• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Can a mojo axe fitted 52 play as well as a 54+ ?

Patek

I had the guitar refretted, the original frets were gone. No issue with playing hard. Double sided tape would cure that

Thanks for that

not sure what you mean in regards to double sided tape?

Thanks

Gibsongt

My Mojo tailpiece came with two Allen screws that you can use in place of the regular flathead screws. This helps to make it more stable and prevents it from moving. My top was not pristine, so I was not worried if it left a mark. Even if it did, it would be in the same place as the factory screws. The Mojo is very stable. My 53 takes a beating and stays in tune, pretty much like my Tuneomatic and stoptail Les Paul's!

Patek

My Mojo tailpiece came with two Allen screws that you can use in place of the regular flathead screws. This helps to make it more stable and prevents it from moving. My top was not pristine, so I was not worried if it left a mark. Even if it did, it would be in the same place as the factory screws. The Mojo is very stable. My 53 takes a beating and stays in tune, pretty much like my Tuneomatic and stoptail Les Paul's!

Thanks man !!!!

i asked the tech to put it on using those too so it bites into the top a little. The top is prestine however as you say, it’s hidden under the original piece anyway should it be switched back.

Patek

Thanks again for all the helpful replies guys.

I cancelled the order, just in the nick of time as it happens (thank goodness the mojoaxe had to be imported from the USA and spent some time in customs!!!); basically the seller just yesterday had a 53 (54 spec) Goldtop come in. it was (is) over my original budget (by a considerable amount..) but actually, it was still less than i've seen anywhere else in Europe from the likes of London, Paris, Germany.... too many boxes were ticked with me and i could not let it go; everything original down to each and every screw, apart from a re-fret with bigger frets, perfect! the 52 was a lightweight 8.3lb, but this 53 is 7.49 lb !! amazing! i've really wanted an ultra light LP. The finish is not as mint as the 52 but its got the perfect patina that makes it playable without worrying about it, which is more my cup of tea. its got a sick carve, chunky neck, all 54 appointments like a modern neck angle. COULD NOT LET THIS GO! the store did a deal with me and kindly transferred my balance across from the 52 and i paid them the extra over, and now its mine!! new thread to be created shortly...

marshall1987

I can appreciate the fact that you can install the Mojo Axe trapeze tailpiece/bridge on a '52 or '53 Les and modify a guitar with an awkward bridge into an instrument with much improved playability.

But I'm not convinced that such a guitar will play and sound as good as a '54 Les Paul with a stop-tailpiece. I haven't played one of these guitars so my comments are not supported by first hand experience. And this is in no way intended to disparage those who have installed these bridges on their guitars.

In a nutshell, I just don't see how this tailpiece/bridge can provide adequate down-force or coupling with the maple top. At the bridge there is no string pressure directed downwards into the maple top.

The shortcoming with this tailpiece/bridge design is that it couples directly with the body of the guitar near the strap lock, and not the maple top, unlike the '54 Les Paul. There is minimal or negligible coupling with the maple top and the guitar's strings. I believe the later stop-tailpiece, and/or, tune-o-matic designs are vastly superior.

Lastly, the 4 degree pitch of the neck in the '54 - '60 Les Paul Standard models provides much better playability over the 1 or 2 degree pitch on the '52 and '53 models.

Just my $0.02. Again....not intending to disparage any guitar owners who have installed this modification. Enjoy your guitars and rock on. :applaude

Gibsongt

I can appreciate the fact that you can install the Mojo Axe trapeze tailpiece/bridge on a '52 or '53 Les and modify a guitar with an awkward bridge into an instrument with much improved playability.

But I'm not convinced that such a guitar will play and sound as good as a '54 Les Paul with a stop-tailpiece. I haven't played one of these guitars so my comments are not supported by first hand experience. And this is in no way intended to disparage those who have installed these bridges on their guitars.

In a nutshell, I just don't see how this tailpiece/bridge can provide adequate down-force or coupling with the maple top. At the bridge there is no string pressure directed downwards into the maple top.

The shortcoming with this tailpiece/bridge design is that it couples directly with the body of the guitar near the strap lock, and not the maple top, unlike the '54 Les Paul. There is minimal or negligible coupling with the maple top and the guitar's strings. I believe the later stop-tailpiece, and/or, tune-o-matic designs are vastly superior.

Lastly, the 4 degree pitch of the neck in the '54 - '60 Les Paul Standard models provides much better playability over the 1 or 2 degree pitch on the '52 and '53 models.

Just my $0.02. Again....not intending to disparage any guitar owners who have installed this modification. Enjoy your guitars and rock on. :applaude

I am fortunate to own the 3 of guitars you mention, so I will share my $.02. My 53 has a Mojo tailpiece. My 54 is a wraptail (and now has a Mojo WT because it intonates better). Both of these guitars play and sound great. Last year, my luthier put new frets on both guitars, and they are set up identical. No two guitars are ever quite the same, but these two play and sound similar. The 56 with a Tunematic has the original frets which are a little low for me, so that guitar does play different than the others. Obviously, the 56 with a Tunematic is the better design, but I like them all. I think my 53 plays and sounds as good as my 54! The 54 and 56 look better! Rock on!

MapleFlame

I too, have 52, 54, 56 and 57 Goldtops. They are all great guitars. You can have 10 of each and all may sound different, maybe some better, some similar. But the trap mod tailpiece gets the job done.

agogetr

i also have all the variations and in my opinion the 52/3 trapeze goldtop is about the best deal in the vintage market today.the pickups are killer, i put a glasser bridge on one of mine and it brought the action down perfectly!people say 'well the neck is set kind of flat' and i have said' have you looked at most strats?' !my all gold is next for glassers bridge. i love playing my 52 to no end.gc has one right now for 14.somthing k. how much better can it get!
I too, have 52, 54, 56 and 57 Goldtops. They are all great guitars. You can have 10 of each and all may sound different, maybe some better, some similar. But the trap mod tailpiece gets the job done.