• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD...98 LP Studio

BFTGibson

1998 Gibson LP Studio, 490r/490t, final piece of my puzzle for this year studio and playing out sessions. Goes well with My SGJ zebra pups& TV Yellow Double cut P90's.

Attachments

• 98lpa.jpg
    98lpa.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 98lp.jpg
    98lp.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 26

jbzoso2002

Very cool:dude:

I got a 96 Studio a couple months ago, I'm very happy!

Jimmy:2cool

Big Al

I don't remember dot inlay Studios from then. You sure?

BFTGibson

I don't remember dot inlay Studios from then. You sure?
I have the original paperwork , letter from Gibson after the registration of the guitar back to the owner and the Guitar shop sales receipt, with the set up height measurements. I favor the dot and no binding.

Big Al

I have the original paperwork , letter from Gibson after the registration of the guitar back to the owner and the Guitar shop sales receipt, with the set up height measurements. I favor the dot and no binding.

I own a 91 a 95 and a 200? and all have crown fingerboard inlays. I've never seen a dot board on any 98 and it wasn't an option. I remain dubious about that one being a stock 1998. It may be older or newer but I doubt it is a 1998 yom. Does it have a carved maple top? Color should be wine red, not cherry. It looks great and in excellent shape for a 20yr old.

Last edited:

Grog

This is the first Studio that I have seen like mine. Mine is also a '98 with dot fingerboard. It's a great guitar, I've been happy with it. The serial number places it made in '98.

W5qiVFal.jpg

Big Al

That is very odd. When was it purchased? Are there any model numbers in the cavities? Did you buy it in 98? Mine is ser# 93181317, not a 98 but a 91, also 92785420 a wine red 95 and 026960554 which I can't remember when I got it but it was before 2010. Could they be FSR for big box stores?

I really liked the 90's Studios and I had a few, including a 98. I shopped a bunch but the only dot neck ones were earlier models and some with those small crowns, ugh!

I'd like to know just to know, because I'd be suspicious of a dot neck 98 based on my experience. Something I noticed then is most of the Wine Red 98's I saw had beautiful fame tops!

Last edited:

Grog

I bought it used about ten years ago. The serial number is 91328386. I've never looked in the cavities. If you think it might be useful, I can.............. Do you think it might have been a special run for Guitar Center or some other store?

BFTGibson

I own a 91 a 95 and a 200? and all have crown fingerboard inlays. I've never seen a dot board on any 98 and it wasn't an option. I remain dubious about that one being a stock 1998. It may be older or newer but I doubt it is a 1998 yom. Does it have a carved maple top? Color should be wine red, not cherry. It looks great and in excellent shape for a 20yr old.
yes it is wine red, i saw a few locally, the other one was a 98 but ruby red ,it had dots, this thing is so cool the red body is slightly deeper red and the maple top is a lil lighter, it is super heavy and the 498t really fits this, i have not put this guitar down, was able to really work my Marshall amp cause i run the vol knob about 6 and then can really get it for the leads, i ran the serial with Gibson, cool thing is the owner sent in the warranty card and i have the Gibson letter head sent back to him with his name and address on it and it was registered, also the local music store did a Gibson spec set up on it as part of purchase and i have that paper dated and the original sales receipt. It sat for the last 10 years, very lucky find

SpencerD

yes it is wine red, i saw a few locally, the other one was a 98 but ruby red ,it had dots, this thing is so cool the red body is slightly deeper red and the maple top is a lil lighter, it is super heavy and the 498t really fits this, i have not put this guitar down, was able to really work my Marshall amp cause i run the vol knob about 6 and then can really get it for the leads, i ran the serial with Gibson, cool thing is the owner sent in the warranty card and i have the Gibson letter head sent back to him with his name and address on it and it was registered, also the local music store did a Gibson spec set up on it as part of purchase and i have that paper dated and the original sales receipt. It sat for the last 10 years, very lucky find

So yeah --- until this post I had some marginal interest about the OP.

Not anymore!

Big Al

I'm still confused. Were dots and crown inlays both available in 98? I remember cherry red Studio Lites and a red Studio Gem w/p90's but both had crown inlay. Did they go back to dots just in 98?

I don't know. These two are the only dot neck Studios I've seen from the 90's. A head scratcher for sure.