The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Early 1968 LPC with 899XXX serial

    First I would like to say thanks to all who share information on this forum. I find it to be a great resource for all things Les Paul and beyond.

    I have a very early 68LPC that according to Gibson was shipped June 07 1968. I was hoping that somebody here would know what the deal is with these pre-Namm 68s. Were these destined for the NAMM show? By any chance does anybody have the ledger that would cover this time period? Any info would be very much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lost in the Ozarks [again]
    Posts
    42,570

    Re: Early 1968 LPC with 899XXX serial

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchops View Post

    I have a very early 68LPC that according to Gibson was shipped June 07 1968. I was hoping that somebody here would know what the deal is with these pre-Namm 68s. Were these destined for the NAMM show? By any chance does anybody have the ledger that would cover this time period? Any info would be very much appreciated.
    Whoever told you it was shipped on June 7th would obviously have to have access to the ledgers. And, they would also know where it was shipped to .... a dealer or the NAMM show.
    So, ask them where it was shipped to, and you should have your answer.

    Incidentally, what was the date [and location] of the 1968 NAMM show?
    Pauls to the walls!

    Hüter der Flammen!

    PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

  3. #3

    Re: Early 1968 LPC with 899XXX serial

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    Whoever told you it was shipped on June 7th would obviously have to have access to the ledgers. And, they would also know where it was shipped to .... a dealer or the NAMM show.
    So, ask them where it was shipped to, and you should have your answer.

    Incidentally, what was the date [and location] of the 1968 NAMM show?

    Thanks for the response Tom,

    I received the shipping date from a Gibson Rep after emailing them the serial number. Unfortunately they were unable to provide any more info, i.e. where the guitar was shipped. Furthermore, as we all know, they won't provide a scan of the ledgers anymore. I suppose that there is a good chance that it will remain a mystery.

    1968 NAMM was in Chicago June 23-27

    Thanks again.

  4. #4
    Les Paul Forum Member moonweasel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    On the road again...
    Posts
    9,427

    Re: Early 1968 LPC with 899XXX serial

    Franken,

    I have seen 899xxx serials for Customs. Very early. No way to know if it was destined to be shown at NAMM, they wouldn't need more than one or two to show off. Statistically, it is likely just a regular-production ---- badass, super-rare/early LSLPC. Cool!

    Tom, unfortunately, the ledger only contains the date, model type, and serial number.

  5. #5
    Les Paul Forum Member AtomEve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Land of the free, home of the brave.
    Posts
    4,652

    Re: Early 1968 LPC with 899XXX serial

    You may find some of this information on my 1968 LPC helpful. http://www.atomeveeclipse.com/guitars/6869LesPauls.html

    Congrats on your guitar! They are great examples of Gibson craftsmanship. I own the earliest 1968 Les Paul Custom shipped based on the ledger records at Gibson. I was told on the phone that three were in the ledger as shipped (left the plant) prior to NAMM with mine being the earliest. Yours would be one of those three. I don't know of any records that confirm which guitars were actually at NAMM that year but it would be one or all of the three mentioned.

    Cheers,
    Bryan

  6. #6

    Re: Early 1968 LPC with 899XXX serial

    Hi guys. I found this thread yesterday while looking for information on my late 60’s Les Paul Custom. I’ve owned this guitar since 1976. When I found it at a garage sale in Ann Arbor, MI, it was leaning against a car in the driveway alongside a stripped 1968 Fender P bass...I bought the Les Paul on the spot and asked them to hold the bass for me while I tried to come up with the additional money. They did, and I still have both!

    Well, the LPC was already heavily played. The tuners were changed to Grovers, I think it had a brass nut, the back had moderate buckle rash, the strap buttons had been fiddled with, the neck finish showed some wood from palm wear, and someone had scraped off the already yellowed clear lacquer over the peghead split diamond and Gibson inlays! Not to mention the heavy finish checking throughout and the written in marker initials “JC” in the buckle wear spot on the back! So we are not talking about a mint, factory original guitar.

    Fast forward to sometime in the early 80’s. I was living in Kalamazoo, and I decided to get it refretted by a respected ex Gibson employee, Pete Moreno. Unfortunately, when I picked it up, my guitar had beautiful, perfect, new jumbo frets...and a rebound and oversprayed neck...even then, I was bummed.
    I found a PAF (Nickle) and installed it in the neck position...the original Bridge pu is still there. I liked the variety of tones this setup offerred, and the guitar remains one of my favorites.


