• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD Gibson Midtown Custom with mods

stilwel

This was a guitar that I added to my regular search list about a year ago. Finally broke down and snagged one and I'm really glad I did. I love LP's and 335's and this sits in that middle ground between them both. It's heavier, like a LP, but not obnoxiously so. I don't have an issue with the size of a 335, but the size of this body (slightly smaller than a 335) just seems perfect. It has a 60's slim neck, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that it seems to be on the larger side vs some others that have had this neck shape. Pickups are Burstbucker 1/2.

14b1e0g.jpg

Because I can't just leave things alone, I'm did some mods already. I fell in love with the look (and sound) of this particular Midtown Custom, played by Greg of Greg's Guitars, that had the chrome hardware swapped for aged gold and had lightly aged binding.

I'm going with gold Grover Rotomatic Keystones, gold Duncan Antiquity humbuckers and a gold Bigsby B6 with gold Towner Bar. I also have a set of gold reflector knobs like shown in the pic.

2cshs1z.jpg

Modified B6 with B3/B7 hinge and I drilled out the string bar. Also lightly aged the entire thing with a scotchbrite pad.

2edr40h.jpg

333a720.jpg

Lightly aged gold Grover keystone Rotomatic tuners.
sweesy.jpg

Here's where I ended up:

Bigsby dive-bombs remain in perfect tune with the Tonepros roller bridge.

2moz24m.jpg

jkdmp2.jpg

deytookerjaabs

Good Job!!

That's one thing I love about Gibson is no matter what, to me, every year they've had really nice guitars at killer prices, even more so if you buy at the end of the year. Sometimes it's the SG Standard, it was the Midtown Custom for a bit, in '16 you could get a Firebird under 1k, etc.

stilwel

Thanks guys!

Looking again at the pics I think I need to hit that bridge with the Scotchbrite pad some more, it's a bit too shiny compared to the pickups and bigsby.

Last edited:

zacknorton

In general, I’m no fan of bigsby’s - but that setup just looks “right” on that guitar. Now all you’ve got to do is bind those f holes! Tuxedo top hat and tails all the way.

Nice work!

stilwel

Weight came in at exactly 9.00 lbs, which is 0.75 less than my Norlin LP Custom.

HJR

Congrats! Thats a beauty. I had a midtown for a while and regret trading it.