to mention he was photographed almost exclusively with a Tele during the Yardbirds era.

    True. The first time I saw Zeppelin there wasn't a Gibson in sight.

  10. #10
    Les Paul Forum Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Lake Ontario shore
    Posts
    12,993

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Page gave it greatest exposure. Biggest influence.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  11. #11
    Les Paul Forum Member madformac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Manchester, UK.
    Posts
    689

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Page gave it greatest exposure. Biggest influence.

    Agreed.


    Bloomfield and Keef were the first, Clapton found the tone, Page gave it the greatest exposure and Green was the best.

    Sounds about right..

  12. #12
    Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Blighty.
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    One never forgets one's first kiss....Greeny.
    Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

  13. #13

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Paul McCartney could have written...
    What's that man got happen'n ...looks like the one used by Eric Clapton..

    But he chose...

    Tell me, what's that man moving cross the stage?
    It looks a lot like the one used by Jimmy Page
    It's like a relic from a different age, could be, oo wee

  14. #14
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Out here on the perimeter, stoned/immaculate
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Clapton and Bloomfield at about the same time but I'd give the nod to Clapton because he had a much bigger audience.
    A smile relieves a heart that grieves.

  15. #15
    Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    In the pocket
    Posts
    5,661

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by gmann View Post
    Clapton and Bloomfield at about the same time but I'd give the nod to Clapton because he had a much bigger audience.

    Debatable. Bloomfield played with Dylan, remember. As a guitarist, I think his influence was wider initially, although Eric was first with a 'Burst between the two of them.

    I'm just waiting for someone to tell me that Ace Frehley was the most influential.

  16. #16
    Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Blighty.
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xpensive Wino View Post
    Debatable. Bloomfield played with Dylan, remember. As a guitarist, I think his influence was wider initially, although Eric was first with a 'Burst between the two of them.
    Where would you say Keef figures in the time line? He had a 'Burst before either of the lead contenders, 1962? Ed Sullivan show, 64 was it?

    I think Mr Gruhn makes an important distinction in his appraisal, he says Mike was a big influence in the USA, particularly in the Mid West. I wonder if any of the UK Lads around and about early 60's could describe whether that influence translated across the pond? Something quite clearly did, this tiny island is heavily represented, and massively influential in carrying the flame.

    I'd like to know who or what influenced John Bowen to pay a kings ransom for a 'Burst in Luton in 1961...who had he seen or heard with one?
    Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

  17. #17
    Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    In the pocket
    Posts
    5,661

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by ourmaninthenorth View Post
    Where would you say Keef figures in the time line? He had a 'Burst before either of the lead contenders, 1962? Ed Sullivan show, 64 was it?

    I think Mr Gruhn makes an important distinction in his appraisal, he says Mike was a big influence in the USA, particularly in the Mid West. I wonder if any of the UK Lads around and about early 60's could describe whether that influence translated across the pond? Something quite clearly did, this tiny island is heavily represented, and massively influential in carrying the flame.

    I'd like to know who or what influenced John Bowen to pay a kings ransom for a 'Burst in Luton in 1961...who had he seen or heard with one?
    I don't know anyone who wanted a 'Burst because Keith played one, and I suspect he got one because he could.

    Plenty of people wanted a guitar like Eric played on those Mayall tracks, though, including Mr. Greenbaum, who badly wanted to join the Bluesbreakers as Clapton's replacement.

    Bloomfield, on the other hand, had played with Dylan, so anything he touched was instantly sought after, as Gruhn details. The impact of the Dylan association went far beyond the American Midwest.

    As far as John Bowen goes, the embargo on American imports had made any US-made instrument an object of desire in the UK. Once it was possible to get a guitar like the ones people had seen on the LP covers, the dam burst - for those who could afford to slake their thirst, anyway.

    There are good articles about the phenomenon here: http://www.theguitarmagazine.com/vin...body-part-one/ and here: https://stmargarets.london/archives/...go_part_1.html

  18. #18
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    the netherlands
    Posts
    169

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xpensive Wino View Post
    Debatable. Bloomfield played with Dylan, remember. As a guitarist, I think his influence was wider initially, although Eric was first with a 'Burst between the two of them.

    I'm just waiting for someone to tell me that Ace Frehley was the most influential.
    well there is a bit of truth in this :D , a lot of guys in my age Group (50+) got drawn into LP's because of Ace and the first guitar I coveted was a clownburst custom, only later on did I learn the different LP types and started to appreciate the Burst so albeit indirectly, Ace is the reason I love Bursts

  19. #19
    Les Paul Forum Member Elmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    1,693

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    For me, Page gets extra credit because he never abandoned the 'burst. He just used it as the proper tool for that song.
    "What's it SOUND like, baby?" - Ray Charles

  20. #20
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Posts
    465

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Well, for me (born in 1974) it was in this order:
    1. Ace Frehley
    2. Jimmy Page
    3. Slash
    2007 CR8
    2000 Elegant
    1953 J50

  21. #21
    Les Paul Forum Member Ed Driscoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South of Dallas
    Posts
    4,232

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xpensive Wino View Post
    I don't know anyone who wanted a 'Burst because Keith played one, and I suspect he got one because he could.
    Reading through stacks of '70s and '80s Guitar Players, Guitar Worlds, and their spin-off books, I don't recall ever reading Keith credited for igniting the popularity of the 'Burst in the 1960s. It was always Clapton and Bloomfield. I think Keith is being retconned into Les Paul history because his popularity soared in the late '80s with his solo albums and the Stones reuniting and constantly touring since.