    So here’s the twist...Serial number is 899536

    This always confused me...no volute, big beefy one piece neck, one piece body with maple cap, no made in USA stamp...the features all seemed consistent with a 1968 RI LPC.
    but it was the info in this thread that confirmed what I had believed...and even more!!!

    So, wow!!!
    Last edited by Hidesert; 11-23-19 at 07:12 AM.

  7. #7
    Les Paul Forum Member Reno_1ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Lancashire, England
    Posts
    656

    Re: Early 1968 LPC with 899XXX serial

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidesert View Post
    Hi guys. I found this thread yesterday while looking for information on my late 60’s Les Paul Custom. I’ve owned this guitar since 1976. When I found it at a garage sale in Ann Arbor, MI, it was leaning against a car in the driveway alongside a stripped 1968 Fender P bass...I bought the Les Paul on the spot and asked them to hold the bass for me while I tried to come up with the additional money. They did, and I still have both!

    Well, the LPC was already heavily played. The tuners were changed to Grovers, I think it had a brass nut, the back had moderate buckle rash, the strap buttons had been fiddled with, the neck finish showed some wood from palm wear, and someone had scraped off the already yellowed clear lacquer over the peghead split diamond and Gibson inlays! Not to mention the heavy finish checking throughout and the written in marker initials “JC” in the buckle wear spot on the back! So we are not talking about a mint, factory original guitar.

    Fast forward to sometime in the early 80’s. I was living in Kalamazoo, and I decided to get it refretted by a respected ex Gibson employee, Pete Moreno. Unfortunately, when I picked it up, my guitar had beautiful, perfect, new jumbo frets...and a rebound and oversprayed neck...even then, I was bummed.
    I found a PAF (Nickle) and installed it in the neck position...the original Bridge pu is still there. I liked the variety of tones this setup offerred, and the guitar remains one of my favorites.


    So here’s the twist...Serial number is 899536

    This always confused me...no volute, big beefy one piece neck, one piece body with maple cap, no made in USA stamp...the features all seemed consistent with a 1968 RI LPC.
    but it was the info in this thread that confirmed what I had believed...and even more!!!

    So, wow!!!
    Its a crime that you posted this without a picture of this awesome sounding guitar ! We want to see !
    56/59 LP Standard (Conversion)
    68 Les Paul Standard (conversion)
    69 Les Paul Standard
    94 LP Standard
    73 SG Standard
    91 Explorer

  8. #8

    Re: Early 1968 LPC with 899XXX serial

    I would like to post pics of my 1968 LPC but can’t quite figure out what to do...even though I am registered, I am told “you may not post attachments”?
    I am not sure why.

  9. #9
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8

    Re: Early 1968 LPC with 899XXX serial

    I would love to see the pics as well. Question for anyone reading.... I have a 2012 CC # 6 (Mike Slub's CC) in mint shape and have a chance to trade for a late 68 - early 69 LPC. The 68/69 is in great shape but has newer (70's) tuners and pickups. Should i trade for the cool old wood or keep the CC # 6? thanks for any advice.
    RC67

  10. #10

    Re: Early 1968 LPC with 899XXX serial

    Still cannot post pics🙁

  11. #11
    Les Paul Forum Member 65Firebird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    NSW Australia
    Posts
    56

    Re: Early 1968 LPC with 899XXX serial

    I would also like to see some photos!


  12. #12
    Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,944

    Re: Early 1968 LPC with 899XXX serial

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidesert View Post
    Still cannot post pics🙁
    Host the photos and embed the link. Although you are not suggesting it, this is not a fault of the LPF. Google photos, Imgur, Dropbox even...

    Oh, also keen for photos.
    Otherwise known as Grant.

  13. #13

    Re: Early 1968 LPC with 899XXX serial

    Ok, guys, hope this link does the trick!

    https://photos.app.goo.gl/EUZidbJzsewf3uWbA

  14. #14
    Les Paul Forum Member 65Firebird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    NSW Australia
    Posts
    56

    Re: Early 1968 LPC with 899XXX serial

    Thanks for the photos, sweet guitar!

  15. #15
    Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,944

    Re: Early 1968 LPC with 899XXX serial

    Oh yes, very nice!
    Otherwise known as Grant.

  16. #16

    Re: Early 1968 LPC with 899XXX serial

    I own 899623

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!



i