• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

tweed princeton - 8" vs. 10" vs. ??

0 2339

Hey all,

i'm putting together a tweed princeton kit and haven't decided yet which speaker will go in. actually i was pretty confident about putting in a 10" but after some research i hear a lot of people claiming an 8" in combination with a bigger cabinet is the way to go.... damn decisions!
would be great to hear your thoughts/experiences on that matter. since the cab is not built yet i am open minded to any suggestions - let me know, no matter how unorthodox it might be ; )

i'd also be more than happy for specific speaker suggestions. my selection for 8" at the moment are:
- WGS G8C
- Eminence 820H
- Jupiter 8SC
... tbc

cheers and thanks

Last edited:

Professortwang

I would choose a ten over an eight inch speaker. I thinks tens and twelves sound great with little single ended Fender circuits. The Princeton has a little beefier O.T. than the champ. The bigger cabinet, OT, and greater Bass response with a ten would be a winning combination on a new build. I have a friend that runs his little Princeton home brew into a twelve that sounds amazing.

With that said a put a Fat Jimmy eight inch speaker into my little tweed champ. It is a really good match for that amp.

0 2339

hehe, thanks for the input mate : )

i decided to stick with the original design and ordered an 8" speaker since they aren't too expensive and if i dislike them it's an easy job to make a 10" baffle... or even a 12"... or...???

sonar

I was going to also say 10". I did that with my Vibro Champ build and never regretted it.

Of the 8" speakers you mentioned I really like the Jupiter 8" in my 50's Supro Spectator.

zhivago

I had a 12" on my old '56...sounded great and just about fit in the cab :)

0 2339

thanks for the input guys, it's gonna be the jupiter 8sc and i will put it in a deluxe sized cabinet.... guess that leaves me with some room to experiment with. btw. the kit comes from tube amp doctor in germany and it's gonna be my first amp build - can't wait to start working on it : )

cheers