• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Marshall 2525h...or alternative

desertburstlp

So I'm looking for an upgrade from a Marshall DSL15c, which I just sold. I'm leaning towards a Silver Jubilee 2525h mini head and the matching 2 x 12 cab. It's around C$2500 (say US$2000).

I play mainly classic/hard rock and definitely want a Marshall style amp. I don't care so much about reverb - I mainly play pretty dry and with a RV-6 Boss pedal for reverb. And I have 3 kids and a wife, who I like very much and would like to remain married to, so no 100W amps.

Guitars are LP, SG and Strat (HSS).

Does anyone have experience with the Marshall or good alternatives?

Most of the well known boutique stuff seems to be at a higher price point but I'm pretty open to whatever, as long as it's easily available in Canada and I can find some online video reviews.

Thanks for any feedback.

grimlyflick

I have just recently bought a 2525H head which I play through a Zilla Creamback loaded 1x12.
For comparison, over the years I’ve had a 2553 (small box Jubilee), DSL100, JCM Slash and a DSL50, although the 2525H doesn’t quite have the “thump” of the bigger amps it certainly gets you close.

To get that extra “thump” the bigger amps need to be wound up so at lower volumes there won’t be much of a difference between the 2525H and the bigger amps, it’ll only be when you wind it up it will fall shorter than the bigger amps.

For smaller gigs and rehearsals, home use or mic’ed onstage the 2525H is a great little amp, just don’t expect it to sound like a plexi on full blast.
:salude

mtsv

So I'm looking for an upgrade from a Marshall DSL15c, which I just sold. I'm leaning towards a Silver Jubilee 2525h mini head and the matching 2 x 12 cab. It's around C$2500 (say US$2000).

I play mainly classic/hard rock and definitely want a Marshall style amp. I don't care so much about reverb - I mainly play pretty dry and with a RV-6 Boss pedal for reverb. And I have 3 kids and a wife, who I like very much and would like to remain married to, so no 100W amps.

Guitars are LP, SG and Strat (HSS).

Does anyone have experience with the Marshall or good alternatives?

Most of the well known boutique stuff seems to be at a higher price point but I'm pretty open to whatever, as long as it's easily available in Canada and I can find some online video reviews.

Thanks for any feedback.

Here is my 2 cents with my first post :)

I have the mini head with 1936 Lead 2x12" cab (it has Celestion G12T-75s) and it is truly fantastic. I presume if you use it with a matching cab with Vintage 30's, it might even be better. I use it with my Strat Plus, Les Paul (57s) and SG (490/498), I mostly think this is my best sounding amp for years. There are lots of alternatives out there but this little Marshall will never let you down.

desertburstlp

Thanks for the feedback. I ordered the 2525h and horizontal 2x12 last night.

MTSV, I have 57s in my SG. I love those pickups! I haven't tried them in an LP, mine has Burstbuckers. From the LP Trads I've heard with 57s they sound great in LPs too.

Grimlyflick, I won't get too many opportunities to crank it up. The odd time I do the 2x12 should move enough air to be entertaining. Maybe someday I will grab a Plexi and an attenuator haha. I mostly play after the kids are in bed so I can get a little volume but nothing serious. I only get to entertain the neighbours on Saturday/Sunday afternoons :dude:

Aidan

mtsv

MTSV, I have 57s in my SG. I love those pickups! I haven't tried them in an LP, mine has Burstbuckers. From the LP Trads I've heard with 57s they sound great in LPs too.

Grimlyflick, I won't get too many opportunities to crank it up. The odd time I do the 2x12 should move enough air to be entertaining. Maybe someday I will grab a Plexi and an attenuator haha. I mostly play after the kids are in bed so I can get a little volume but nothing serious. I only get to entertain the neighbours on Saturday/Sunday afternoons :dude:

Aidan

Ah, congratulations, I hope you enjoy your new set :)

One recommendation from me : If you feel that the amount of grit you are getting from the amp is not sufficient, then throw a boost pedal in front of the amp for more compression (I generally do not prefer to use the rythm clip). In fact I place a second boost in the fx loop to provide volume boost during solos. Hope this helps.
Cheers.

desertburstlp

Ah, congratulations, I hope you enjoy your new set :)

One recommendation from me : If you feel that the amount of grit you are getting from the amp is not sufficient, then throw a boost pedal in front of the amp for more compression (I generally do not prefer to use the rythm clip). In fact I place a second boost in the fx loop to provide volume boost during solos. Hope this helps.
Cheers.

Thanks I will definitely do that. I've got a few cool drive pedals (an Analogman KoT, a Fulltone OCD and an EQD Acapulco Gold). I will give them a try out front and in the loop to see what sounds best.

grimlyflick

n fact I place a second boost in the fx loop to provide volume boost during solos.

I used to use a TC Spark Boost mini in the loop of my DSL50 to raise the level without adding gain or compression. Works a treat.
:salude

TM1

Has anyone tried the new line they have, the Origin? Just curious how those are. I have a Marshall Astoria Custom and I really love it.. The loop works great especially since you can ft.switch it in and out and has a level control.

Last edited:

grimlyflick

Did you see the new DSL line? Might be worth checking out the DSL 20 head

DSL20 doesn’t have the green channel crunch mode, just clean and ultra II which is a shame, if it had the crunch mode and Ultra I of the red channel it would definately be worth checking out.

2525H is a much better amp.

desertburstlp

Has anyone tried the new line they have, the Origin? Just curious how those are. I have a Marshall Astoria Custom and I really love it.. The loop works great especially since you can ft.switch it in and out and has a level control.

The videos of the Astoria combos I've heard are very impressive.

Dave G

Did you see the new DSL line? Might be worth checking out the DSL 20 head

I have the DSL20HR and it's friggin' awesome!

DSLJC-2.jpg

STC

Aidan

Appreciate this thread is a little old, mind me asking how you're getting on with the 2525?

Also wondering whether it is too loud for home use - does the master volume do the trick?