LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Les Paul Forum Member CBRmatt600's Avatar

Re: Banker Builds Guitars!

Quote Originally Posted by Pellman73 View Post
    I've got not one but two Ronin guitars now and I can attest to the spectacular tone of Redwood

maybe I'm tripping but both guitars resonate and you can really feel them against your body and in your hands more than other guitars

again, might be tripping

but i"m sold on redwood!!!
    Youíre definitely not, I think the same thing. It is a very tightly grained wood that seems to have a ton of resonance. I am surprised it is not used more frequently.
    1953 Les Paul Custom
    1957 Les Paul Junior
    Way too many others to list...
    Follow my repairs and custom builds: http://instagram.com/mrbankercustom

Zactly what I wanted- a little redder than the red oxide.
    The end is beginning. Too cool.

Banker does TV Yellow. Er Yeller they call it here is Forsyth Co.

Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corpse View Post

Zactly what I wanted- a little redder than the red oxide.
    The end is beginning. Too cool.

I'm sorry I just had to do this

Top coat with scraped binding

Side shots

Another top shot- love the mahogany peeking through

The whole magilla

Yes Ren- it's a close match for Matt's stove- but he really got the color I was after. This weekend frets and neck shaping, and the oil finish- which will darken it a bit. The board colors and streaking is great. I think we are waiting on pick ups from Tyson. They are as meticulous as Matt is.

The pick guard will take it over the top.

Clearcoat punches up the colors. This is just the first one- several more to follow- "It will be like glass" is the quote.

Oiled board with clay fret markers incl Bankers TM 40 cal SW 12th fret inlay

Medium jumbo fretwire- a little more modern take on the old standard.

Oiled board with clay fret markers incl Bankers TM 40 cal SW 12th fret inlay

Medium jumbo fretwire- a little more modern take on the old standard.

looks awesome

Indeed

The neck- randomly picked board if you recall; a dark piece of sinker that ultimately broke when being shaped. Matt was able to salvage a full shape from the remaining blank- it was very a handsome piece of stock. I am surprised between Matt and I we didn't get a shot of the raw board. You can see the rough cut neck on the first page.

It yielded this candy-stripe effect which is, to me, stunning. A friend expressed a concern that it might cause the neck to twist, but I am not too terribly worried.
    1) The neck has a steel truss rod and two composite reinforcement strips running parallel
    B) It sat and dried for months/years after being in a river for 100 years (so they tell us)
    3) The guitar has a lifetime warranty and Matt is at least 10 years younger then I am.

This shows the neck and the "body will be finished like glass"- thing. The neck looks so nice I might have Matt bolt it on backwards, and hang the thing as art.

Shape is a 57 LP JR "D" at the top that tapers down to a "C" by the 10th fret or so.

Warping is always a concern when making a bolt on style neck out of a softer wood like mahogany, which is why Leo used maple. The reasons you stated above are why I donít worry much about it- a 3/8Ē wide aluminum truss rod plus two carbon fiber rods are installed under the fretboard to insure against that problem. Iíve yet to see one twist or warp. This old wood is pretty stable to start with, far more so than a flame or quilt maple neck. And if for some reason it ever does, Iíll make you a new one!
    1953 Les Paul Custom
    1957 Les Paul Junior

The top outdoors after four coats of vintage nitrocellulose. The color is just what I had in mind.

The back is the stuff that could inspire hours of intense meditation- I tried to zoom in a bit in the second pic and it only shows a hint of it. The zillions of tiny grain going on- there's a word like medullaries that spellcheck keeps vetoing. Someone can help me out.

It has to remain a hostage there. Some lame excuse like"the pick ups aren't here". Hmm. And "the lacquer has to cure".
    Fucking craftsmanship.

Here is a composite of all the bobs so far. You can see the neck pic, where the lacquer demarcs and the oiled finish begins. Little piss shiver there. Did I already say I always wanted a guitar with an oiled neck?
    Last edited by corpse; 05-24-18 at 07:30 AM.

looking awesome so far

Thank you. Pick ups shipped. Lacquer has to harden. 3 weeks out. Tempted to take a drive up there but I am going to hold out. Check out the Instagram. No moss grows on Matt.

