• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Please Help Me Pick A Fuzz For My Rig!!!!

yeltneb

Hi guys!

I have a Les Paul with Montys Paf pickups that I run into a Cornell Romany Plus / 10 w Vintage tweed style amp. I’m looking for a vintage-style low-medium gain fuzz that will work well with this rig. Nothing too aggressive, I think I tend to prefer creamy germanium type sounds. Have been looking at tonebenders and fuzzfaces but I know not all of them play nice with humbuckers and get muddy etc.

Ideally id take my gear to a shop and try a few but I live out in the sticks and it isn’t really practical

Everything is subjective etc but ideas appreciated :)

Standard58

I really like the Joe Bonamassa germanium fuzzface with my Les Paul. It's very creamy and not too sharp. But if you turn the fuzz all the way up you also get quite an angry fuzz sound. It reacts very sensitive to the type of humbuckers in your guitar, IMO it sounds much smoother and defined with custombuckers than with burstbuckers. You'll never get that real clean Hendrix response with it but it cleans up quite well too.

It feels kinda awkward to praise signature gear with my first post :)
<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/95d1b09f/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/95d1b09f/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

renderit

I really like the Wampler Velvet Fuzz. It is the creamiest I have found. I have a pile of fuzzes and the germanium ones are atrociously unpredictable. But I also find that not unlike boosters each persons taste in fuzzes is different.

Middle bottom row.

35716913363_aff881f91b_b.jpg

Stephens

I really like the Joe Bonamassa germanium fuzzface with my Les Paul. It's very creamy and not too sharp. But if you turn the fuzz all the way up you also get quite an angry fuzz sound. It reacts very sensitive to the type of humbuckers in your guitar, IMO it sounds much smoother and defined with custombuckers than with burstbuckers. You'll never get that real clean Hendrix response with it but it cleans up quite well too.

It feels kinda awkward to praise signature gear with my first post :)
<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/95d1b09f/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/95d1b09f/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

+1

I've had the Bonamassa Fuzz Face since they were first released. Absolutely the perfect Fuzz for a Les Paul. Smooth/Medium Fuzz that is really expressive and pairs well with single coils too.

P.Walker

For me personally, I would never do traditional fuzz faces with Les Pauls. Strat yes, les pauls no. About the only acceptable one for me was an analogman bc183 silicon.

A civil war muff on the other hand...and I'm not even a big fan of muff.:)

Has the fuzzy, but the bottom is tighter than the smiley face. Cuts better than the ff too.

The only reason JB fuzz faces work well is because the gain is criminally low even for a germanium fuzz. Analogman and others would typically discard those transistors for how low gainy they are. Works well into a loud marshall because it's low gain, not because it's a germanium fuzz face.

Thundermtn

Last spring I went on a fuzz pedal shootout in a place the stocked probably 700+ pedals.

I was using a rig that very closely mirrors what you are running. I played A LOT of fuzz pedals from what those guys suggested as the best in stock for two hours and these were my two favorites. None of the stuff I went in there wanting to try from reading about on the net even made the top 5.

https://www.earthquakerdevices.com/spires/

https://www.matthewseffects.com/products/the-whaler

P.Walker

Last spring I went on a fuzz pedal shootout in a place the stocked probably 700+ pedals.

I was using a rig that very closely mirrors what you are running. I played A LOT of fuzz pedals from what those guys suggested as the best in stock for two hours and these were my two favorites. None of the stuff I went in there wanting to try from reading about on the net even made the top 5.

https://www.earthquakerdevices.com/spires/

https://www.matthewseffects.com/products/the-whaler

That is the best way.

Normally I'd be very conflicted because I'm a sucker for traditionalist setups and pedals done "right," but in this case, since traditional fuzz faces and les pauls is well...a combination that sometimes needs help, a frankenstein-tuned fuzz such as those you tested might be best for the tone :)

Classic

The BMF Electric Sunshine sounds great with humbuckers. Scott makes a good range of fuzzes that work well with Humbuckers. Marc Ford is an avid fan.

yeltneb

Thanks again everyone I will be checking all these out! I just borrowed a DOD Carcosa from a friend which isn’t what I originally had in mind but the controls seem so versatile that I’ve been able to get quite a few tones out of it that I really like so that’s another contender :yah

Monroe

I'll bet Analogman has a SunFace that would fit your needs.

TM1

I've tried a bunch and ended up with the Ramble FX "Twin Bender" and Stu's unit.

Triburst

I've tried a bunch and ended up with the Ramble FX "Twin Bender" and Stu's unit.

I like that one, too, Don. It's on my board.

Renderit mentioned the Germainium ones were unpredictable, but the little trim pot on the side of these (made to be turned by a guitar pick) makes it "predictable" to bring the Russian-made Germanium transistors into perfect tone. The only downside is that mine likes to be first in line on the pedalboard. Like the original Tonebenders it copies, it does not like a buffered signal, like if it's after a Boss pedal (even my TU2 tuner).

My second favorite is the Big Muff Pi Germanium. It sounds almost as good, can go anywhere on the board, and has a "distortion" side as well as a "fuzz" side. But it's a double-wide pedal. I didn't care for the "Germanium Distortion," so the RambleFX made the cut since it's smaller and allows me to have another pedal.