  22. #22
    Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    In the pocket
    Posts
    5,661

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by thejaf View Post
    Well, for me (born in 1974) it was in this order:
    1. Ace Frehley
    2. Jimmy Page
    3. Slash

    Page, KISS and Slash didn't play 'Bursts when they entered the public eye, did they?

  23. #23

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xpensive Wino View Post
    Bloomfield, on the other hand, had played with Dylan, so anything he touched was instantly sought after, as Gruhn details. The impact of the Dylan association went far beyond the American Midwest.
    Then people should've been reaching for a Tele or a Duosonic..



    "I can't sing,
    I ain't pretty,
    And my legs,
    Are thin."

  24. #24
    Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    In the pocket
    Posts
    5,661

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by chasenblues View Post
    Then people should've been reaching for a Tele or a Duosonic..
    They did reach for Teles.

    Did you hear what George Gruhn said in the OP?

    When Mike picked up a Goldtop, the market followed. Same thing happened when he got his hands on Erlewine's 'Burst.





    I saw the same thing happen when Clapton switched to Strats. Overnight the price of old Strats started to rise.

    I suppose 'Bursts didn't fall out of favour because so many others were playing them by then.

  25. #25
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Posts
    465

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xpensive Wino View Post
    Page, KISS and Slash didn't play 'Bursts when they entered the public eye, did they?

    The 10-year old me didn't know or care about such differences at the time. It was a sunburst Les Paul, and I had to have one some day. Those early images defined my concept of a "lead guitar player."
    2007 CR8
    2000 Elegant
    1953 J50

  26. #26
    Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    In the pocket
    Posts
    5,661

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by thejaf View Post
    The 10-year old me didn't know or care about such differences at the time. It was a sunburst Les Paul, and I had to have one some day. Those early images defined my concept of a "lead guitar player."

    OK, but it had nothing to do with 58-60 Sunburst Les Pauls, because none of those players used them early in their careers.

  27. #27
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Posts
    465

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xpensive Wino View Post
    OK, but it had nothing to do with 58-60 Sunburst Les Pauls, because none of those players used them early in their careers.
    True, but they made the Les Paul model popular.

    Thus the question should be refiend to: "Who was the first nationally recognized guitar player to begin their career playing a 1958-1960 Sunburst Les Paul."


    If that's the question, then my vote would be Andy Tielman, at least recongizable based on the period (late 1950s).
    2007 CR8
    2000 Elegant
    1953 J50

  28. #28
    Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    In the pocket
    Posts
    5,661

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by thejaf View Post
    True, but they made the Les Paul model popular.

    Thus the question should be refiend to: "Who was the first nationally recognized guitar player to begin their career playing a 1958-1960 Sunburst Les Paul."


    If that's the question, then my vote would be Andy Tielman




  29. #29
    Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Blighty.
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?



    Trying to stick to the original question - which I think is a very clever one, and taking a step back somewhat from my own Anglo-centric position, I'll openly state that I've never factored Mr Bloomfield into my own thinking on this subject. It remains a fact that my Les Paul heroes are largely Brit's, but that's an irrelevance in terms of XW's posed question. I too have answered a question...Greeny, just not the one asked.

    I have a blindside knowledge gap concerning Mr Bloomfield that even a little cursory reading around the subject shows to be huge. I simply don't know his work enough to make any meaningful contribution. I however believe his importance to this question is irrefutable, I need to get my eyes and ears busy for a while. This could be revelatory for me on a personal level.

    "We" still saved the Les Paul's though, regardless...... accompanied to Elgar's Nimrod played on the spoons....
    Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

  30. #30
    Les Paul Forum Member Patrick Ginnaty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Bremen, Maine
    Posts
    1,432

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Bluesbreakers w/Clapton was the advent of the modern Les Paul sound. The sound that made players look for old Les Pauls.

  31. #31
    Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    In the pocket
    Posts
    5,661

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Ginnaty View Post
    Bluesbreakers w/Clapton was the advent of the modern Les Paul sound. The sound that made players look for old Les Pauls.
    Perhaps it was for many.

    Yet it's a fact that Eric himself abandoned the sunburst Les Paul Standard in favour of the Les Paul Custom, 335 and SG after forming The Cream.

