• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1957 Pots - Solid shaft?

mipstoo

Hi,

I have my eye on a pot rig from 1957, according to the seller all original.
However, the pots are all 4 solid shafts (I've heard that for earlier 50's this could be the case, even a mix) and the codes on the pots clearly state 500k but no C2.

Can anybody help me out?
Thanks

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Hi,

I have my eye on a pot rig from 1957, according to the seller all original.
However, the pots are all 4 solid shafts (I've heard that for earlier 50's this could be the case, even a mix) and the codes on the pots clearly state 500k but no C2.

Can anybody help me out?
Thanks

Does the seller say where these pots came from?
I have never heard of any 1957 Gibson Les Pauls with solid shaft pots, and I doubt they exist.

mipstoo

Does the seller say where these pots came from?
I have never heard of any 1957 Gibson Les Pauls with solid shaft pots, and I doubt they exist.
Yes, that was what I was thinking as well...
Seller has answered my question, should come out of an Espanada. It was advertised as a "Vintage original Gibson harness from 1957". But like I said, I've seen solid shafts on earlier 50's but never on 57's. And all were C2... It's the C2 that bothers me the most, I want the correct taper.

The Shifter

Is it possible that Silvertone used a similar wiring harness for the Espanada, but with different value pots?

I think this was the case when people were selling the pots out of 3 pickup Kay Speed Demons as "period" correct for early 60's Strats.
They were a different taper/values.

AlienVintage

Definitely from an Espanada.
Real Gibson ones didn’t have the solid shafts.
That seller has parted multiple Espanadas and sold the harnesses just like that one over the past months.