Ah eff it. Here it is. A Loller Mini-humbucker and a Tyson P90. Just a smoking guitar. Dig the fine tortoise binding. Love the knobs off a junky old radio. I need to get a shot of the 1/32" fading cut on the cut-away side for the neck pocket... don't sneeze Matt. The neck join is identical to Matt's '57 Jr- heel, angle, everything. The tone is just a RCH different. Has a great bark with a chewey thing going on- 57 Jr with something modern thrown in. Clay dots. Look at the color on the board...too cool.
    The tele build is cool, but it is this one that has me intrigued. How much does something like this go for and what turn around time?

He's not a sponsor and this isn't spam so I don't want to get into numbers. The tele is a bolt on neck and the specials are glued in- so I am thinking some extra love there. Reach out to Matt- he would love to build you a guitar. He really makes the process fun. I feel a jones for one of those as well.
    Pick ups can screw up the process if they are some odd thing.
    About fourteen weeks total. Three to four for the process to start and ten to complete the build and cure.
    Last edited by corpse; 05-29-18 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RocknRollShakeUp View Post
    The tele build is cool, but it is this one that has me intrigued. How much does something like this go for and what turn around time?
    Shoot me a pm or an email to bankercustomguitars@gmail.com and Iíd be happy to go over options/pricing/timing with you
    1953 Les Paul Custom
    1957 Les Paul Junior

thanks Fellers

All the guitars in this thread looks awesome !!

Do you do aged/worn finishes too ?

An aged black single cut a la Neil Y. would be epic
    Billy said, "Let me out. I don't want to be anywhere near a fucking banjo."

See page one. Shows a tele. Really nice aging is available.

Les Paul Forum Member CoyotesGator's Avatar
    The Institute for the Very, Very, Very Nervous

Wow!

As I see it, I serve the beat. Groove is everything.

Big Al

The fat lady is warming up.
    The neck after several coats of oil- the finish almost matches the lacquered headstock.

More evident in this picture.

My first guitar with center hole tuners. I am very excited about the headstock color and grain. Matt says the neck shape is dead-on and very comfortable. Apparantly waiting anxiously does not speed lacquer curing time.

All electronics are on board- I am keeping his electronics and wiring scheme hush-hush here. Little lumps of orange with wires protruding into various CTS pots and three position switches.
    Last edited by corpse; 06-04-18 at 07:13 AM.

And for those of you who have been drooling over the Redwood top- this one appears almost finished- and spectacular!

The fat lady is warming up.
    The neck after several coats of oil- the finish almost matches the lacquered headstock.

More evident in this picture.

My first guitar with center hole tuners. I am very excited about the headstock color and grain. Matt says the neck shape is dead-on and very comfortable. Apparantly waiting anxiously does not speed lacquer curing time.

All electronics are on board- I am keeping his electronics and wiring scheme hush-hush here. Little lumps of orange with wires protruding into various CTS pots and three position switches.
    Yep saw it on insta... Iím getting excited too!

I am getting pretty excited myself to play this one. I love the way that neck feels.

Here is another in this same batch that I polished out today. It is getting some relic treatment, mainly just lacquer checking. This body is so pretty I almost hate to do anything to it.

1953 Les Paul Custom
    1957 Les Paul Junior

Just the nut and PG to go. Like the man said- "the top will be like glass". I am going to age it like Big Al. The neck is still loose.
    The control package is reversed to do swells. Keef never did any fookin' swells so it will get flipped around, but the volume will be on the extreme right. Good wid dat.
    I was very happy with the price until Matt told me "Hey corpse, the pole pieces are extra"- so I am going without pole pieces... LOL
    PU's should be in soon.
    I don't know about everyone, but with something like this pending I get very jazzed and distracted and find it hard to play at all. Just cannot wait.

