• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

69 Les Paul Standard origonal tobacco sunburst

dguilmore

LXdVBrAaB8zyyyeS6
In 1982 I bought a 69 Les Paul Standard tobacco sunburst that a friend brought to Tennessee from California in 1979. Could this been a custom order? It was in perfect condition and had Dimarzio Distortion pickups, Grovers & a solid brass bridge. This was stolen in 1990 in Knoxville TN. Has anyone seen this guitar? All I have are Pics and memories. I would've NEVER sold it.

I finally dug up some OLD pics of this guitar. It had a long neck tenon, ABR-1 style bridge screwed directly into the top with no studs, and no volute. If anyone in the Knoxville TN area has seen it please let me know. It is probably in someone's collection. https://photos.app.goo.gl/LXdVBrAaB8zyyyeS6

Last edited:

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
In 1982 I bought a 69 Les Paul Standard tobacco sunburst that a friend brought to Tennessee from California in 1979. Could this been a custom order? It was in perfect condition and had Dimarzio Distortion pickups, Grovers & a solid brass bridge. This was stolen in 1990 in Knoxville TN. Has anyone seen this guitar? All I have are Pics and memories. I would've NEVER sold it.

Was the top routed to fit the DiMarzios? :hmm

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Not likely built before 1974 or so.

Wilko

There are a small handful that seem to be original, that still means that it's not likely. Could be, but not likely.

Progrocker111

Very unlikely a 69. :hmm

Try to post here some photos, or at least serial number.

Wilko

of course it would be cool if it was!

dguilmore

Wow it's great that everyone responded, I will try to upload some pics tomorrow but they're all pre 1990. Now you know why EVERY DAY I SCREAM and CRY!!!! I never did write the serial number down but it started with 9 and this guitar had no volute.

Progrocker111

I never did write the serial number down but it started with 9 and this guitar had no volute.

Interesting, cause 9xxxxx serials were used since beginning of 1970. I dont know about a 69 with 9xxxxx serial. But in case it was a 70, even an very early one (serial in 90xxxx range), it should have at least some small so-called protovolute. :hmm

SpencerD

Interesting, cause 9xxxxx serials were used since beginning of 1970. I dont know about a 69 with 9xxxxx serial. But in case it was a 70, even an very early one (serial in 90xxxx range), it should have at least some small so-called protovolute. :hmm

Dude!

"Protovolute" is the coolest non word I have ever heard of! And I know what it means too.....life as a guitar dork is the only life I know....sad and funny :dude::peace2

moonweasel

They are super super super super super super super rare. Beyond rare, but they do exist. I was a skeptic having "grown up" on the LPF, but after I received a few actually legit looking candidates via email, I started to wonder. Then I was able to confirm the one that was for sale in Japan. Pretty cool!