    I didn't follow his lead at the time.

    Did you?

  32. #32
    Les Paul Forum Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Lake Ontario shore
    Posts
    12,993

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Page's popularity was enormous. Zep dominated fanzines, music mags, record sales and radio. I was seriously into guitar and was playing gigs by 70. The Burst was known and used by some hipper dudes, but I saw the whole Burst thing just explode with LZ.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  33. #33
    Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    In the pocket
    Posts
    5,661

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Page's popularity was enormous. Zep dominated fanzines, music mags, record sales and radio. I was seriously into guitar and was playing gigs by 70. The Burst was known and used by some hipper dudes, but I saw the whole Burst thing just explode with LZ.
    True, but when I saw Pagey the first time he was playing a Tele. It didn't occur to me to copy him.

    This gent is responsible for my getting "an old Les Paul".





    That's what he said I should get when I asked, so I did.

    He didn't specify which model, (he played a Goldtop at the time) so I, being an impatient sort, quickly acquired a '55 Special with the finish removed (and later a mint single cut Junior whose year of manufacture I never bothered with).

    By the time I saw him again with a 'Burst, I was all set with old Les Pauls and unwilling to seek out a 'Burst myself.




    They were just used guitars, then.

  34. #34
    Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    1,004

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Page's popularity was enormous. Zep dominated fanzines, music mags, record sales and radio. I was seriously into guitar and was playing gigs by 70. The Burst was known and used by some hipper dudes, but I saw the whole Burst thing just explode with LZ.

    I still think this is still it too, for many. Coming up in the 90's Page was really the only guy I knew of in terms of the "1959 Les Paul." I was aware of Slash but figured he played any random Les Paul model plus I was a little late to the GnR crazy, lol. But, I'd transcribed/learned plenty of Clapton & ZZTop stuff without ever knowing the 'burst connection there. I knew of Duane Allman but didn't know which Les Paul's he played, didn't know who Peter Green or Paul Kossoff or many of the other guys connected with them were. In fact, I recall thinking that Spinal Tap scene was just mocking Page, I didn't realize there was a whole culture like that at the time!


    Let's put it this way, I was so late to the 'burst party the first time I heard the Beano album my initial thought was: "dude, this is the Otis Rush arrangement note for note...."

  35. #35
    Les Paul Forum Member jbzoso2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    I'm at MY HOUSE!!!!!
    Posts
    1,090

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Page's popularity was enormous. Zep dominated fanzines, music mags, record sales and radio. I was seriously into guitar and was playing gigs by 70. The Burst was known and used by some hipper dudes, but I saw the whole Burst thing just explode with LZ.

    Damn right Al!!

  36. #36
    Les Paul Forum Member Triburst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Mississippi
    Posts
    4,192

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Nigel Tunfel


  37. #37

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    The 3 Yardbird alumni (Clapton, Beck, Page) and Greeny were who I heard about playing bursts when I was growing up in the 70's. In those days "'59 Les Paul" was all that was talked about with great reverence. It was ingrained mythology.

    Funny thing, as a kid, I thought Wine Red was the iconic Les Paul finish.

  38. #38
    Les Paul Forum Member Ed Driscoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South of Dallas
    Posts
    4,232

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xpensive Wino View Post
    Perhaps it was for many.

    Yet it's a fact that Eric himself abandoned the sunburst Les Paul Standard in favour of the Les Paul Custom, 335 and SG after forming The Cream.

    I didn't follow his lead at the time.

    Did you?
    Well, sort of -- all those photos of Clapton, Keith Richards, Page, Frampton, and Fripp playing Black Beauty Customs made it seem like a viable alternative to the three-piece topped Standards in the 'Burst lacuna of the early '80s, after the Heritage-80 run and prior to the pre-Historics.
    Last edited by Ed Driscoll; 03-14-18 at 05:36 PM.

  39. #39
    Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    In the pocket
    Posts
    5,661

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Driscoll View Post
    Well, sort of -- all those photos of Clapton, Keith Richards, Page, Frampton, and Fripp playing Black Beauty Customs made it seem like a viable alternative to the three-piece topped Standards in 'Burst lacuna of the early '80s, after the Heritage-80 run and prior to the pre-Historics.
    I know what you mean. I transitioned mid-70's to a stripped '68 Custom - not because of anyone else that played one, BTW - and played it until I became a Strat addict a few years later. What fun I had with those T-tops.

  40. #40
    Les Paul Forum Member Texas Blues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    4,336

    Re: What player made 'Bursts popular?

    Gibson Les Paul fits my hand.

    I have small hands.

    Even the 50's baseball bats feel good to me

    As do the slim 60's.

    And they sound like hot redhead crazy women.

    Moaning at midnight.

    Influential real bursts have nothing to do with it.

    When I was a kid in Austin TX in the 70's and first heard "La Grange" on the radio...

    I didn't care what the guitar was.

    It was about the music.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!






i