Someone had asked about aging earlier. Here is a little that Iíve done on this new buildg over the last week.

1953 Les Paul Custom
    1957 Les Paul Junior

More aging and a custom cut tortoise celluloid pickguard on another of the guitars in this batch.

1953 Les Paul Custom
    1957 Les Paul Junior

Aged headstock and semi hemispherical fret ends on this guitar.

1953 Les Paul Custom
    1957 Les Paul Junior

Matt had a very translucent tortoise material, and with a cream layer underneath, it really pops. Very "tarty" look here. Rough and ready. And it looks great with the headstock.

The PG is cut to accept the control cover. The attention to detail is superb.

This guitar is named after my Mom- she is alot of fun and we are very close. But not a tart.

Two full rez camera shots of the back- just some gorgeous wood. The Damascus heel plate looks bitchin'.

Close up of the tight neck fit. You can see the difference in the finish of the oiled neck and the lacquer on the body.

Dressed frets and carved nut now on board. Really nice hand carve job on the (deceased I was assured) calf leg-bone. They didn't just lop off the little beefs gam and dress it up for my guitar I was relieved to find out.

The neck has the slightest bit of relief- and "plays like butta" I am told. Slinky. I like slinky.

8.4 pounds total weight without the pick ups which are finding their way here on a three-legged calf I am told. They are called '57 Bankers as the neck has a lower wind than Tyson's regular P90. I live close to Mr Banker so "delivery' is a 20 minute drive for me. A couple from this lot are done- the Junior (Midnight Special???) is going to be on stage with Blackberry Smoke and some other Atl -area Playa's before going to its new owner. The T-style ala Micawber appears to be completed as well- some nice aging on those- i am going with showroom new.
    Relief is set at 3/64- I asked Matt to back off a little for some slide action.
    Last edited by corpse; 06-11-18 at 06:46 PM.

I keep getting texts about what a great playing guitar this is and the action is superb- superlative after superlative.

Did you ever get a phone call from a girlfriend at a party- she is barely paying attention and she is laughing and male voices in the background - close enough to the phone so you can hear them?

It's like that...

Should be done Friday.

LOL

Pics later. I got the guitar yesterday noontime.
    Exceeded all expectations. Light weight, super construction, great finish.
    Sounded great at the studio at Bankers but sounded equally great back here in the bunker. That really concerned me- his studio is a great place to try them but it was for naught. It loves both of my brown Fenders.
    The low wind neck PU has tremendous range, and the bridge has a real authoritativeness I look for in certain leads and everything Zeppelin. Massive thick tone. The middle position is a whole new thing- and the tone controls are very interactive.
    The neck is large at the first few frets, larger than I wanted- but it is very comfortable and it tapers to perfection. It is a bit flatter towards the body and just perfect. It seems thicker near the headstock and a wide C starts between the seventh to the body.
    The oil finish really is a great feel.
    This was a great process- Matt was great to work with. He shares our lust for tone and feel. But going through this custom build process with any builder is something to be experienced.
    Last edited by corpse; 06-17-18 at 07:36 AM.

All finished at last- lots to discover about this fine instrument. It is a wild piece- that's what I had in mind- nothing refined. And that's the surface- the playability and sound are anything but.

I told Matt this was his website money shot.

In Banker's den-of-iniquity. We spent about an hour here playing and listening- to my guitar and a number of others he recently completed. There are six or so on hand. I got to dig in on the White Special- those are something. The neck is all Gibson. But i don't want to digress. Ren will do that.

This is where Matt started- the pic of the board from the wood vendors site.

Thanks for joining me on this journey- it was just a blast. Matt is a great co-conspiritor because he has the EXACT same lust we do- he has an uncanny ability to put the two- vision and execution- into the wood.
    Last edited by corpse; 06-16-18 at 10:36 AM.

Thanks for the love brother, enjoyed it. Outside of playing and collecting, building is my true love and Iím ectremely grateful for folks that put enough faith in me to embark on this process.
    1953 Les Paul Custom
    1957 Les Paul Junior

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12