• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Installing humbuck covers ..two Qs

garywright

..first would be ...how risky ( de-magnetization ) is using a solder gun rather than an iron ( mine crapped out )
and how many of you guys put something between the bobbin top and cover ? ...I've never had any microphonic squeals by not doing so myself and that's playing pretty loud ..have I just been lucky

MeHereNow

You use the "loop"point for soldering, and what i always understood, is that if you want to demagnatize something, it only will happen if you place the object between the "loop" and move it in 1 direction..
I'd wait and get a new solder iron to be safe and sure:salude

J.D.

No concerns with the solder gun vs. iron.

Nothing between cover and bobbins. Just be sure it is a good fit and solder it on under light pressure to ensure no air gap.

corpse

I would presolder both sides and then just heat/flow the solder- be sure to flux.

El Gringo

Okay I have some old patent # sticker T-Tops that I want to get covers for (Throbak ) and I want to know if I have to wax pot and then solder on the covers so they wont squeal . I just found the neck position T-Top Friday night , so I want to get nice gold covers for them . I have not heard these pickups in 40 years and want to restore them into my early 70's Les Paul custom which currently has the 57 classic in the neck along with the 57 classic+ in the bridge and they are okay but a tad bit harsh and what I want is for my custom to sound more like my R9 which has Custom Buckers . Regardless I want to properly get these T-Tops covered, wax potted (are they already wax potted from the factory ? even though they don't have covers on them ?) and soldered and ready to go . Should I consider to replace the magnets as well ? Can someone tell me between when the Patent # sticker T-Tops went into the Les Paul Customs ? and when they switched over to just the number T-Tops which could help me pinpoint the actual age .Sorry I still don't have photos yet (thanks Photoshop )

Last edited:

El Gringo

Update , problem solved as I reached out to ThroBak who will help me out with new covers and will do the work for me . They will not wax pot as that was not originally done and they will use a piece of tape on the slug coil along with 3 drops of silicon to adhere the cover to the bobbin along with solder on the baseplate and the cover . My compliments to ThroBak who were really wonderful and most helpful.

Progrocker111

wax potted (are they already wax potted from the factory ? even though they don't have covers on them ?) and soldered and ready to go . Should I consider to replace the magnets as well ? Can someone tell me between when the Patent # sticker T-Tops went into the Les Paul Customs ? and when they switched over to just the number T-Tops which could help me pinpoint the actual age .Sorry I still don't have photos yet (thanks Photoshop )

No, they werent wax potted.

Stickered T-Tops were in all Customs in 68-mid 74.