• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Custom Shop Historic SG 1961,1962 Reissues 2002-2016

samsdad

Do Gibson Custom Shop Or Historic 1961 and 1962 Reissues
2002-2016 Have a Long Neck Tenon? And what are the Differences
Throughout the 2002-2016 Years Are some years better More accurate
Than other Years? What are the Differences Between Burst Buckers And Custom Bucker Pickups?
Are the Magnet Different as far as the Alnico Numbers And do Burst Buckers have More
Windings Than Custom Buckers or Visa Versa?
Thanks For Any Help in Advance

Uncle Gary

Do Gibson Custom Shop Or Historic 1961 and 1962 Reissues
2002-2016 Have a Long Neck Tenon? And what are the Differences
Throughout the 2002-2016 Years Are some years better More accurate
Than other Years? What are the Differences Between Burst Buckers And Custom Bucker Pickups?
Are the Magnet Different as far as the Alnico Numbers And do Burst Buckers have More
Windings Than Custom Buckers or Visa Versa?
Thanks For Any Help in Advance

The Historic SGs have a tenon similar to the originals, which were VERY short. It's not uncommon to see original SGs from '61-'62 or so where the neck/body joint has failed due to lack of gluing surface. The Historics DO have a larger heel cap, giving a bit more gluing area than the originals, but I wouldn't call it a "long neck tenon" by any means. That said, my '06 '62 Historic is holding up just fine.

samsdad

The Historic SGs have a tenon similar to the originals, which were VERY short. It's not uncommon to see original SGs from '61-'62 or so where the neck/body joint has failed due to lack of gluing surface. The Historics DO have a larger heel cap, giving a bit more gluing area than the originals, but I wouldn't call it a "long neck tenon" by any means. That said, my '06 '62 Historic is holding up just fine.

Thanks Uncle G
Are the Later Versions 2013 and up the same as well?

renderit

Yup. Historic type tenon. This is a 2015 with WildWood underwound CustomBuckers. It sounds great. Alnico 2 unless I am mistaken. Awesome beasties.
36333817421_880c75eeef_k.jpg

samsdad

Yup. Historic type tenon. This is a 2015 with WildWood underwound CustomBuckers. It sounds great. Alnico 2 unless I am mistaken. Awesome beasties.
36333817421_880c75eeef_k.jpg
Thats A Real Beauty
i prefer SG's In Red with the long Vibrola
Is yours a 61 or a 62 Reissue?
Hows The Neck Feel? it is Thin Like a 1960 V3 Neck
On A Traditional Les Paul?

Tommy Tourbus

Technically the stoptail indicates a '62, not sure what Gibson is actually calling it

houndog31

Technically the stoptail indicates a '62, not sure what Gibson is actually calling it

The Historic/Custom SG reissues through the years are not actually true to year/spec. There are a few variations but the usual model is fitted with vibrola tailpiece yet has "Les Paul" engraved on the truss rod cover, toggling between '61 and '64 specs. They've also made some stoptail models with otherwise '61 ish features, again not really to spec. Great guitars though, I have a 2006 just under 7lbs and feels amazing.

renderit

Thats A Real Beauty
i prefer SG's In Red with the long Vibrola
Is yours a 61 or a 62 Reissue?
Hows The Neck Feel? it is Thin Like a 1960 V3 Neck
On A Traditional Les Paul?

R1, it was a Wildwood special run 'Wildwood Spec' with the underwound Custombuckers. Neck is narrow across the FB with a nice depth so it would be a bit heftier than most but I would call it more of a 'medium C'. Feels great. They had a red one at the time. This one caught my eye though as I never had a white one. I've had plenty of reds in old ones as I couldn't afford the Pauls much back in the day (a few Customs though) so I rocked SG's mostly. Just getting back into them. A little easier on your back and tone to die for. The do a hard rock thang that LP's don't do as well...

36303068302_9a59f0ebd9_b.jpg

samsdad

R1, it was a Wildwood special run 'Wildwood Spec' with the underwound Custombuckers. Neck is narrow across the FB with a nice depth so it would be a bit heftier than most but I would call it more of a 'medium C'. Feels great. They had a red one at the time. This one caught my eye though as I never had a white one. I've had plenty of reds in old ones as I couldn't afford the Pauls much back in the day (a few Customs though) so I rocked SG's mostly. Just getting back into them. A little easier on your back and tone to die for. The do a hard rock thang that LP's don't do as well...

36303068302_9a59f0ebd9_b.jpg
20 plus years ago i had a white 62 SG Special that was turning to a Brownish Color
They put a lot of paint on those white guitars I think Wildwood Has a Nice selection But they Are
Overpriced for my Budget and don't seem to budge on price in my Talks with them
E bay has 5 Pages of SG Custom Shop and Historic SG's all From Japan Why So Many?
And why buy an SG From Japan and have it sent to the USA?? When there Available Here?

Gino753

Sorry to ignite an old thread,but i came across this topic as i was struggling to ,date a Gibson standard historic SG i am interested in and the shop is holding it for me.It is listed as a 2016 Gibson Standard historic SG, with the Maestro Vibrola.

serial number 062982 i have looked this up on a few different places and it comes up as a 2006, however i tried one of these that is listed as a 2016 and has the Black hardcover style COA, and even that showed to be a 2006.On Gibson website it says that the case that comes with the 2016 is the “Brown Reissue”? But this one im looking at shows the older style black case with burgundy interior.As well as the guitar that has the hard cover COA